Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love the Model 3, just don't love any color options...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't thrilled with any of the colors either (I really wanted green - especially the green from the original roadster). I went with black - it is annoying having to wash it after the five times a year it rains but I can deal with it. At some point I may get it wrapped (and possibly change the seats to a different color as well).

My last 3 cars have been gray; my Model 3 is too. I thought long and hard about blue but went with the gray. I initially wanted the pearl white but it was expensive ($2000 mid November 2018) and I didn't think it had the depth of a really nice pearl. It looked just white to me. The gray (midnight silver metallic) has quite a bit of depth; not as much as my Audi Q5, but very nice. The color is a shade darker than I prefer. I wish too there were more color options.

I struggled with this, too. My last cars have been silver, silver, silver, grey. The Model 3 Midnight Silver is far too blue under cloudy skies or out of the sun. Such a shame. I really would prefer a deep grey, but no option exists.

So, I went with black.

Like others have mentioned here, I very much struggled with this. In fact, this was the last factor I mulled over before finally clicking on the submit button on the order page, which delayed my purchase by a week! I wanted the silver, but did not think any of the other colors were worth the upgrade price. I ultimately decided to go with black with the intention of vinyl wrapping it in a matte silver metallic color for the same price of the paint upgrade. Two weeks later, my standard black transformed into my Silver Surfer.

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_174747.jpg
    IMG_20190421_174747.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20190421_174813.jpg
    IMG_20190421_174813.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 114
  • MVIMG_20190421_174804.jpg
    MVIMG_20190421_174804.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Love
Reactions: ATC@LWSK and bredi
My last four cars have been charcoal, silver, silver, charcoal, so there's a pattern...I thought I loved the midnight silver but after seeing a silver P3 with white seats, I'm ruined. Silver is really the only color I love, and doesn't appear that option is returning. I'm searching for used but really want a new model. Anyone else buy one not loving the color but the car is so awesome you got over it?

White - looks great with white seats, but I always think white cars look best on japanese cars. white BMW's, Porsche's etc. always remind me of my white Turbocharged Integra I had in high school!

Red - also looks great, but other than a Ferrari convertible red always looks like a girl car (sorry!)

Blue - torn on this one, I haven't seen enough in real life, looks good, but I wish it was more of a navy, I'm almost 40 and it just feels like a color for someone younger, as it's a bit bright. Another throwback, reminds me a bit of BMW's Avus Blue, my dream car in high school. The "other" M3...

Black - always a staple, but I had one black car, and swore, never again! So hard to clean...

Charcoal - not only do I already have a charcoal car now, SUV I will keep, the charcoal seams a bit flat with too much purple in it. Not sure what's missing, a richer hue with more metallic I think...

Lastly, with such a narrow color range, which I know they are doing for manufacturing efficiency and margin, and sales increasing overall, I'm worried the colors will also quickly get played out. The cars have so few options to begin with, limiting the colors creates even more of a homogeneous vibe...

Alright, can somebody slap me in the face and get me over the color hump???
There’s a reason most of the press photos are red...looks amazing, especially in the sun. Don’t age yourself because you think a color is too young...have fun! Absolute worse case if you decide you just have to have silver you can wrap or paint it.

people sometimes associate aftermarket wraps with funky colors or matte or chrome, but they do come in all assortments of colors, like normal colors, if you don't like the assortment of colors offered by the different wrap companies, then you must be really really picky, lol

• Informative
Reactions: jkoya
I have to disagree with you about the blue. It's way too dark! If I wanted a dark color, I'd get black, ha. Technically, I suppose that's what I did, ordered my new M3 in black, but I plan to Autoflex it to make it more like the Audi Ara Crystal Blue.

Reactions: P-Lo801
Agreed. I had to chose Blue more so than really wanting it. Not to insult Black but even free I couldn't stomach another Canadian salty winter with free black.
My last four cars have been charcoal, silver, silver, charcoal, so there's a pattern...I thought I loved the midnight silver but after seeing a silver P3 with white seats, I'm ruined. Silver is really the only color I love, and doesn't appear that option is returning. I'm searching for used but really want a new model. Anyone else buy one not loving the color but the car is so awesome you got over it?

White - looks great with white seats, but I always think white cars look best on japanese cars. white BMW's, Porsche's etc. always remind me of my white Turbocharged Integra I had in high school!

Red - also looks great, but other than a Ferrari convertible red always looks like a girl car (sorry!)

Blue - torn on this one, I haven't seen enough in real life, looks good, but I wish it was more of a navy, I'm almost 40 and it just feels like a color for someone younger, as it's a bit bright. Another throwback, reminds me a bit of BMW's Avus Blue, my dream car in high school. The "other" M3...

Black - always a staple, but I had one black car, and swore, never again! So hard to clean...

Charcoal - not only do I already have a charcoal car now, SUV I will keep, the charcoal seams a bit flat with too much purple in it. Not sure what's missing, a richer hue with more metallic I think...

Lastly, with such a narrow color range, which I know they are doing for manufacturing efficiency and margin, and sales increasing overall, I'm worried the colors will also quickly get played out. The cars have so few options to begin with, limiting the colors creates even more of a homogeneous vibe...

Alright, can somebody slap me in the face and get me over the color hump???
i was in the same boat. I didn’t like the colors, but I must say. I got the red and it’s stunning! It’s a beautiful color.

Last edited:
Having had black for a day, I have to say OMG.

First, it really looks amazing. I mean, amazing. Deep, wonderful black. It makes the brake calipers really pop.

That said, if you touch it, it smudges like crazy, and if you try and wipe those smudges off with a microfiber cloth, you leave swirls and clear coat scratches all over the place. It’s insane.

I’m doing my best to just let it go, but man...

And heaven forbid you examine the paint too closely in direct sunlight. Ughhhh.

Still, I knew this going in, and it’s the only color I could live with. Just don’t look too closely!

Attachments

• A7E6C19E-C95D-4DB7-92E3-B8FBA8666548.jpeg
    A7E6C19E-C95D-4DB7-92E3-B8FBA8666548.jpeg
    832.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 9370ECF8-C9A5-499C-84ED-7BA763E00A94.jpeg
    9370ECF8-C9A5-499C-84ED-7BA763E00A94.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 91