Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love electric car so much, But how it comes without a center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love electric car so much, But how it comes without a center console, where can I put my cell phone, my cool sun-glasses, my business bag? A little bit sad.

Anyone can give a good suggestion; I don’t want to spend more than 200USD. It would be better if it less than 100USD. Hope Tesla will design some for us, with a lower price…

There will be more and more people going to buy a Tesla, do you think so?

I love not having a center console. It was a "cover up" in old ICE vehicles because they needed it. I liked Tesla's approach of not installing one de facto and having an option to install one later. I put groceries, laptops, purses, bags, etc into the "bowling alley" and it's great. I use a magnetic cell phone mount and the cubby under the screen for my sunglasses, pens, and glass wipes.

It seems like Model X comes with one standard, so that might appease your concerns. I don't think there's a way for Tesla to sell that center console for that cheap, I would imagine the leather + trim is quite expensive.

Cubby is great... for showing my friends how I can launch my cell phone, gum, etc when I try and show off from a stop. Seriously I think this was an oversight on Tesla's part that they try and pass off as "some people want a giant cavern to put their stuff in". We want a standard center console. One that I can hide my gun in! And maybe add a cupholder or two that will fit my workout water bottles... And not for $600!

How many hundreds of times has this come up in this forum and the teslamotors.com forum? I guarantee you if they'd included center console storage as default you wouldn't have so many complaints about them not keeping it open :)

At this site it shows a number of different options for a Center Console storage solution. You might find something in your price range and aesthetic standards. There is another one I think I found here at TMC, If I find it I will post back here. Just for full disclosure I am very happy with the EVannex CCI. It has the storage I want, and looks better(in my opinion) than the Tesla Center Console. Good Luck!

Father Bill

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a video on another Center Console solution. It does not mention a price but I can't imagine it to be as expensive as the Tesla or Evannex versions.

Update: Just found the info on the center console mentioned in the video http://www.marenaind.com/teslachargingstation.html

Peace,

Father Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Cubby is great... for showing my friends how I can launch my cell phone, gum, etc when I try and show off from a stop. Seriously I think this was an oversight on Tesla's part that they try and pass off as "some people want a giant cavern to put their stuff in". We want a standard center console. One that I can hide my gun in! And maybe add a cupholder or two that will fit my workout water bottles... And not for $600!

Pretty much my feeling.

Why didn't they add a cover to the cubby? They could've just extended it to the floor, it would yield much more storage whilst retaining the openness of the yacht floor. My lady friends actually love the yacht floor as a perfect place to lay their purse.

I love electric car so much, But how it comes without a center console, where can I put my cell phone, my cool sun-glasses, my business bag? A little bit sad.

Anyone can give a good suggestion; I don’t want to spend more than 200USD. It would be better if it less than 100USD. Hope Tesla will design some for us, with a lower price…

There will be more and more people going to buy a Tesla, do you think so?

Put your cell phone in your pocket or on the carpeted area between the seats, the sunglasses on the shelf under the main screen, and the open area between the seats is perfect for your business bag. I love the openness of the car rather than having a center console. Think of all the stuff people used to need spaces for that they don't any more-- no need for maps because of GPS, no need for CDs because of USB port, no need for change now on most toll roads.

Why is $600 a problem?

Just like you spent $2500 on the stereo upgrade you wanted, but is not standard, just spend the $600 and get the center console you want that is not standard.

Personally I like the space, but if I get tired of it or my needs change, I'll buy the console.

- - - Updated - - -

Why didn't they add a cover to the cubby?
I agree there should be a door on the cubby. When launching, stuff does occasionally fall out of there, though since I only have a 90D, most of the time it does not.

Tesla Model S Aftermarket Accessories by EVannex sells a cover for the cubby, but for some reason they only sell it with their center console.

Storage accessories for the Tesla Model S - Tesla Drawer looks promising, but is insanely priced.

Our Model S is my wife's car...I wanted to get the console, but she said no because the open space is where she drops her purse.

I think the center console thing is just as subjective as the look and colour of any car...some love it, others loath it...

For a car with a clean minimalist design it is really silly to have an exposed cavity beneath the LCD screen where you can launch projectiles or have things fall off of as you launch the car. That exposed hole has always bothered me.

Also agree it is silly for a car in this price range to require the purchase of a center console if you don't want an ugly crow's nest of exposed USB cables along with your phone, media SSD drive and anything else you have there all exposed as an unsightly mess and moving around as you drive the car. Apparently Tesla agrees with this sentiment as the Center Console is standard in the Model X and IMHO it should also be standard in the Model S. You should not have to buy some accessory to dock your cellphone or conceal a plugged in media device in any modern car.

I did many research on center consoles before I pickup my MS. After a week of owning the car without it, I'm glad I didn't buy it, I love the huge space, my wife can put her bag there, not just limited to cell phone and small stuffs.

Insanely priced is an understatement. For some reason I feel like people who make accessories for this car assume we are all billionaires. Well I don't have 3 comma's yet so I'll just have to pass on this. (Nice website by the way - that adds about $10 to the value of the drawer)

I'm seriously thinking about doing something in this space. I have access to the equipment and design skills to make all kinds of console and drawer options. I just don't have the time.

Our Model S is my wife's car...I wanted to get the console, but she said no because the open space is where she drops her purse.

I think the center console thing is just as subjective as the look and colour of any car...some love it, others loath it...

The center console space as a purse caddy was the first thing my wife noticed. I'm sure it was one of those little details that helped make the decision to buy her car.

I love not having a center console. It was a "cover up" in old ICE vehicles because they needed it. I liked Tesla's approach of not installing one de facto and having an option to install one later. I put groceries, laptops, purses, bags, etc into the "bowling alley" and it's great. I use a magnetic cell phone mount and the cubby under the screen for my sunglasses, pens, and glass wipes.

It seems like Model X comes with one standard, so that might appease your concerns. I don't think there's a way for Tesla to sell that center console for that cheap, I would imagine the leather + trim is quite expensive.

My husband looooves that my ginormously huge purse can fit between the front seats. I'm not really missing the cubby id throw extraneous crap in to; it has forced me to not store stupid stuff I don't need in random places. I too use the small shelf under the main screen for sunglasses/my phone.