Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love this car, but.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread feels like FUD to me.

Haha, that's funny! I find this to be my favorite and most capable road trip car I have ever owned,

And this sums up my experience, totally agree.

We are a single car family, that owns just a Model 3 for now. If we buy a second car, it will be a Tesla, maybe an S.

We drive multiple long road trips every year, think LA to Vancouver BC, 1200 miles. The car takes it all in its stride.

To say it is just an urban car is either ignorance or trolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxtrotter
This.

This thread feels like FUD to me.

We are a single car family, that owns just a Model 3 for now. If we buy a second car, it will be a Tesla, maybe an S.

We drive multiple long road trips every year, think LA to Vancouver BC, 1200 miles. The car takes it all in its stride.

To say it is just an urban car is either ignorance or trolling.
Yeah, you quoted the wrong post, I'm with you, this IS the best road tripping car !
Go back and read the original full post #17

Reactions: Foxtrotter
Tesla is a great car, but the way Superchargers are setup around fast food, my family has been eating McDonalds too much.

I don't get 300 miles either, but it's fine if Superchargers change as fast a gasoline so I can stop and go to a real restaurant to eat. Right now it's too fast for restaurants and too slow to wait. It's always get McDonalds and eat by the car for 30-40 minutes.

Model 3 AWD DM LR
Purchase: 06/30/2019
Current Date: 09/19/2019

Total miles: 8,490 miles
Average wH/mile: 247

The car is ALMOST perfect in almost every way.
I travel a lot. This car is a blast to drive and soooo smoooth. However, battery is the biggest draw back.
A full charge to 100% is always 306 miles.

However, I pushed my limits with the range anxiety recently because I was having some questionable range.
For the 4th time to this date, I have tested the complete range of this car. Charging xx% to 100%.at each interval and running to as low as 3%. I have had battery issues with vampire drain but it completely stopped when i turned the car off.

Trip 1: 08/16/19 - 08/19/19
Total miles driven: 267 miles
Average wH/mile: 235
Remaining Percentage: 3%
A/C: On

Trip 2:: 08/19/19 - 08/24/19
Total Miles Driven: 283
Average wH/mile: 219
Remaining %: 4

Trip 3: 08/24/19 - 08/30/19
Total Miles Driven: 269
Average wH/mile: 232
Remaining %: 2
AC: ON

Trip 4: 08/30/19 - 09/09/19
Total Miles Driven
Average wH/Mile:257
Average wH/mile: 244
Remaining %: 3

Range Anxiety is real. However, I question more on the real life battery expectancy. Why is there such a big discrepancy.
I would love to get a full 300 miles or even 310 miles as advertised but I can barely come close to it. Its a beautiful car but I want to know if any other owners are experiencing anything like this? I am planning to take this to the service center but time is a little limited.

We got two Model 3 performance versions. Got one in early September 2018 and one a few weeks later. The first one has 12,500 miles, the second one about 7500. The first one has lost 1% of battery capacity, roughly 3 miles, the second one has only lost 1 mile in one year. Were not sure if the difference is simply the mileage, or the fact that the older car has had a full round trip to Florida with a lot of supercharging whereas the other car only has the return leg. However the second car did get driven to Key West and back so the amount of supercharging mileage on both it's really not that far off. So I suspect it's just miles rather than percentage of supercharging miles. In general they don't really recommend dropping your battery below 5%, so I might try to avoid that. We've never gone below 5% and almost never charge above 92 to 95%. That's even on long trips. This might be one of those classic instances where YMMV - literally!

Makes me think I should start a poll here . . .

Thanks all for all the response.
Just a quick update on this thread. I did want to follow up on a 300 mile trip. I hope this doesnt cause too much controversy...

Have been a little busy. Followed some of your guys' advice
300ish mile trip done!

Trip: Las Vegas to Los Angeles Downtown (estimated: 270 miles)
Time Duration: 4.63 hours
Total Miles Drive: 287 miles Driven
Battery percentage at starting point: 100% --> Supercharger
Battery percentage at ending point: 1%
Efficiency: 237 wH/mile
Highway speed: 65 mph w/ cruise controll
Tires: 42 psi all around
Additional weight: No baggage, +1 gallon of water, 1 passenger (me) @ 145 lbs

ETC: Slight changes in elevation that made the car use more electricity than usual, but it was only reasonable to maintain 65mph.
Drafting was done behind semis or other vehicles when possible.
MPH ranged from 55-70 mph for passing or slowing purposes.

