Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I made a list of everything we know about the Model 3 so far (with sources)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is the list I've come up with so far. If I missed something please leave a comment and I'll add it to the list. I tried to keep the list as free from speculation as possible, but of course everything is subject to change before the final release later this year.

Base Specifications / Features

* 215 miles [346km] (or more) of range. ^Source

* 215 of range accomplished with < 60kWh battery due to 30% denser energy storage. ^Source ^Source

* ~0.21 Cd (drag coefficient). ^Source

* Guesstimated wheelbase: 113.0 in. 287cm] ^Source

* Guesstimated L x W x H: 184.1 x 74.2 x 56.5 in. 467.6 x 188.5 x 143.5 cm] ^ Source

* Guesstimated curb weight: 4,200-4,350 lbs. [1,905-1,973 kg] ^Source

* RWD. ^Source

* 0-60 mph in <6 seconds 0-100km/h in <6 seconds for RWD base version. ^Source

* Supercharger compatible. ^Source

* 15” touchscreen (landscape orientation) and software suite similar to model S & X. ^Source ^Source ^Source

* Single slot for HVAC on dash. ^Source

* Steering wheel with spaceship-like feel. ^Source

* Designed to achieve 5-Star Safety Rating in all categories. ^Source ^Source

* Seating for 5 adults. ^Source

* 4 doors. ^Source

* Large non-hatch style trunk door. ^Source

* Frunk. ^Source

* Steel chassis with some aluminum construction. ^Source ^Source

* Steel roof. ^Source (Note: It is possible this may be an option and the glass roof is standard).

* Autopilot 2.X hardware capable of level 5 autonomy. Hardware includes 8 cameras of which 3 are front-facing, 12 ultrasonic sensors, forward-facing radar and powerful supercomputer. 360° visibility with 250m of range. ^Source

* Safety features of Autopilot 2.X hardware will come standard. ^Source

* 400kWh (roughly 1000 miles / 1609km) yearly credit for supercharger use. ^Source

* Rear seats fold flat. ^Source

* ~5’6” (167cm) of space from the back of the front seats to the end of the trunk ^Source, and you can fit a 7ft surfboard in the vehicle. ^Source

* Hankook Tires (standard). ^Source

* Rear driver’s side charging receptacle. ^Source

* Access to the not yet officially announced “Tesla Network”. ^Source

* Originally was supposed to be called "Model E" but Ford killed SEX and took the name first. ^Source

Options

* ~~300+ mile [483km+] range battery. ^Source~~ Edit: Second-hand source, not yet confirmed.

* There will be longer range battery available as an option, but a 100kWh version will NOT be available ^Source

* AWD. ^Source

* ~~0-60 mph in <4 seconds 0-100km/h in <4.14 seconds] for dual motor / performance version. ^Source~~ Edit: Second-hand source, not yet confirmed.

* Performance model. ^Source

* Ludicrous mode. ^Source

* All glass roof - panoramic OR fixed glass. ^Source (Note: It is possible this may be standard and the steel roof will be an option). Glass will have UV and IR protection. ^Source

* Solar roof. ^Source ^Source

* Tow hitch. ^Source

* At least 3 different wheel designs to choose from. ^Source

* Front 235/35ZR20 and rear 275/30ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire option, likely other tire options available as well. ^Source

Release Information

* Production begins mid 2017. ^Source

* Deliveries starting sometime in the second half of 2017. ^Source

* First deliveries will be made on the west coast and move east incrementally. ^Source

* Tesla and SpaceX employees will be given priority. Current Tesla owners are also given priority in each region (although Tesla has said only 7% of Model 3 reservation holders are current owners. ^Source ). ^Source

* Initially, deliveries of highly option versions will be prioritized. ^Source

* First 12 months of production are “sold out”. ^Source ^Source

* Elon has said Tesla aims to produce 100,000 to 200,000 units in H2 of 2017. ^Source

* Elon has said the Model 3 won't be late like the Model X. ^Source

* Enough parts have been ordered for a fleet of 300 prototypes. ^Source

Cost

* Base: $35,000 ^Source

* Options such as AWD will be some proportion less than that of the Model S / X. ^Source

* $7,500 tax credit available, but will begin phase-out after 200,000 rebates claimed. After reaching that threshold, the tax credit will be reduced by 50% for the second calendar quarter of the quarter in which the 200,000th vehicle is made. During the third and fourth calendar quarter after threshold has been met, the tax credit is reduced by an additional 50%. After that the credit will no longer be available. ^Source

* $1000 refundable reservation deposit. ^Source

NOTE: Yes, this is a crosspost from Reddit, where I posted this about a month ago.

