Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love electric car so much, But how it comes without a center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Getting an extension cable is easy enough, but what would be nice would be an actual cradle that could be attached to the inside of the lid so the phone could be dropped into it once plugged in. What would work best would be something designed to be attached using the same two screws that Tesla uses, and that replaces the cable and the connector that are currently in place. If the bottom of the compartment is lifted off, it would be easy enough to unscrew Tesla's part. Likewise, it would be easy for Tesla to replace that piece of junk with something that attaches in the same place. For what they charge, it would be easy enough for them to come up with a cradle and make it work with whatever cable a person wants to use, including a solution for anybody with more than one type of phone in the family.

Tesla showed off a nice cradle for the X. I haven't seen it in person, but why can't they come up with something for the S now that they claim to have designed a decent phone cradle?

I agree, it was basically a deal breaker for me, this aftermarket one, I have not seen a picture of. but seems or at least sounds like it would not be far off from those cheapo advanced autoparts plastic center consoles lol. Just bums me out I used to rest my hand on the gear shift / arm rest. this arm rest is just too far back is all. and nothing to rest your wrist on. (yeah yeah ten and two how many of you actually drive like that) I do sometimes, but usually its one on the wheel one on the gear shift.

Hopefully when they redesign the Model S, it will ship with a center console so you can use a cup holder and the arm rests at the same time.

Also so you can avoid having an unsightly crow's nest of cables and sloshing around in an exposed compartment if you plug a media drive and a phone.

Obviously Tesla agrees on the need for a center console so you can dock your phone in a civilized manner when you get in the car as a Center Console is standard in the Model X. I bet this will become standard in the Model S just like the parcel shelf used to be an option and it is now standard.

And for those who don't want the center console, they can always remove it :)

Hopefully when they redesign the Model S, it will ship with a center console so you can use a cup holder and the arm rests at the same time.

Also so you can avoid having an unsightly crow's nest of cables and sloshing around in an exposed compartment if you plug a media drive and a phone.

Obviously Tesla agrees on the need for a center console so you can dock your phone in a civilized manner when you get in the car as a Center Console is standard in the Model X. I bet this will become standard in the Model S just like the parcel shelf used to be an option and it is now standard.

And for those who don't want the center console, they can always remove it :)

Yeah, hopefully that will be possibly. No way I'm losing that great space to a console I have absolutely no need for in my next car. My sunglasses fit nicely in the cubby and doesn't move from there while the phone fits perfectly in the pocket by the door handle.

I was glad the parcel shelf was optional when I bought my car, if it were standard I'd have yet another parcel shelf collecting dust in the attic. I don't understand why so many people want all this crap to be standard when you can get it as options. Do you then want the pano roof, air suspension, upgraded sound, 4WD, leather seats etc. to also be standard? Why/why not?

I was glad the parcel shelf was optional when I bought my car, if it were standard I'd have yet another parcel shelf collecting dust in the attic. I don't understand why so many people want all this crap to be standard when you can get it as options. Do you then want the pano roof, air suspension, upgraded sound, 4WD, leather seats etc. to also be standard? Why/why not?

You might want to dig that parcel shelf from your attic because the parcel shelf actually helps improve sound insulation in the cabin :)

I personally feel it is nuts for a car in this price range to have an open cavity and no way to conceal cables or a media device plugged into a USB port unless you pay extra for a console. Exposed cables dangling around completely take away from the sleek and uncluttered interior of the car.

Like I said earlier this whole discussion is rather moot in that Tesla agrees on the need for a center console in a premium car given that they made it standard equipment in the Model X. I'm hoping it becomes standard in the Model S as well.

My edit. Note that they still may think an open console makes sense in a sedan, just like I do..

A crows nest of cables and media devices out in the open fails to meets the definition of an uncluttered interior for most people, including myself.

It remains to be seen if Tesla will continue to offer an open cavity to dump your phone and a media device so they can slosh around with a bunch of cables out in the open or offer a civilized center console as they have done with the Model X :) I am hoping the center console becomes standard in the Model S, just as it is in the Model X.

A crows nest of cables and media devices out in the open fails to meets the definition of an uncluttered interior for most people, including myself.

