Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love this car, but.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just passed by a gas station this morning on my way to the freeway, and premium unleaded was $4.35 per gallon. Regular unleaded was like 4.15. I thought "long island" was in New York somewhere... are you saying that New York has gas that is 1.50 a gallon cheaper than southern california?
It is crazy how much we are getting gouged for fuel in CA, especially when oil is only $52 a barrel, I am hoping one day to replace my diesel guzzling truck with a 2022?, 2023? Tesla pickup

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I just passed by a gas station this morning on my way to the freeway, and premium unleaded was $4.35 per gallon. Regular unleaded was like 4.15. I thought "long island" was in New York somewhere... are you saying that New York has gas that is 1.50 a gallon cheaper than southern california?

Long Island gas prices are between 2.65 and 2.85 for regular unleaded.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Massachusetts checking in at like $2.40 a gallon. ...

And we don't have power outages when it gets hot and windy!
Yes but do you own a snow plow? Haha, our gas prices here are the result of the perfect storm of idiot voters, cap and trade, various refinery “outages”, summer blends and a $0.22 a gallon mystery sue charge but not to worry because a 6 page memo was sent to the governor and the CA energy commission is launching a 5 month study on why the prices are so high because... well....you know......it worked so well in 2006 when the terminator did it and they discovered that ummm.... yeah.....we aren’t really sure why the prices are so high.....so there’s that!

• Funny
Reactions: Kevy Baby and Zcd1
Model 3 AWD DM LR
Purchase: 06/30/2019
Current Date: 09/19/2019

Total miles: 8,490 miles
Average wH/mile: 247

Range Anxiety is real. However, I question more on the real life battery expectancy. Why is there such a big discrepancy.
I would love to get a full 300 miles or even 310 miles as advertised but I can barely come close to it. Its a beautiful car but I want to know if any other owners are experiencing anything like this? I am planning to take this to the service center but time is a little limited.

I agree that on my trip this weekend S-S-M I was quite uncomfortable with the range between the Springfield, OR charger and the next one in Klamath Falls, OR. Then the drive from Klamath to Reno was even worse. I arrived at both with about 10% charge but in order to do that I drove at and below the speed limit the entire way. It was very cold at one point reading 8 degrees f. and as it warmed up through the day I noticed improved mileage. I'm convinced that had I driven like normal, say 10 miles over speed limit, I never would have made it to Reno, 250 miles away. To ensure success I turned off all the heat (and froze) and drove slow. Slow driving makes a HUGE difference but a shame in a luxury car.

Reactions: TheWhiteEGG
Then the drive from Klamath to Reno was even worse...

Tesla's own route planner suggests stopping at the Mt. Shasta Supercharger - did you use that route?

The car will not do 250 miles at highway speeds in winter temps, which is why the route planner always suggests stopping every 110-150 miles...

In my experience, ignoring the car's planned route/stops is a bad idea.

My first long trip, most of my drives are 30 miles and return. Now that you mention this I think it did want me to do Mt Shasta. I figured it was just a mistake since it was well off the route. Checking google (not Tesla Chargers) that looks like about 60 miles out and back.

Last edited:
My first long trip, most of my drives are 30 miles and return. Now that you mention this I think it did want me to do Mt Shasta. I figured it was just a mistake since it was well off the route...

Yep, it's not the most direct route, but the car knows best in these situations.

Who knows - it might have taken about the same amount of time, but it would certainly have been more comfortable, literally and figuratively...

Last edited:
Massachusetts checking in at like $2.40 a gallon. ...

And we don't have power outages when it gets hot and windy!

Yeah but our electricity costs are through the roof and the providers I am aware of offer no off peak hour discounts making it truly one of the worst states for EV cars cost comparisons.

Really not complaining though, I cannot tell you how much I grin when I say that I am not even sure what a gallon of gas currently costs. After going to a gas station twice per week it brings me endless joy not having to do that anymore.

Yeah but our electricity costs are through the roof and the providers I am aware of offer no off peak hour discounts making it truly one of the worst states for EV cars cost comparisons.

Really not complaining though, I cannot tell you how much I grin when I say that I am not even sure what a gallon of gas currently costs. After going to a gas station twice per week it brings me endless joy not having to do that anymore.

What is your electricity rate? On Long Island, we are at 19.5 cents per kWh. I though we were the second highest in the country to Hawaii. We are offered a lower rate at night, which I did not subscribe to, but it's like 18 cents per kWh, with a much higher daytime rate. I figure I would be paying way more if I went that route.

