Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I like to swim in the ocean but cannot have the key card or key fob with me. Solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP has a serious question. This is an issue with most modern cars that use key fobs instead of old fashioned metal keys.

Putting key card inside a waterproof baggie or waterproof case should solve the problem.

Key card is already waterproof, it just needs a way to secure it to limb whilst swimming. Hole punch, elastic pocket strap... sewn pocket in swimmers/wetsuit. I see this as a a non issue.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I'm surprise that face recognition, iris recognition, or fingerprint is not common to unlock your car.

I used it all the time with my smartphone for many years, and all the Tesla have a camera on the side pillar.

From almost 3 years ago-

Elon Musk on Twitter

(also not sure how secure it'd be using the totally-not-designed-for-that B pillar camera, versus the much more secure methods stuff like phones use where they're using IR projection and reading)

Putting key card inside a waterproof baggie or waterproof case should solve the problem.

Key card is already waterproof, it just needs a way to secure it to limb whilst swimming. Hole punch, elastic pocket strap... sewn pocket in swimmers/wetsuit. I see this as a a non issue.

Exactly. I go swimming with my RFID cards all the time. Hotel keys, Tesla key, etc. They fit perfectly in the little “key pocket” that tucks inside my trunks.

The 2020 Tesla Roadster don't have any door handle and use a swipe motion. I guess using fingerprint recognition ?

2020RoadsterSwipe.jpg

Those cheaper CNICK rings worth with a Model 3? Which chip did you select? Their Tesla-specific ones are way more expensive.

Hmmm. Didn’t know you could select different chips. All I know is they work great. Both wife and I have one. I’m brutal to mine. It’s getting a little scratched up but considering what i’ve put it thru it still looks good. I thought the T would scrape off by now but hasn’t shown any wear other than the shine is off the whole surface a bit. Wife’s looks like new. Took ours awhile to arrive but still arrived just before our car did. Woohoo. I rarely have the app running. I use the ring almost exclusively.

Reactions: KenC
Thanks. I shall definitely look into that. I've never worn rings before but I suppose there can be a first time.

If you go the ring route make sure it's not loose. My wedding ring is easy to slip on and off which gets way worse in cold water. I remove it when swimming so I don't lose it.

I might check out the rings myself though, that's pretty convenient.

If you go the ring route make sure it's not loose. My wedding ring is easy to slip on and off which gets way worse in cold water. I remove it when swimming so I don't lose it.

I might check out the rings myself though, that's pretty convenient.

I was concerned about sizing so I sent an email to the guys at CNICK. They said to go to a jewelry store and have it sized properly. Which we did and it was perfect. I think I have taken it off once to get paint off my finger.

Reactions: Z28diddy
With my previous car I could carry a car key on an elastic band around my neck while swimming in the ocean. With the Tesla I cannot do that and I dare not leave a key card or fob on the shore. Suggestions?
Get a ring, or maybe the AppleWatch can work for you. You can swim with it in the ocean, now. There are 3rd-party apps that can unlock the door. If you put a keycard or your phone in a faraday bag, before closing the door, you should be able to walk away, have it lock, then use the Watch to open the door.