This is probably incorrect. The cited source only confirms that one of the prototype wheels will make it to production.

We know that the wheels from the silver prototype will make it to production. ^Source
Plus, it's the wheel being displayed on the reservation page.
Tesla-Model-3-blue.png

We've had no indication that the black aero wheels will make it to production.
Matte-Tesla-Model-3-Event-Stage.jpg

When the black prototype was later seen on the highway, it appeared to have had the aero wheels replaced with a blacked-out version of the above silver wheels. ^Source

The red prototype was mostly just a shell. Therefore, I believe the wheels on the red prototype weren't meant for production, and might not be able to even support the weight of an actual car. Unlike the other two wheels, there doesn't appear to be room for a 5-bolt lug pattern, and I really doubt that this low-cost car will have a centerlock wheel option.
tesla-model-3-5-of-12.jpg

I believe the 7% of model 3 reservations are current owners was a statement shortly after March 31. I suspect that particularly the Model S60 sales in the ensuing 9 months have bumped up that percentage considerably. A September 28 Electrek article said one third of Model S orders were from the Model 3 list. Of course an unknown number will probably fall off the Model 3 list. Regardless, I'd bet the 7% number is way low today.

Last edited:
So here is the list I've come up with so far. If I missed something please leave a comment and I'll add it to the list. I tried to keep the list as free from speculation as possible, but of course everything is subject to change before the final release later this year.

* 215 of range accomplished with < 60kWh battery due to 30% denser energy storage. ^Source ^Source

* Guesstimated L x W x H: 184.1 x 74.2 x 56.5 in. 467.6 x 188.5 x 143.5 cm] ^ Source

* RWD. ^Source

* 15” touchscreen (landscape orientation) and software suite similar to model S & X. ^Source ^Source ^Source

* 4 doors. ^Source

* Frunk. ^Source

* Steel roof. ^Source (Note: It is possible this may be an option and the glass roof is standard).

* Autopilot 2.X hardware capable of level 5 autonomy. Hardware includes 8 cameras of which 3 are front-facing, 12 ultrasonic sensors, forward-facing radar and powerful supercomputer. 360° visibility with 250m of range. ^Source

* 400kWh (roughly 1000 miles / 1609km) yearly credit for supercharger use. ^Source

* ~5’6” (167cm) of space from the back of the front seats to the end of the trunk ^Source, and you can fit a 7ft surfboard in the vehicle. ^Source

* Originally was supposed to be called "Model E" but Ford killed SEX and took the name first. ^Source

Options

* ~~300+ mile [483km+] range battery. ^Source~~ Edit: Second-hand source, not yet confirmed.

* There will be longer range battery available as an option, but a 100kWh version will NOT be available ^Source

* AWD. ^Source

* ~~0-60 mph in <4 seconds 0-100km/h in <4.14 seconds] for dual motor / performance version. ^Source~~ Edit: Second-hand source, not yet confirmed.

* All glass roof - panoramic OR fixed glass. ^Source (Note: It is possible this may be standard and the steel roof will be an option). Glass will have UV and IR protection. ^Source

* Tow hitch. ^Source

* Front 235/35ZR20 and rear 275/30ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire option, likely other tire options available as well. ^Source

Release Information

* First deliveries will be made on the west coast and move east incrementally. ^Source

* Tesla and SpaceX employees will be given priority. Current Tesla owners are also given priority in each region (although Tesla has said only 7% of Model 3 reservation holders are current owners. ^Source ). ^Source

* Elon has said Tesla aims to produce 100,000 to 200,000 units in H2 of 2017. ^Source

Cost

* Options such as AWD will be some proportion less than that of the Model S / X. ^Source

* $7,500 tax credit available, but will begin phase-out after 200,000 rebates claimed. After reaching that threshold, the tax credit will be reduced by 50% for the second calendar quarter of the quarter in which the 200,000th vehicle is made. During the third and fourth calendar quarter after threshold has been met, the tax credit is reduced by an additional 50%. After that the credit will no longer be available. ^Source

NOTE: Yes, this is a crosspost from Reddit, where I posted this about a month ago.
Do you have a job?

H

* RWD. ^Source

* 4 doors. ^Source

* Frunk. ^Source

Options

* AWD. ^Source

* Tow hitch. ^Source

Release Information

Cost

Hopefully everyone in this forum with a reservation will be ( In 9 months or so ) able to say to your list......."Yeah, I know - I have one already".

Reactions: strykeroz
Nice post.

One point I might quibble with though...

The Motor Trend "guesstimates" are probably pretty reasonable for the exterior dimensions, since we were able to actually see the sizes of the prototypes. But the MT weight estimate of 4200-4350 lbs seems complete conjured. (For this MT says "MT estimates based on image scaling, best intelligence.")