What is your electricity rate? On Long Island, we are at 19.5 cents per kWh. I though we were the second highest in the country to Hawaii. We are offered a lower rate at night, which I did not subscribe to, but it's like 18 cents per kWh, with a much higher daytime rate. I figure I would be paying way more if I went that route.

$.224 per kWh (that is the delivered amount).
It breaks down to $.104 per kWh for the actual energy which they allow us to shop around but all of the rates are within fractions of a cent and then the delivery charges which we cannot shop around in total are $.12 per kWh
Those consist of separate distribution charge, transmission charge, energy efficiency charge, renewable energy charge and even a distributed solar charge all part of the delivery fee per kWh.
No lower rate hours or any other benefits, same price all the time.

Eversource is the provider in my area. National Grid is the other big one in the state and I have heard their pricing is the same in MA.

Am I interpreting other states incorrectly? I assume everyone adds the energy cost plus the delivery costs per kWh to get their figure?

$.224 per kWh (that is the delivered amount).
It breaks down to $.104 per kWh for the actual energy which they allow us to shop around but all of the rates are within fractions of a cent and then the delivery charges which we cannot shop around in total are $.12 per kWh
Those consist of separate distribution charge, transmission charge, energy efficiency charge, renewable energy charge and even a distributed solar charge all part of the delivery fee per kWh.
No lower rate hours or any other benefits, same price all the time.

Eversource is the provider in my area. National Grid is the other big one in the state and I have heard their pricing is the same in MA.

Am I interpreting other states incorrectly? I assume everyone adds the energy cost plus the delivery costs per kWh to get their figure?

My rate of 19.5 is the kwH plus the delivery charge. Am I wrong in my calculation? I just figured the delivery charge and all those other charge per kWh was like those scam taxes added to cell phone bills. No matter what they call it, it's still part of the charge per kWh.

Don't ignore delivery charges.... they can be significant....

Here at my home on National Grid in MA the fixed charge is $5.50 a month, plus supply charge of 10.8 cents/kwh, plus a delivery charge of 11.65 cents/kwh... an average of $0.231/kwh.

Thanks for the help on that energy deregulation, Beacon Hill.... great idea.... could never have predicted that the electric company would jack up delivery charges to make up for any lost supply profits....

Just a quick update.

Purchase: 06/30/2019
Current Date: 08/03/2020

Logged in a total of 46,398 miles.
Average wH/miles: 249

At the start of the purchase, my car reads 310 miles at 100% for about 1 month. I was experiencing quite a bit of phantom drain for 2 months, but eventually it had all toned down. At the start of the purchase, I had used supercharging quite a bit because I was waiting on my home to be built to install a tesla wall charger. Im not sure if supercharging affected my mileage, but from today's POV it sure did take a hit.

I have had many long road trips in this car. Mainly, Oregon to Los Angeles and back or Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Or Reno to SF Bay.
The battery overall did not hold up to its expected range per EPA discretion.

Each long trip would max out my vehicle at 230 - 240 total miles driven with the remaining battery at 3-7%. I have taken many of your guys' suggestions to see if this my car can go above or reach 300 miles.

As of today:
Super Charging affecting the battery, slow charging with the 120 volt wall outlet charger, driving 60-65 mph +/- drafting, Maintain air pressure, Rotate Tires every 12,000 miles (or such), not using A/C or heat, fast acceleration, and maximizing regeneration.

My battery at 100% reads 279 miles total -Today. My battery at 90% reads at 245 miles total - Today.
I have contacted tesla customer service and they did a "BMS" test from their facilities and the battery says "normal". When I asked them about how come it is difficult for my tesla to reach 300 miles of range, they simply ignored the question and stated they did a BMS check and nothing was wrong and that if I drove slower, I can achieve it. Okay. Whatever, dude.

If the battery keeps going lower, I will report back and update you guys. It seems like with the most recent update, my car has taken a huge hit in mileage.

Overall, great car. If they came out with a 400 mile battery, I most definitely will trade it in.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
2 weekends ago, I was camping. The caravan had to stop for gas in Central WI. The 235 mile round trip and local driving was well within my range, so I just got some coffee Gas was $1.80. Its still $2.50 or so here in Chicago. Some areas ita horrible expensive. Finished the weekend with 11% left. Much of the driving to/from was freeway or fast highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.