TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I lose 10 miles per day while the car is stationary.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by AMPd, Aug 3, 2016.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I only use my Model S on the weekends, during the week I use the Prius.
    I lose 10 miles give or take every 24 hour period.

I checked in the morning I had 214 miles
    Next morning I had 203
    Next morning I had 195

Is that normal? My old s85 never lost that much range while parked

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

No, at least not from my experience... I hate to ask you since I know you're aware of this but do you have energy savings turned on?

Jeff

• Informative x 1
  3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I do not know what that is, is that the "always connected" feature?
    If so then I do not have the energy savings on, when I turned off the always connected feature I had trouble loading the app, I'd constantly get the "cannot connect" Error

4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

This is what I have set on my car.

Jeff

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  5. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

With energy savings off, my vampire drain was usually 8-10 miles per day. With energy savings on, and always connected off, it is normally in the 2-3 miles per day range. So, from my single data point, looking at your numbers above @AMPd, what you are seeing really isn't that unusual given your settings.

• Informative x 2
  6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

#6 jerry33, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Always connected will take some. Also if it's hot, the pump and perhaps the A/C will run to keep the electronics and battery cool. If you check with the App or one of the third party utilities frequently, that will cause the car to become active. My understanding is that the longer the car sits without doing anything, the deeper the sleep will be. Anything that causes it to wake will reduce the amount of deep sleep.

Another thought is that the 12V battery may be getting weak and the car is using more energy, and waking more frequently, to keep it charged.

Update: I saw the picture and thought you had energy savings on already. That alone is enough to explain it.

• Informative x 1
  7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Mine is off, I will turn it on!
    Thank you so much!

Thank you, I will turn energy saving option on!

8. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

I've understood that best practice is to keep the car plugged in when not in use. Yes, there would be energy use if you're seeing this drain, but you wouldn't have to worry about range loss.

• Like x 1
  9. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

As @jerry33 mentioned, do you use TeslaFi, TeslaLog, or any other third party software that use Tesla APIs? If so turn off polling. If the software access Tesla API during the car is in sleep, it may wake the car up and bring it to idle, which will cause more range loss.

In my case it's about 6km or 4 miles per 24h, with 24h dashcam on.

• Like x 1
  10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It's not the range loss I'm worried about, just wanted to know what's causing such inefficiency

Now I do! :)
    Thank you all!
    I'll keep my eye on it after turning on the energy saving mode, I only check the app once per day... I don't know why... I just like looking at it, I miss it!

11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I do not use 3rd party apps or programs, just the tesla app that I check once per day.

• Like x 1
  12. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Curious, why the Prius mid-week?

Not judging, just want to know why? I mean, P90D or Prius...

I commute every day in my Smart ED while my wife's Tesla Model S sits in the garage most days. I just don't see the point of driving such a large car on small city streets for a commute like mine.

That said, looking forward to the Tesla Model 3, should make for a nice commuting car. l-)

• Like x 1
  13. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

I'm going to watch my vampire loss more closely. I think I'm losing about 14 miles a day.

• Like x 1
  14. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I have a physically demanding job that leaves me sweaty and dirty, + work tools
    I used the tesla at first but then bought a used Prius as a work car, keeping the p90d's interior in pristine shape
    I hate having to use an ice car but it's a short commute, less than 10 miles, and the Prius is quite efficient when babied.

• Like x 2
  15. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Hi, @AMPd , could you try to quit Tesla app when you finish using it, instead of just bringing it into background? Are you using Android or iPhone?
    Especially with Android, apps sometimes run in background and issues API calls, which then cause the car to wake up. I always kill the app after use.

• Informative x 1
  16. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'm on the iPhone
    Interesting, I've never actually killed the app, I'll start doing that from now on as well.
    Thank you!

• Like x 1
  17. SDRick

SDRick Member

#17 SDRick, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    10 miles a day loss is fairly significant. That is like 3000 W or so per day or about 1 MW per year (3000 miles driving). I thought the wall charger 100 W per day phantom drain was a bit much for a green LED light.

Best case, what is the lowest anyone is seeing for kilowatt or mileage loss per day on a idle Tesla?

• Like x 1
  18. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

Another battery hog is the smart preconditioning setting... This feature tries to guess when you drive your car every day and turns on the climate control to pre condition your car with ac or heat.

19. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I have that turned off
    Don't use it regularly enough to have any use for that

20. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

On a recent 8 day trip with Energy Savings ON and Always Connected ON, I lost an average of 3.5 miles/day.

• Helpful x 1