It remains to be seen if Tesla will continue to offer an open cavity to dump your phone and a media device so they can slosh around with a bunch of cables out in the open or offer a civilized center console as they have done with the Model X :) I am hoping the center console becomes standard in the Model S, just as it is in the Model X.

My wife and I both really like the open space in the front of our Model S--it's great for storing one trip incidental items (quick store runs, a lunchbox, take-out, etc.). Phones go in pockets and sync via Bluetooth. Really small USB flash drives take the place of larger media devices (you can seriously get USB flash drives that are so tiny they look like little USB port covers, but can still store 128GB).

We'll likely end up buying a second Tesla at some point and I really hope that they continue making obnoxious center consoles optional.

That said, a small door pocket for super compact umbrella storage would be nice.

I would like to see one BUT if not, I suppose. I could make use of the space like so:

6653-finished-side-open.jpg

Or something along these lines:

fobus1.jpg

Lol

It does not have to be a mess. I have a 128G USB thumb drive, a high speed dual USB charger and a 1ft lightning cable for my phone. It looks quite tidy to me (you only see the phone from the driver or passenger seats) and I still get the nice open feeling.

yacht.jpg

(Please excuse the poor quality image. My son took it, as my phone is in the picture. :))

Personally, I love the yacht floor

When I say I want a center console, I'm referring to a larger arm rest (so the cup holders are more forward and useful whilst resting one's arms) which opens up and doubles as covered storage like it does for most cars. If they did that and added a cover to the cubby beneath the screen I'd be thrilled.

I don't like any of the aftermarket center console options I've seen.

When I say I want a center console, I'm referring to a larger arm rest (so the cup holders are more forward and useful whilst resting one's arms) which opens up and doubles as covered storage like it does for most cars. If they did that and added a cover to the cubby beneath the screen I'd be thrilled.

Although I like the Tesla console, I agree with this. If they made the changes you suggested, I wouldn't need and may not even want the console.

Last edited:

The parcel shelf was optional when I ordered my car, but standard by the time I confirmed the order. I can't see why anybody would complain since the price didn't go up. I was glad I put off confirming for several reasons, the parcel shelf being the smaller one.

As far as the other options go, the answer would be no. A possible exception would be the upgraded sound system since I doubt anybody would prefer a car without it, but it would drive the price up. As for the others, not everybody wants them. Some people don't like leather/animal parts. Some people don't like glass roofs. Some people think the air suspension might need more maintenance. Some people don't want to give up frunk space.

0361.jpg

Here's our center console. Best price, Free (emptied gift basket). Ain't too pretty but holds my wife's purse, water bottle and whatever else she wants to bring. And everything stays put, including the basket.

I would guess Tesla did some research of their own about that and found out that the majority of customers (which are, contrary to what we might think, not just TMC Forum members :wink:) do in fact prefer a center console as standard. Which is why they included it as standard in the Model X (and will hopefully do so for the Model 3 as well).

And as for personal experience: I always try to be a Tesla advocate and promote their cars with family, friends and colleagues. Everyone I showed the Model S in all those years loved the car's specs and most people also liked its looks. But every single one of them I spoke with hated the open center console area. No one said anything positive about it. Some of the older folks were reminded about cars from the Fifties and Sixties which had front bench seats and also open areas similar to the one in the Model S. Just not popular (with those I have spoken to).

And as for personal experience: I always try to be a Tesla advocate and promote their cars with family, friends and colleagues. Everyone I showed the Model S in all those years loved the car's specs and most people also liked its looks. But every single one of them I spoke with hated the open center console area. No one said anything positive about it. Some of the older folks were reminded about cars from the Fifties and Sixties which had front bench seats and also open areas similar to the one in the Model S. Just not popular (with those I have spoken to).

That could be a regional (German?) thing, too. Because here in California, most of my friends and family thought it was a nice change.

I love the open center section, it adds so much more utility and space to the car. The center console on most cars is just wasted space (or full of transmission bits), but on the Model S its a great place to put your laptop bag, backup, diaper bag, whatever. No more having to put it on the passenger seat, or sticking it in the back.