Battery Percentage after destination: 100%
Tesla Estimated Miles: 294 miles.

As some of you all said, this is a great road trip car. I didnt mean to say I hope this car (being that it is LR AWD) can do 400 mile on the battery it has now because obviously it cant. What I meant to say is if this model 3 came up with an option where it CAN do 400 mile (with a larger battery pack) it would be perfect.

I am wondering if I should start a thread on those doing a 300 mile trip and have them provided raw data so we can have a good average.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
Trip: Las Vegas to Los Angeles Downtown (estimated: 270 miles)
Time Duration: 4.63 hours
Total Miles Drive: 287 miles Driven
Battery percentage at starting point: 100% --> Supercharger
Battery percentage at ending point: 1%
Unless you're trying to get a record of some kind, why make things difficult?

Baker and Yerma along your route provide supercharging opportunities.

Unless you're trying to get a record of some kind, why make things difficult?

Baker and Yerma along your route provide supercharging opportunities.
Yeah, this kind of junk where people want to intentionally not use the most convenient charging on the planet and just clench up and skip them and then complain about range anxiety makes me not take these people seriously at all.

Yeah, this kind of junk where people want to intentionally not use the most convenient charging on the planet and just clench up and skip them and then complain about range anxiety makes me not take these people seriously at all.
Additionally it means that if the final destination supercharger is full -- which is most likely in larger cities for various reasons -- the person arriving with 1% will be stressed and sometimes hostile to other people at the location. And then they pop on the forums to complain about Tesla failing to make the supercharger experience good enough.

I got the impression he did it as a range test. Why give him a hard time?
Partly because of the whiny title, but also because:
I pushed my limits with the range anxiety recently because I was having some questionable range
And:
Range Anxiety is real.
And:
I try not to charge it everywhere possible.
And:
This vehicle is best suit for urban use only. Grocery store, maybe 15 mile loop.
This person is creating the "hard times" for himself on purpose, and then complaining about it.

I think the numbers he is quoting don't really add up. Are you sure your avg for the trip was 237Wh/m? Because if it was ,this gives me a usable battery capacity of almost exactly 68kWh. If we add a buffer of 3.1-3.3kWh we get around 71.2-71.3kWh full. Dividing it by typical we get 289 miles, not 294miles at 100%. Which is close , but just wondering? There could have been a heat loss or the battery rebalanced, but just double checking.

Anyways, it looks like those 100%-1% maybe did damage the battery. Or there is a BMS issue with your system. I would try going to about 10% and slowly using the slowest plug you can find, charge to about 100% and see if this helps. Otherwise you can try and see if Tesla will look at your car, because on numbers you already have lost 6kWh of your pack or around 8%...

Depends on your last car.

I'm averaging 300wh/mi. At your price, it costs me 6.5 cents to drive a mile.

In my last car, I averaged ~20MPG combined. Costs about 20 cents a mile if gas is at $4/gal

If 12000 miles/year driven, at your price, it's $780 vs $2400 per year.

Great point, but I drove a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which got 41.1 miles per gallon. Gas here at roughly $2.85.

So, it looks to be about 7 cents per mile in the Ford, if my math is right. I average 210wh/mi, but I don't know how to calculate that cost.
Big IF though. I have had the car since May, so I have not made it through a winter yet to see my average wh/mi for an entire year.

Last edited:
Great point, but I drove a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which got 41.1 miles per gallon. Gas here at roughly $2.85.

So, it looks to be about 7 cents per mile in the Ford, if my math is right. I average 210wh/mi, but I don't know how to calculate that cost.
Big IF though. I have had the car since May, so I have not made it through a winter yet to see my average wh/mi for an entire year.

I just passed by a gas station this morning on my way to the freeway, and premium unleaded was $4.35 per gallon. Regular unleaded was like 4.15. I thought "long island" was in New York somewhere... are you saying that New York has gas that is 1.50 a gallon cheaper than southern california?

I just passed by a gas station this morning on my way to the freeway, and premium unleaded was $4.35 per gallon. Regular unleaded was like 4.15. I thought "long island" was in New York somewhere... are you saying that New York has gas that is 1.50 a gallon cheaper than southern california?

Undoubtedly yes. My wife's Enclave took a fill at $2.35/gal this week. Granted, it runs on regular, not premium, but still... definitely bites into the "we'll save a ton of money on fuel!" argument I used to convince the CFO ... ;-)

That said, she's cool with it now. Actually, kinda enjoying it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Status
Not open for further replies.