Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I lose 10 miles per day while the car is stationary.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I only use my Model S on the weekends, during the week I use the Prius.
I lose 10 miles give or take every 24 hour period.

I checked in the morning I had 214 miles
Next morning I had 203
Next morning I had 195

Is that normal? My old s85 never lost that much range while parked

No, at least not from my experience... I hate to ask you since I know you're aware of this but do you have energy savings turned on?

Jeff
I do not know what that is, is that the "always connected" feature?
If so then I do not have the energy savings on, when I turned off the always connected feature I had trouble loading the app, I'd constantly get the "cannot connect" Error

This is what I have set on my car.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Informative
Reactions: AMPd
Always connected will take some. Also if it's hot, the pump and perhaps the A/C will run to keep the electronics and battery cool. If you check with the App or one of the third party utilities frequently, that will cause the car to become active. My understanding is that the longer the car sits without doing anything, the deeper the sleep will be. Anything that causes it to wake will reduce the amount of deep sleep.

Another thought is that the 12V battery may be getting weak and the car is using more energy, and waking more frequently, to keep it charged.

Update: I saw the picture and thought you had energy savings on already. That alone is enough to explain it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
This is what I have set on my car.

Jeff
Mine is off, I will turn it on!
Thank you so much!

With energy savings off, my vampire drain was usually 8-10 miles per day. With energy savings on, and always connected off, it is normally in the 2-3 miles per day range. So, from my single data point, looking at your numbers above @AMPd, what you are seeing really isn't that unusual given your settings.
Thank you, I will turn energy saving option on!

I only use my Model S on the weekends, during the week I use the Prius.
I lose 10 miles give or take every 24 hour period.

I checked in the morning I had 214 miles
Next morning I had 203
Next morning I had 195

Is that normal? My old s85 never lost that much range while parked

I've understood that best practice is to keep the car plugged in when not in use. Yes, there would be energy use if you're seeing this drain, but you wouldn't have to worry about range loss.

As @jerry33 mentioned, do you use TeslaFi, TeslaLog, or any other third party software that use Tesla APIs? If so turn off polling. If the software access Tesla API during the car is in sleep, it may wake the car up and bring it to idle, which will cause more range loss.

In my case it's about 6km or 4 miles per 24h, with 24h dashcam on.

I've understood that best practice is to keep the car plugged in when not in use. Yes, there would be energy use if you're seeing this drain, but you wouldn't have to worry about range loss.
It's not the range loss I'm worried about, just wanted to know what's causing such inefficiency

Now I do! :)
Thank you all!
I'll keep my eye on it after turning on the energy saving mode, I only check the app once per day... I don't know why... I just like looking at it, I miss it!

As @jerry33 mentioned, do you use TeslaFi, TeslaLog, or any other third party software that use Tesla APIs? If so turn off polling. If the software access Tesla API during the car is in sleep, it may wake the car up and bring it to idle, which will cause more range loss.

In my case it's about 6km or 4 miles per 24h, with 24h dashcam on.
I do not use 3rd party apps or programs, just the tesla app that I check once per day.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I only use my Model S on the weekends, during the week I use the Prius

Curious, why the Prius mid-week?

Not judging, just want to know why? I mean, P90D or Prius...

I commute every day in my Smart ED while my wife's Tesla Model S sits in the garage most days. I just don't see the point of driving such a large car on small city streets for a commute like mine.

That said, looking forward to the Tesla Model 3, should make for a nice commuting car. l-)

Curious, why the Prius mid-week?

Not judging, just want to know why? I mean, P90D or Prius...

I commute every day in my Smart ED while my wife's Tesla Model S sits in the garage most days. I just don't see the point of driving such a large car on small city streets for a commute like mine.

That said, looking forward to the Tesla Model 3, should make for a nice commuting car. l-)
I have a physically demanding job that leaves me sweaty and dirty, + work tools
I used the tesla at first but then bought a used Prius as a work car, keeping the p90d's interior in pristine shape
I hate having to use an ice car but it's a short commute, less than 10 miles, and the Prius is quite efficient when babied.

Hi, @AMPd , could you try to quit Tesla app when you finish using it, instead of just bringing it into background? Are you using Android or iPhone?
Especially with Android, apps sometimes run in background and issues API calls, which then cause the car to wake up. I always kill the app after use.
I'm on the iPhone
Interesting, I've never actually killed the app, I'll start doing that from now on as well.
Thank you!

Reactions: hiroshiy
10 miles a day loss is fairly significant. That is like 3000 W or so per day or about 1 MW per year (3000 miles driving). I thought the wall charger 100 W per day phantom drain was a bit much for a green LED light.

Best case, what is the lowest anyone is seeing for kilowatt or mileage loss per day on a idle Tesla?

Last edited:
10 miles a day loss is fairly significant. That is like 3000 W or so per day or about 1 MW per year (3000 miles driving). I thought the wall charger 100 W per day phantom drain was a bit much for a green LED light.

Best case, what is the lowest anyone is seeing for kilowatt or mileage loss per day on a idle Tesla?
On a recent 8 day trip with Energy Savings ON and Always Connected ON, I lost an average of 3.5 miles/day.

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear