Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love my American-made car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, it isn't sourced with fully American made parts as that is rarely possible these days, especially on a car this advanced in the electronics area - but hey, my $$$ going to an American company, a start-up American company at that, using workers in America, and mostly USA made parts, makes me happy to support such a good innovative global product! Anything to avoid throwing money into China which just appalls me lately - go out of our way as a household to not do that.

(all this coming from a guy who's job is global software development management)

Agree, it isn't sourced with fully American made parts as that is rarely possible these days, especially on a car this advanced in the electronics area - but hey, my $$$ going to an American company, a start-up American company at that, using workers in America, and mostly USA made parts, makes me happy to support such a good innovative global product! Anything to avoid throwing money into China which just appalls me lately - go out of our way as a household to not do that.

(all this coming from a guy who's job is global software development management)

American (in fact Californian) made is part of the appeal to me for my up-coming purchase.

I also plan to install a solar array on my roof, using SolarWorld panels made in Oregon under American environmental standards and using relatively low-carbon emitting electrical power (largely hydro in the PNW).

Before I said this tonight, I'm pretty sure the last time someone from my family said that was when my parents bought a 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback.

Just saying.

I guess it should be "American assembled". The last time I saw a Monroney sticker on a Tesla window, it said "50% US Content" - which means a lot of the parts are sourced from outside US. The car is American-designed, and American assembled. (That's still pretty good. All the US makes contain a mix of US and foreign, or at least NAFTA parts). Even the Nissan LEAF is US assembled (made in Smyrna, TN). The American-designed part (of the Tesla) is what I like the most.

Last edited:
I've never owned an American car before this one and never wanted to. When friends goad me about owning one now, I tell them it's based on Japanese batteries, a German steering column and is built by a South African... with a dash of California Cool to finish it all off... It's as far removed from Detroit Iron as could be imagined! ;-)

In truth, it's not so much that the others are 'American Cars' as they are 'Cars built by American Mega-Corporations That Only Respect the Bottom Line'... it's corporate greed that makes them garbage, not where they're made.

American made is one of the many factors that came in to play for my decision.
Sure there are outsourced parts, but the frame, body and motor are all made here.
Thinking about it, the major SAS parts are probably imported; but since I have coil, do I have a domestic suspension?

When the GigaFactory is complete, that will increase the American component count by over 7000!

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than many here in that I've always owned American cars. While I have owned one or two so-so American cars, the vast majority have been great cars for me. I'm assuming (with a high degree of confidence), that I'll be able to look back fondly on my P85 as I have with my other American made cars.

I will say that if I refuse to buy from Detroit's "Big 3" again in the future it will be for one of 2 reasons:

- They don't offer a compelling EV
- On principle - because the home state of the Big 3 doesn't even allow a fellow American mfr. to even sell their cars there.

Before I said this tonight, I'm pretty sure the last time someone from my family said that was when my parents bought a 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback.

Just saying.
American made cars from German parts..lol

Didn't Cars and Driver or somewhere said the Steering Wheel and other components are purchased from Mercedes?

Battery made by Panasonic

Stereo Speakers are made by ??

For those of you who think that having some foreign-made parts somehow disqualifies the Model S from being an "American-made car", you might want to check out the foreign parts content on the typical General Motors or Ford product. Not a single car those companies make is "100%" U.S. made parts and most of their models are way less than 80% North American made.

Foreign Cars Partly Made In America - Business Insider

I got excited about the idea of buying an American made car a while ago so I bought a Cadillac CTS-V in 2010. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Cadillac model lineup that's the Cadillac with a version of the supercharged Corvette engine designed to take on the then BMW M5. That monster engine that made the V what it is?--it's made in Mexico.

I love my American-made Tesla. The Mercedes switch gear and Panasonic batteries don't change the fact that the car was designed and built in the U.S. by American workers.