TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I knew this day would come...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by juju, Mar 31, 2018.

1. juju

juju Member

Just not so soon. Had my new wheels for exactly one week and just curbed the rear right. :(

3A4D721B-9F04-4720-8F80-B87F628252D6.jpeg

2. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

So sorry!

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

That's how it goes. I feel ya.

My S came with 21s, but I ordered the T Sportline TST 20s so I could have all-season tires. Babied the 21s for weeks while waiting for the backorder wheels. Finally guy them, and then curbed both driverside wheels the next day.

4. juju

juju Member

Oh man. Well I guess I can say I feel your pain. I’m already planning to take it to a collision shop this week to repair the frunk “ding of death.” Add refurbish a rim to the list

5. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

“...SEN” means some nice and expensive Vossens eh? Sorry to hear. I hate self-inflicted damage. Easily repairable with many reputable shops out there these days. Good luck.

• Like x 1
  6. Atlantan

Atlantan Inactive Member

Sorry to hear this, should bee able to get it repaired at alloy wheel repair shops for about $125-$150.

• Like x 1
  7. juju

juju Member

The support means a lot, as well as the stories of others with the same experience. I told myself not to go down that road and did it anyway. Vossens were ~$2k (not including tires). $150ish is worth it. I'll be more careful from here on out

8. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

0617CB1F-A8D2-4C03-9A29-D0D2289C35C4.jpeg A45FE7AF-89E5-4A12-8111-EF636A951DAF.jpeg
    This should make you feel a little better. :)
    My wife lost a major fight with a bridge curb. Amazed at the work my shop did on it, especially for a machined-face ///M wheel.

• Like x 2
  9. juju

juju Member

NICE! And yes, it does :)

10. zackmilo

zackmilo Professional moron

Got 22's on X. Within 24 hours curbed.:mad:

11. outie

outie Active Member

Feel the pain. Couple years back I took European Delivery of a BMW M3. In an unfamiliar country road and unfamiliar car I ended up curbing both front and back of passenger side wheels on the same day while driving on the road. Ouch.

Luckily it was covered by $0 deductible insurance included in their European Delivery program so I got new wheels when I took re-delivery in the US.

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It’s happened to many of us so don’t feel bad. One week after having a new set of Arachnids powder coated in chrome black I curbed the right rear. Have done this to two other sets of wheels. One has to remember to give curbs a very wide berth.

13. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

#13 Doanster1, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    “We” (enthusiasts) increase our chances of curbing wheels because we generally look for end spots to park, which means concrete on one side. We also try to get as close to said concrete so that oblivious people parked next to us may ding our doors. Pick your poison I guess.

• Like x 1
  14. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

My "problem" is street parking. I've been lucky not to curb my passenger side wheels when parallel parking, but in Cincinnati EV owners can get a free sticker that allows for free parking at all metered spots. I use it a lot in the area around downtown, but pulling in nice and tight to that curb every time is a little nerve-wracking. Then again, most of the garages downtown are pretty tight too.