Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I like it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I and my wife like the new Model Y. It will be the perfect replacement for her aging CRV; I just hope that I can keep the CRV propped up until we can buy one. Keeping the family resemblance and especially the front end treatment was a good idea; it is to the Model 3 what the Model X was to the Model S. The European manufacturers have done the same styling cues in small, medium, and large versions of their cars and SUVs forever and it has helped to keep their premium brand image intact as they offered cars in many price ranges. It also says that Tesla realizes that they are now an established car company that is confident enough in who they are to introduce a new model in a different market segment without having to make it look like some whiz bang spaceship.

I and my wife like the new Model Y. It will be the perfect replacement for her aging CRV; I just hope that I can keep the CRV propped up until we can buy one. Keeping the family resemblance and especially the front end treatment was a good idea; it is to the Model 3 what the Model X was to the Model S. The European manufacturers have done the same styling cues in small, medium, and large versions of their cars and SUVs forever and it has helped to keep their premium brand image intact as they offered cars in many price ranges. It also says that Tesla realizes that they are now an established car company that is confident enough in who they are to introduce a new model in a different market segment without having to make it look like some whiz bang spaceship.
I do like it but I am disappointed with the range. 300 miles real world range really means 300 miles California range. We in cold weather climates need so much more. Perhaps a later version will approach 400. It would be great to provide winter driving convenience. All wheel drive is important for mid western drivers. 280 miles rated range in winter could be well below 200 On a typical winter day. I will probably buy one anyway but I am still disappointed. Otherwise I really like the car.

Me too.

I wanted to reserve a red one as soon as the streaming concluded as I am determined to go all electric but my wife mumbled something about how much she loves her GLK. Walked past her 15 minutes later then she said she would take a blue one because we already have a red S. Reserved a LR AWD in blue but I think it will be a red one when we take delivery some time in the future.

Reactions: Hans L and byeLT4
I wanted to reserve a red one as soon as the streaming concluded as I am determined to go all electric but my wife mumbled something about how much she loves her GLK. Walked past her 15 minutes later then she said she would take a blue one because we already have a red S. Reserved a LR AWD in blue but I think it will be a red one when we take delivery some time in the future.
My wife loved her Mercedes ML until she drove the Model X now I could not pry it from her.

Reactions: Hans L
X is still the best out there although I think Y is the best looking CUV of them all. The side profile has the perfect proportion and detail. Much better than the X or similar sporty CUV like BMW X6 and Mercedes GLE coupe. That plus the price/performance made it pretty obvious that Bolt, I-Pace or whatever VW, Audi.. will come up with don't even have a fighting chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJFW8
The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on TMC. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300 mile range is by far unbeatable for any EV Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to their market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Here’s the way I intend to set mine up... Performance, black, white interior, tints, lowered, 21” wheels etc
(Click onto the image to enlarge)
006C5FAF-8084-4923-AA09-54D4EB53527A.jpeg

I do like it but I am disappointed with the range. 300 miles real world range really means 300 miles California range. We in cold weather climates need so much more. Perhaps a later version will approach 400. It would be great to provide winter driving convenience. All wheel drive is important for mid western drivers. 280 miles rated range in winter could be well below 200 On a typical winter day. I will probably buy one anyway but I am still disappointed. Otherwise I really like the car.

Do you really need more range? Or do you actually need more V3 Supercharger infrastructure?

• Helpful
Reactions: MXWing and IdaX
Do you really need more range? Or do you actually need more V3 Supercharger infrastructure?

In California, I would agree. V3 will help a lot. In winter Wisconsin we need more range. Also, don't hold your breath waiting for V3 deployment. I predict 2 or 3 years before wide deployment on interstate travel routes.

I wish Tesla would release some numbers, if they have not already. I hate driving so I have a hard time understanding folks that say they must have 300, 400 or 500 miles of range. I’ve got all the range I need every morning, who all is driving 5, 7 or 8 hours daily, without stopping? Even if winter driving cuts the range in half, how many are making those kinds or daily treks? I’m sure there are some out there but I’d like to see Tesla’s numbers on miles driven per day.

I still have my small 4 cylinder truck and it only gets a little over 300 miles in range and 95% of the time it’s not got a full tank. Filling up on gas is faster but I don’t think everyone appreciates how nice it is to never go to a gas station. Quick to fill up but you still take the time to get to one and have to (use a credit card, eww) worry about it and maybe the station is slammed so you put it off and so on.

I just hope that the Tesla truck is not too crazy and comes sooner than later. I’ve got an early deposit down on a Rivian, your move Musky.

I wish Tesla would release some numbers, if they have not already. I hate driving so I have a hard time understanding folks that say they must have 300, 400 or 500 miles of range. I’ve got all the range I need every morning, who all is driving 5, 7 or 8 hours daily, without stopping? Even if winter driving cuts the range in half, how many are making those kinds or daily treks? I’m sure there are some out there but I’d like to see Tesla’s numbers on miles driven per day.

I still have my small 4 cylinder truck and it only gets a little over 300 miles in range and 95% of the time it’s not got a full tank. Filling up on gas is faster but I don’t think everyone appreciates how nice it is to never go to a gas station. Quick to fill up but you still take the time to get to one and have to (use a credit card, eww) worry about it and maybe the station is slammed so you put it off and so on.

I just hope that the Tesla truck is not too crazy and comes sooner than later. I’ve got an early deposit down on a Rivian, your move Musky.
My neighbor who is a retired physician said he would never own an all electric car because when he drives to LA, which is an 8 hour trip he does not want to stop!

My neighbor who is a retired physician said he would never own an all electric car because when he drives to LA, which is an 8 hour trip he does not want to stop!

Your neighbor is not valuing

- the days he is NOT driving to LA.
- quality of drive with eap and coolness of a Tesla.
- much less fatigue with eap.

Stops with a lr rwd Model 3 and a v3 supercharging is practically a non event.

You need to upsell better. :)

Reactions: PJFW8
Your neighbor is not valuing

- the days he is NOT driving to LA.
- quality of drive with eap and coolness of a Tesla.
- much less fatigue with eap.

Stops with a lr rwd Model 3 and a v3 supercharging is practically a non event.

You need to upsell better. :)
See my reply to SoCal dude, I have been working on him for years and will continue. He has solar and two hybrid cars and does care about the environment just hard headed.