Since that MT article was published, we now have an actual curb weight for the Bolt: only 3580 lbs. Given that the Bolt's battery is bigger than the base Model 3's AND uses a less energy dense cell chemistry, I have a very hard time imagining that the base Model 3 will be 620-770 lbs heavier than the Bolt. Sure, the M3 is quite a bit longer and a bit wider than the Bolt, so I'd expect some additional weight. But not that much. Especially when we can be fairly certain that the Tesla engineers will have been working hard to squeeze as many miles of EV range out of each kWh of battery capacity as possible.

But the MT weight estimate of 4200-4350 lbs seems complete conjured. (For this MT says "MT estimates based on image scaling, best intelligence.")

Since that MT article was published, we now have an actual curb weight for the Bolt: only 3580 lbs. Given that the Bolt's battery is bigger than the base Model 3's AND uses a less energy dense cell chemistry, I have a very hard time imagining that the base Model 3 will be 620-770 lbs heavier than the Bolt. Sure, the M3 is quite a bit longer and a bit wider than the Bolt, so I'd expect some additional weight. But not that much. Especially when we can be fairly certain that the Tesla engineers will have been working hard to squeeze as many miles of EV range out of each kWh of battery capacity as possible.

You make a good point. I know they are planning on using a lot more steel in the Model 3 compared to the mostly aluminum Model S, but I'm not sure it would account for such a big increase in weight.

Just to nitpick, I don't think they ever said explicitly that the 3 would get the free 400kWh (even though I believe they probably will get some amount).

The official announcement:

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.
[...]
As we approach the launch of Model 3, this update will enable us to greatly expand our Supercharger Network, providing customers with the best possible user experience and bringing sustainable transport to even more people."

"Teslas".
"All owners".
"All cars".

I guess it's not explicitly explicit, in that doesn't say "all Teslas, including Model 3's". But it's pretty close. They could've easily said "Model S and Model X" in the announcement instead of "all cars" if it only applied to S/X without leading all M3 reservation holders to believe it also applied to them.

Plus, later, when asked specifically about M3 supercharging, Musk said:

"Model 3, from the beginning we said free charging is not included in the Model 3 – free unlimited charging is not included, so, free long distance is, but not free local."

which seems to explicitly say M3's will get some free supercharging.

Plus, pissing off hundreds of thousands of M3 reservation holders just to save maybe $20-$40 per year per vehicle (if, say, M3's only got 200kWh/yr instead of 400) would be downright stupid.

• Informative
Reactions: allhands

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.
[...]
As we approach the launch of Model 3, this update will enable us to greatly expand our Supercharger Network, providing customers with the best possible user experience and bringing sustainable transport to even more people."

"Teslas".
"All owners".
"All cars".

I guess it's not explicitly explicit, in that doesn't say "all Teslas, including Model 3's". But it's pretty close. They could've easily said "Model S and Model X" in the announcement instead of "all cars" if it only applied to them.

"Model 3, from the beginning we said free charging is not included in the Model 3 – free unlimited charging is not included, so, free long distance is, but not free local."

Plus, pissing off hundreds of thousands of M3 reservation holders just to save maybe $20-$40 per year per vehicle would be downright stupid.
Finally - someone in this forum that heard ELON say " Free long distance SC'ing is still in play", but not free local.

When I quoted ELON say this in another thread - you would have thought that I smacked everyone in the face.

[...]

"Teslas".
"All owners".
"All cars".

I guess it's not explicitly explicit, in that doesn't say "all Teslas, including Model 3's". But it's pretty close. They could've easily said "Model S and Model X" in the announcement instead of "all cars" if it only applied to S/X without leading all M3 reservation holders to believe it also applied to them.

Plus, pissing off hundreds of thousands of M3 reservation holders just to save maybe $20-$40 per year per vehicle (if, say, M3's only got 200kWh/yr instead of 400) would be downright stupid.
All good points, but reservation holders of the past have been lead to believe things that were not true and they have been pissed off as well.

From the 12 January blog post "Building the Supercharger Network for the Future":

Tesla Model S and Model X cars ordered after January 15, 2017 will receive 400 kWh (kilowatt-hour) of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) annually on the anniversary of their delivery. We carefully considered current Supercharger usage and found that 400 kWh covers the annual long-distance driving needs of the majority of our owners. As a result, most owners will continue to enjoy the benefits of Supercharging on road trips at no additional cost.

Last edited:

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. ....

Both of those are from the original announcement in November. There have since been a few others that specifically only mention the Model S and X. I'd say that the exclusion of the Model 3 was intentional and that, while it may get some free SC credits, it may not be the 400kWh of the S and S.