TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I love everything about my Tesla except this one minor thing...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mother Frunker, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Mother Frunker

...the web browser! And it REALLY sucks!

I wonder if a SW update can fix this?

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yes a software update can fix it, and Elon even made a comment about moving to a Chrome based browser in 2014... But I wouldn't bet or plan on it being updated anytime soon. We'll probably get a browser update the same time we get an SDK to write our own apps. :/

3. ORB

ORB Member

Elon reportedly was interested in upgrading the Safari browser to Google Chrome at one point. I think there are also questions about whether Tesla's UI software is using the Tegra chipset efficiently, this may be part of the reason for the slow browser response. If true, we can hope for some improvement without relying on availability of a connectivity or hardware upgrade.

Oliver

4. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Gee its all relative, here in nanny state (aka Australia) we aren't even trusted to have a browser at all. Even a browser that sucks is better than no browser:confused:

5. spentan

spentan Active Member

tbh, Chrome is not the answer imho. Chrome is really bloated and even though I use it as my default browser (because of the Google Integration and features), I think a lean mean version of Webkit would be better for this implementation.

I know its webkit right now, but that really isn't the reason it is slow imho,

6. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

isn't the slow data rate of 3G one reason that the browser is slow?

7. perkiset

perkiset ... this one goes to 11

Really bugs me that even a reasonably straight forward site like EVTtripPlanner, which is a vastly superior site to the poopfest that is onboard nav, fails miserably. Chrome it, PLEASE.

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

No. Pull up this forum on the browser and try to scroll. Take a short nap while you're trying to get to the bottom of the page.

9. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Probably the real answer to this irritating situation is something like "all of the above". We need to remember that both the hardware and software for this are now old and obsolete. We certainly have grounds to hope that a new solution involving both hardware (graphics, browser, sim, etc) and software will be available about the time the X reaches the Design Studio. Some of that is already part of current S production. We just do not know how much it will cost, how long we must wait to upgrade and exactly what the results will be. I wager we'll see a huge map update at the same time and the Googleist (is that a word?)in me wants Waze integration including voice reporting at the same time.

Frankly, I remember when all this was state of the art. At least we'll be able to upgrade, and it will be similar to teh upgrades we all used to do with ancient desktops changing memory, chips, even motherboards. It'll just cost a bit, probably not even a huge amount except for labor.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It is painfully slow so I just use my smartphone and don't mess with it.

11. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This. I don't even bother. Your phone or tablet is so much better. Honestly, I would prefer tesla to spend their resources on many other things than improving the web browser. Nav, trip planner, etc.

12. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I find that my browser works a lot better when parked in my garage and connected via wifi.

13. danni

danni Member

I've never really understood why anyone would want to use the in-car browser. Isn't it much easier to just use a smartphone or tablet for when you want to browse something in the car?

//Still waiting for my Model S...

14. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Wouldn't you rather browse something on a 17 inch screen than on a smartphone? Most people don't want to carry tablets with them all the time, and in the U.S. most tablets are bought as Wi-Fi only, not 3G.

15. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I actually prefer my phone. I can type much faster compared to the tesla screen. LTE doesn't hurt, either.

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The browser in Model S is NOT Safari.

- - - Updated - - -

Chrome seems unnecessarily bloated for this application, wouldn't something like Firefox work much better?

17. danni

danni Member

Not if the screen is fixed at an arm’s distance and has the same resolution as my phone anyway, no. It just seems like a hassle, especially when you need to type something.

18. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Right. The browser is based on WebKit, upon which Safari is also based. I can see where the confusion came from, but the Model S browser isn't Safari.

Realistically, there might not be much they can do. The Tegra is so ridiculously underpowered, their hands might be tied. WebKit itself is pretty lean. Certainly more lean than Chrome. It's entirely possible they realized the browser isn't going to get more responsive no matter what codebase they use until we get hardware updates for the center console. Simply doing minor browser updates here and there until they can get more processing power might be the only option.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Is it me, or have thread titles even gone to the extreme?

"You'll never believe what my Tesla did for me today, it will blow your mind!"
    "My Tesla is the greatest, except for this one annoying trick..."
    "Fifteen things done right by Tesla, #8 is the best!"

*thump*

20. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

If there had to be a choice, I'd rather Tesla implement CarPlay and Android Auto rather than work on the built-in browser. The fact that it exists and can, in an emergency, access the web in some fashion is enough for me. I'm not going to use it on a regular basis.

Or barring full implementation of one of those, if it were possible to mirror the screen of a tablet or smartphone, that would be terrific.