Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I "kneed" a new speaker grille

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the first big "oops" on my Model 3 today. As I was getting out of the car, the door swung back towards me. Since my left leg was already out the door, I used my knee to stop the door's movement. Unfortunately, my knee went right through the speaker grille on the lower part of the driver's door. There is now a tear about 2 inches long in the grille, almost as if it had been cut with scissors.

I don't think there was that much impact force, so it seems the grille is pretty weak. Maybe my knee hit it just right. There's no chance they'll fix this under warranty, is there? If not, what's the best way to get a new grille?

I had my 3 brought to body shop to fix and paint some areas and when it came back the speaker grille was damaged. It was just like to described. Look like a tear in it. They had to order the whole door panel as the speaker grill doesn’t come separate. I think the door was around $600. Because the body shop did it I paid nothing as it was under warranty. Good luck.

According to the parts catalog, which is available to the general public at https://epc.teslamotors.com the grille is a separate part. You'll need to get in touch with a service center to order it.

Model 3 Door Parts.PNG

@dougb00 @Triptych Ever resolve your problem?

I was getting out of my Model 3, my left foot must have went through the speaker grille on the lower part of the drivers door! Same thing - a tear in the grille.

I am hoping to just replace the grille (wishful thinking?) Any thoughts.........

I decided to just leave it the way it is. I can manipulate the grille so it’s almost invisible, and I can’t hear any decrease in sound quality.

Exact same thing happened to me. Door swung back and hit foot while getting out. Mobile service says entire door panel would need to be replaced. Its one piece (bad design). $446 + tax for the part. I decided to wait until i damage the panel more. It pushes back together almost invisibly. Still weirdly bad design.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
I have those in silver. The clear adhesive they come with sucks ad 2 of them fell off after a week. I'm in the process of adding 3M double sided tape and reinstalling. Fingers crossed.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this just happened to us after we took delivery of our model 3 last week… in our case the roof rack box in our back seat kneed the speaker cover. I was just quoted $400 by Tesla for the whole assembly. Any luck with the double sided tape or aftermarket cover?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this just happened to us after we took delivery of our model 3 last week… in our case the roof rack box in our back seat kneed the speaker cover. I was just quoted $400 by Tesla for the whole assembly. Any luck with the double sided tape or aftermarket cover?
I just purchased those ones on aliexpress, they were fine to protect the speaker, aren't the same colour but better than buying a whole new door insert