Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I may order a base model S so ? Confused on AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No ICE

2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1
Apr 10, 2016
Kansas City
IMG_0030.JPG
My wife and I own a model S75D 2016 AP1. It's her car!! I need a car now for myself. I was waiting for the model 3 to come out but know I will need all of the storage that the model S offers to carry my work equipment. With the new pricing arrangements on the model S I maybe ordering a base no options selected, S75.

My situation is this will be a work car for me 30k miles/yr, daily driving 120-150 miles everyday. So the 8yr unlimited mileage drive unit/battery coverage is important to me. The only things besides the lower cost that was pushing me to cpo are the 85 battery size and glass/pano roof, and power liftgate all for cpo average price of 57-60k. Thanks to the new pricing options including now the glass roof and the liftgate I feel I may just buy the lowest priced new tesla and yield 2-2.5 more years of drive train coverage and the 7500 tax incentive!

So long story short without purchasing the AP2 options (which I can later) are any of the other of the cars capabilities possible? TACC, self parallel parking, summon?etc.... anything besides AP on the highway missing? Or are all of those capabilities part of the AP2 software option? I just can not figure this out from the tesla website? Anyone else not order the AP2 option and have any experiences you can share please.

Here is a pic of all my gear in my wife's car just to make sure it all would fit. It does with the rear seats down!

Agreed, I like using AP1 in my wife's car. And probably will eventually pay for it once it's at full capabilties, I am just trimming cost off the original order for now. Most of the cpo's I have been looking at online don't have AP1 either.
Thank you for your insight on the other functions. I was wondering if they were all tied togiether. Sounds like they are.

View attachment 223412 ...capabilities possible...

Without paying for Autopilot you still have a feature that requires Autopilot hardware:

1) Automatic Emergency Braking: notice that it does not brake to a stop. It only slows the speed down (65 - 25 = colliding at a slower speed of 40mph). It does not activate in all cases as evidenced by Florida fatal accident, collisions to freeway guardrails, current garage wall lawsuit, ...)

2) I am not sure whether you can still have ultrasonic proximity warnings?

I think that's about all the benefits from AP hardware by not paying for it.

Without paying for Autopilot you still have a feature that requires Autopilot hardware:

1) Automatic Emergency Braking: notice that it does not brake to a stop. It only slows the speed down (65 - 25 = colliding at a slower speed of 40mph). It does not activate in all cases as evidenced by Florida fatal accident, collisions to freeway guardrails, current garage wall lawsuit, ...)

2) I am not sure whether you can still have ultrasonic proximity warnings?

I think that's about all the benefits from AP hardware by not paying for it.

Note that AEB isn't implemented in AP2 yet. I'd imagine you'd get front collision warning though...

• Informative
Reactions: No ICE and Tam