Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I made a thing to charge 2 cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share a thing I built inspired by Ben Nelson's project DIY Home Automation Controller for Electric Car Charging - 300MPG.org.
I've been charging my TM3 LR RWD for 2 years on a 240v/20A circuit that I had before and was getting about 10-11MPH which was OK, but we just added a MY AWD and I needed to up the charging rate. I couldn't justify 1 wall charger not alone 2 and I've found my mobile charger to be more than adequate. I just needed a way for both cars to charge over night during the lowest rate available. I think Tesla's scheduled charging interface isn't very intuitive and lacks flexibility so I made my own dual charger smart switch with programmable times for each car and an over ride switch option with remote capability. Plus a voltage/usage reader that I can reset every month to see the total KWH I've used for charging the cars. Connected to an upgraded 50A with 6 gauge SOW rated wire and Nema 14-50, TM3 get's charged from 9pm to 2am and MY from 2:01am to 8am at 30-32MPH, it covers more than what we need for our daily driving
This was something I wanted and needed to do even if there is a software route available.
I know there may be some critical of my project, but that's fine, it works for me and that was the goal.

Attachments

• 20210804_172254.jpg
    20210804_172254.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 111
I'm using a Sonoff dual smart switch that has a schedule feature for each channel
Thank you, I noticed the device but I didn't know it was controlled by WiFi.
I needed a similar device but I wanted to have sunset and sunrise programming integrated.

Can you explain the switch function(s) on the right.
Is it only on and off for both relays or can you select to turn on only one of the relays?

Last edited:
The Sonoff Dual controls 2 switches independently. I can control each charger at any time as desired. The app for the Sonoff is eWelink which is available on Google play store and I would image the Apple store as well. Take a look at it and you'll see that it has many customizable functions from timer to schedule to even setting up Scenes.
I will put together a parts list I used. I got all from Amazon.

Yes, I would be interested knowing which online store you may recommend for the box, the relays, lamp, rails...
Some can be found on amazon but not always at the best price, or aliexpress but shipping takes time.

Display unit

Small distribution block

LED lights

Main switch

Contactors. I went with 4 pole but you should be able to do 2 pole unit also

Alternate 2 pole contactor

Ground terminal block

Override switch 3 position

Sonoff Dual smart switch

Small terminal block for my Neutral line

14-50 outlets x2

Din Rail

Junction box. Looks like Amazon is out of the box I used but here is another retailer

Thanks a lot for the list.

- I was wondering about the need to have a circuit breaker for the Neutral?
Also the Neutral wire seems to have a very small gauge.

- Also, what the function of the "Override switch 3 position".
Is it a way to manualy turning on and off charging?
If so, does this disconnect the other car if the timer was activated.

Note: For the links, for more clarity you could have deleted everything starting with the '?' sign.

Thanks a lot for the list.

- I was wondering about the need to have a circuit breaker for the Neutral?
Also the Neutral wire seems to have a very small gauge.

- Also, what the function of the "Override switch 3 position".
Is it a way to manualy turning on and off charging?
If so, does this disconnect the other car if the timer was activated.

Note: For the links, for more clarity you could have deleted everything starting with the '?' sign.
Neutral doesn't need to be run through the main shut off but I had an extra terminal so I used it. There is no power in the neutral line so 16 gauge is plenty.
The over ride switch is basically a manual switch that you can turn on either chargers outside the scheduled times. For example, my low rate is available all weekend long from Friday night to Monday morning so I can turn either charger on via the app or in person once the car is plugged in.
The app has a feature for setting up "scenes" which I haven't played with but theoretically you should be able to set it up where if one is on and another is turned on, the 1st would automatically shut off to avoid overlap.

Thank you for the tip on the links. I didn't know this.

Reactions: Watts_Up