Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I live in NJ, can I take delivery of Model 3 at the factory to get priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is in the title: I live in NJ, can I take delivery of Model 3 at the factory to get priority? If so, what would I need to do to make it happen and when.

Below is my thinking on why I might want to do this.

I know it early, but Tesla's announced process for Model 3 deliveries has me thinking I am looking at the second half of 2018 for delivery.

I will be at a Tesla Store overnight on March 30, so I should be near the beginning of the line on the 31st. I know I want many options including the largest available battery, Subzero and AWD. I will get Supercharging and Autopilot {fingers crossed for v 2.0) if it is not included in the base. I need more information on a possible performance version. I like the idea and it certainly would be fun, but if it costs an extra $20K, I don't know.

I am not an employee.

I do not own a Roadster, S or X and it is still unclear how much preference current owners will get. Will it be ongoing so that if a current owner reserves in June of 2017 they will be ahead of me? That could make a huge difference.

Since I am on the East Coast, deliveries in most of country will be scheduled before me, all other things being equal.

When I first heard about the possible California Sales Tax exemption for out of state buyers, I asked my wife if she would be interested in a cross county drive to pick up the car. I even threw in a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway, a visit with her brother in Southern California and a couple of days in Vegas. She didn't say no, she said hell no.

Now though I am thinking it could shave months off of the delivery date and maybe make a difference on the Federal Tax Credit front. If it does make a difference it would be at least $1875 which could pay for the cross county trip. Well, maybe not the few days in Vegas.;)

There is of course the possibility I am showing signs of an unhealthy obsession, but it would be my obsession and I am willing to stand behind it 100%.

I plan on calling a representative as soon as we're assigned one (or just checking this forum!) because I'm interested in this as well. I doubt we'll do anything on 3/31 about this - I'd imagine that will just be 1) sign in 2) click Reserve 3) sign out.

But yeah, at some point I hear we'll get assigned a rep and then they help us the rest of the way. If CA delivery means the difference between a $7500 credit and $3750 credit, or even between the $3750/$1875 or $1875/$0, it's worth a trip to CA, where you can get a factory tour and bragging rights at your local SC's about being one of the first in your area to have the Model 3. Then I/we can either drive back or just ship it for $1000 by car carrier.

I was thinking the same when I first heard about it. Driving across the states sounds like a fun road trip.

I also have 13 percent sales tax so I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to lower it by getting it in another state / country. Logistically living in Canada I'm sure it's not worth it and complicated.

Maybe we could set up a club and have 20 or 30 people drive their cares back to the east coast. Ahha

I've been looking for an excuse to drive Route 66 (or what's left of it) for years. This sounds like as good a reason as any. I'm sure I could talk my wife into a 2 week vacation/road trip a couple of years from now.

Now though I am thinking it could shave months off of the delivery date

Probably not. My guess is that you will be prioritized based on where you live, not were you pick the car up. But you may shave a few weeks (maybe tree?) of - the time it takes to gt the car from Fremont to your nearest shop, but not more. But I'm sure it will be a fun trip, and if you can combine it with a tour of the factory... :) I would have done the same if it wasn't for a bit of water between there and here :p

I would be interested as well. You would also save money by not paying the delivery fee for the car.

At what point would this come up? Design studio?

If they won't let you pick it up at the factory can I have it delivered to my cousin in CA to get it earlier?

I believe it was said on the Tesla forum that it can be done and it has been done for the S and X. We asked our sales rep if it could be done and he said it could - That doesn't mean they won't change it for the 3, however. I will definitely be interested in this not only for the credit but to get the car sooner. And I've been wanting to do the cross country trip - just not both ways. ;)

Also, as of now, you have to pay CA tax if you pick up the car there. In my state, if we buy in a neighboring state we don't pay tax there, but do have to pay local sales tax when you register it in your state. There is legislation in CA to get it changed so that you don't have to pay CA state tax if you live outside CA and elect to pick up the car at the factory - hopefully this will be resolved by the time the 3 is released. If not, though, our guy said to just elect to pick it up in Oregon instead. Perhaps their laws are similar to what it is here in RI? That you only pay the tax in the state you register it in. All this will become clear later on, I expect.

EDIT: Tesla is saying there will be a queue for each region. So I guess asking about taking delivery in a different region will have to be done when you make the reservation. IF it can be done.

In my state, if we buy in a neighboring state we don't pay tax there, but do have to pay local sales tax when you register it in your state.
This isn't entirely accurate - if you take delivery of the car in MA (like CA), you are supposed to pay MA sales tax. MA collect sales tax on all car sales that occur in-state, regardless of whether the buyer is a MA resident or not. This is different from other states (such as VT), that only collect tax from in-state resident buyers. I'm presuming RI will give you a credit for tax paid MA (or CA).

This isn't entirely accurate - if you take delivery of the car in MA (like CA), you are supposed to pay MA sales tax. MA collect sales tax on all car sales that occur in-state, regardless of whether the buyer is a MA resident or not. This is different from other states (such as VT), that only collect tax from in-state resident buyers. I'm presuming RI will give you a credit for tax paid MA (or CA).
Maybe that is true. I know that I don't pay twice.

My understanding .... to be taken with 2 grains of salt ...

• States usually have agreements to not charge sales tax twice, but the state where the car is bought will typically collect
  • If your state tax is higher, then no problem: you pay the difference
  • If your state is lower, it is up to you and the state of purchase to refund the difference. California has either said "pound sand," or just been really difficult to deal with when a refund is requested.
Since the order queue is by region, I thought about choosing the most eastward state of the western region that has the most customer friendly sales tax policy.

Last edited:
My understanding .... to be taken with 2 grains of salt ...

• States usually have agreements to not charge sales tax twice, but the state where the car is bought will typically collect
  • If your state tax is higher, then no problem: you pay the difference
  • If your state is lower, it is up to you and the state of purchase to refund the difference. California has either said "pound sound," or just been really difficult to deal with when a refund is requested.
Since the order queue is by region, I thought about choosing the most eastward state of the western region that has the most customer friendly sales tax policy.

There is no sales tax on cars in Oregon. If I can choose to get it there, I will. And will pay RI tax when I register it.

Reactions: tga
There is no sales tax on cars in Oregon. If I can choose to get it there, I will. And will pay RI tax when I register it.
Thanks, this is a great idea - if the law repealing sales tax on "tourist delivery" in CA goes through, I'll pick up at the factory, take the tour, and drive home on Rt 66. If the CA law doesn't go through, I'll pick up in OR, drive to the factory for the tour, then continue.

I already talked to my wife about the trip - she's totally on board!

Reactions: SageBrush
Thanks, this is a great idea - if the law repealing sales tax on "tourist delivery" in CA goes through, I'll pick up at the factory, take the tour, and drive home on Rt 66. If the CA law doesn't go through, I'll pick up in OR, drive to the factory for the tour, then continue.

I already talked to my wife about the trip - she's totally on board!
Great TGA...those are my plans exactly. We can dish on route planning. ;)

Is factory pickup something that anybody can do, forgetting about possible savings in taxes?

I'd think about doing it and driving it back to Los Angeles.

Just for the fun of it, not looking to get it earlier, or save any money.

is it something easily done?

-smak-

Is factory pickup something that anybody can do, forgetting about possible savings in taxes?

I'd think about doing it and driving it back to Los Angeles.r S

Just for the fun of it, not looking to get it earlier, or save any money.

is it something easily done?

-smak-

We did a factory pick up for our S in November 2013... Drove up to Sonoma, then back down to Southern California. Hit every supercharger on 101 and then the Hawthorne Supercharger before going home... I wrote about my experience on my blog.