Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I miss Android Auto - phone mounting solutions that you rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just taken delivery of my 3 and I miss the superior traffic/routes from Google in Android Auto and I also miss being able to have my paid for (Patreon) RSS feeds of my Podcasts.

I'm going to look at how to have Android Auto working nicely in the Model 3. I've got Android Auto for Phones running automatically as I connect to Bluetooth so my next challenge is mounting it.

I want something minimalist but reachable, I've seen a few options, does anyone have any top tips for a phone mount in the 3 (2021)?

Last edited:
There is one on WISH that clips to the steering wheel, so your phone fits between the horn and the top of the wheel rim. Kind of like a mobile f1 style dash which would work well on the 3 given it doesnt have a dash. the device can also be turned to sit above the wheel.

Attachments

• 7FAECF50-A174-4ED4-A41B-A3B532DC9BBA.jpeg
    7FAECF50-A174-4ED4-A41B-A3B532DC9BBA.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Well, that steering wheel one is for the bin :). It's just too hard to put the phone in it and I don't really want my nav going around with the wheel :)

I'll report back on the next option.

What would be really nice is if you could mirror your phone screen to the Model 3's screen. It could just replace the map leaving the car status and cards as they are. That way you could leave the phone in the console area.

This is the mount that I use:

It's pretty sturdy and never falls off the glass.

I agree the Tesla navigation is mediocre compared to the real time traffic updates from google maps or waze.

This is the mount that I use:

It's pretty sturdy and never falls off the glass.

I agree the Tesla navigation is mediocre compared to the real time traffic updates from google maps or waze.
Isnt the tesla traffic updates in Australia from google maps?

I use this style

Does it vibrate much when driving? Are you comfortable that its not putting too much weight/stress on the screen?

I use this style

Me too. I find it the best solution for face ID when I drive long distances. They are on Amazon AU for around $60 either a standard or charging holder. Being made of a relatively pliant material they are silent and whilst they only come with one cradle they do come with both the left and right ball arms so you can fit a second from any old holder you have that has a standard ball cup arrangement. I did just that. The photo makes the phone on my side look higher than it actually is.

tp1.jpg
tp3.jpg

Attachments

• tp2.jpg
    tp2.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Informative
Reactions: OzVic