Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I learned two very importance maintenance related issues with my Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have learned two very important maintenance related items for Model Y owners (and pertains to other Teslas I'm sure)
  1. I had to have my windshield replaced last week and evidently when doing so, it causes an issue with the "auto" function on the AC to only blow out of the top vent (defrost mode). Evidently there are a couple of sensors for the windshield, not the cameras, that require a software update to recalibrate. A soft reboot doesn't do the trick. Set up a mobile service request under the "software" option and request them to repush a software update (even if its the same version you are on. This will correct the AC issue. I did not have to recalibrate the windshield cameras.
2. For the past two weeks I have heard water sloshing around on the drivers side under the steering wheel. It was driving me crazy and I was convinced rain had somehow gotten into the car. I could only hear it with the AC off and radio off when taking a turn or hitting a bump. My wife solved the puzzle. The washer fluid was somewhat low (didn't have an alert that it was low) causing enough room in the fluid resovoir to create this sound. It had gotten to the point where I took my drivers side door apart to see if there was water inside. Moral of the story, take your wife's advice and keep the fluid topped off.

I have learned two very important maintenance related items for Model Y owners (and pertains to other Teslas I'm sure)
  1. I had to have my windshield replaced last week and evidently when doing so, it causes an issue with the "auto" function on the AC to only blow out of the top vent (defrost mode). Evidently there are a couple of sensors for the windshield, not the cameras, that require a software update to recalibrate. A soft reboot doesn't do the trick. Set up a mobile service request under the "software" option and request them to repush a software update (even if its the same version you are on. This will correct the AC issue. I did not have to recalibrate the windshield cameras.
2. For the past two weeks I have heard water sloshing around on the drivers side under the steering wheel. It was driving me crazy and I was convinced rain had somehow gotten into the car. I could only hear it with the AC off and radio off when taking a turn or hitting a bump. My wife solved the puzzle. The washer fluid was somewhat low (didn't have an alert that it was low) causing enough room in the fluid resovoir to create this sound. It had gotten to the point where I took my drivers side door apart to see if there was water inside. Moral of the story, take your wife's advice and keep the fluid topped off.
Agreed- Wife is always right :)

It had gotten to the point where I took my drivers side door apart to see if there was water inside.
You took your door apart to find a reservoir of liquid before looking at... the actual reservoir of liquid to see if it was sloshing?

(FWIW: I've noticed that too. The slosh of the wiper fluid is more audible in the Y than in other cars I've driven. I just never thought it was a problem to solve.)

Reactions: Ormond and jebinc
I dislike the fact that the fluid reservoir is black and there is no way to tell fluid level until
you add enough fluid so level is almost overflowing. Bad design imo.
Should have been clear like almost every other car in the world.
But you can only see the very top, not sure how being clear would make it easier, just saying...

I dislike the fact that the fluid reservoir is black and there is no way to tell fluid level until
you add enough fluid so level is almost overflowing. Bad design imo.
Should have been clear like almost every other car in the world.
Well my previous few cars had the reservoir tucked away where you couldn’t see it. Just a loooong filler tube. Same deal.

Reactions: CapsEngineer