TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I miss my car.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by harcocjh, Sep 14, 2018.

1. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

So this past Sunday evening after washing her up real nice and shining the wheels I summoned her back into the garage, plugged her in and went to bed. The next morning I went to leave for work and was presented with two messages: "car needs service" and "cannot maintain vehicle power". Car was towed to Tesla service center Tuesday and after calling a bunch and leaving a couple messages today I finally heard back that it's a drive unit failure and they are ordering a new one but don't know when it will come in because "it's such a new vehicle". So meanwhile I'm in a Chevy Tahoe from Enterprise waiting for a Tesla loaner to become available. If they can get me a loaner with autopilot then I can be as patient as necessary. But for right now my hour plus commute sucks again after 4 months and 8k miles of glorious autopilot goodness.

Can't wait to get her back! Love the car so much!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. sroh

sroh Member

Sorry to hear it.

Food for thought. When I took ours in for service, they indicated all the Tesla loaners were out and tried to pawn off an ICE vehicle as a loaner. I told them I really wanted a Tesla and was willing to wait for one to be returned. Funny they were able to 'find' one that was available.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Runebane

Runebane Member

Sorry to hear that!! I totally understand what you mean about missing the autopilot. I have an hour commute each way and can't imagine doing it without it now... and I only have about 2500 miles on my 3.

4. Drax

Drax Member

Sorry to hear, but it could be worse.. At least you won’t have to wait for a new build?

Just make sure to save all of your gas receipts. Tesla will reimburse you while you’re in the rental!

• Like x 1
  5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Drive unit failure at 8,000 Miles? Ugh. Pathetic.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  6. drawfour

drawfour Member

I needed a transmission replacement in my 2003 Nissan 350Z within a couple months of owning it. It was affectionately known on the forums as the "3rd Gear Grind", and no amount of synchronizing engine speed or double-clutching would make it not grind going into 3rd gear.

*sugar* happens. It's under warranty.

• Like x 1
  7. spurs10

spurs10 Member

I hear and read a lot about drive unit failure. It’s fairly common especially if you look at the 2013 MS with high mileage

8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Failing early is better than failing later.

Warranties are designed to expire before MTBF.

9. Tezlah

Tezlah Member

I took my car in for service last month (almost 3 weeks total), kept my gas receipts (only $46 total), and the service center told me they do not reimburse gas.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

haha. well, at lease you tried.

11. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Pathetic? Kind of like Fords shitty engine in the RS, or their crappy automatic transmissions that had a class action lawsuit and had to pay and extend the warranty. Or maybe the dozens of BMWs that just spontaneously catch on fire and recalled and stopped selling in Korea. Pathetic.

• Informative x 1
  12. Buddy

Buddy Member

I was told gas was reimbursed by the Buena Park SC. Turned in my loaner and receipts a couple weeks ago.

13. Drax

Drax Member

Call and ask again, or call a different service center and ask. Tesla has always reimbursed gas costs, so unless something has changed in the last month or so, you’ve been given incorrect info.

14. Hogfighter

Hogfighter Professional Lurker

Sorry to hear that!

It’s important to understand that the Drive Unit consists of the motor, inverter and gearbox. It’s not unheard of to have some small part within that unit fail, but rather than spend the time and effort rebuilding it on site, they put in a new one.

That process is super quick and easy once they have the new part. Best of luck!

15. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yes pathetic. Tesla’s have a huge drive unit failure rate. They need to get it figured out. $55,000+ vehicles should not leave multiple people stranded within a year of purchase.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  16. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yes but have you read about the Model S’ that have had 5+ drive unit replacements? That’s pathetic for such an expensive car. I’d be pretty upset if my $100,000 car left me stranded multiple times.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  17. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yea but when these vehicles have multiple drive unit failures we are going to end up paying for replacements out of warranty at some point.

• Like x 2
  18. Hogfighter

Hogfighter Professional Lurker

Yes I have. That was me.

And I know why each one was changed. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat. Oh and that was almost 6 years ago....pretty sure that the best engineers in the world have made a few improvements since then.

• Like x 1
  19. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Stranded? That's rather hyperbolic. With rare exceptions, those Model S drive unit replacements were for noise issues. Nothing to do with being stranded.

It took Tesla some time to diagnose and fix th problem, reportedly by using ceramic bearings. Nowadays noisy drive unit replacements are uncommon.

20. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah so now there’s is less of a chance to catch it before it strands you. Trust me, I love my model 3 but will be pretty mad if it leaves me stranded before even 100,000 Miles. I’ve had a VW Jetta (that was a nightmare but still never left me stranded), a Hyundai Elantra, and a Mitsubishi Lancer that never left me unable to start the vehicle so this car that was twice as expensive shouldn’t either.