Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I messed up my new Tesla Model 3 LR !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is just two weeks old and still has the temporary plates on it. I've been so careful with it (and loving the car) but I got distracted in a parking garage and backed into another car (with a trailer hitch?). As you can see from the photos, the damage to my rear bumper looks surprisingly serious. It seems to have punched holes right through the rear bumper, which makes me worry about water and etc getting inside. First picture is close up and second picture is from a bit farther back.

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7178.jpg

Do any of you know if this is something Tesla can/would fix? If so, I wonder if they would have to replace the entire bumper, or........?

I feel just sick about this and appreciate your advice or stories from anyone with a similar experience. Thanks in advance

It looks like it would require a new bumper skin. I doubt it could be repaired and even if it could it would have to be repainted. I would at least have it checked to make sure there's no damage to something behind the skin that might be a safety issue.

My car is just two weeks old and still has the temporary plates on it. I've been so careful with it (and loving the car) but I got distracted in a parking garage and backed into another car (with a trailer hitch?). As you can see from the photos, the damage to my rear bumper looks surprisingly serious. It seems to have punched holes right through the rear bumper, which makes me worry about water and etc getting inside. First picture is close up and second picture is from a bit farther back.

View attachment 721428
View attachment 721429

Do any of you know if this is something Tesla can/would fix? If so, I wonder if they would have to replace the entire bumper, or........?

I feel just sick about this and appreciate your advice or stories from anyone with a similar experience. Thanks in advance
Looks like just the bumper cover needs replaced. Unless you were going fast when you hit. Get a replacement from Tesla, Should take less than an hour to replace. Go enjoy your car.

g

There's nothing inside there to worry about getting wet or damaged, just some styrofoam for impact absorption.

But you do need a whole new bumper cover. I think it might be possible to order one pre-painted? Request a quote in the app and expect to pay around $1500 total. You can check local junkyards to see if a good red one is available but it's usually not worthwhile to repaint a junkyard part.

I did something similar to my pickup truck. Since it was an out of pocket repair, I had it bondo-ed and sprayed at MAACO. Very inexpensive, virtually unnoticeable, and it can easily be replaced with a new bumper later - after a few more dings, maybe,

This feedback may (and probably should) be rejected out of hand. :)

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Here's a data point for you. I recently had my rear 2018 Model 3 bumper cover replaced (wanted to avoid the typical body shop experience). I went into the app and made an appointment for body work and it set the appointment for 2 weeks out. I dropped off the car on appointment day at 2 pm and it was ready at 9 am the next day. I had heard that the covers from the factory come unpainted, but I forgot to ask if that was the case and they had it painted or if it came in already painted red. The cost was $840 for the painted cover, and $120 labor to remove the damaged one and install the new one. I'm very satisfied with the job. The paint matched perfectly and the install was great. I already sent in for replacement HOV lane stickers, although I'm not expecting anything back from the DMV real soon... :)