Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I miss my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah so now there’s is less of a chance to catch it before it strands you. Trust me, I love my model 3 but will be pretty mad if it leaves me stranded before even 100,000 Miles. I’ve had a VW Jetta (that was a nightmare but still never left me stranded), a Hyundai Elantra, and a Mitsubishi Lancer that never left me unable to start the vehicle so this car that was twice as expensive shouldn’t either.
Guess you never had a VW Jetta with a 2005-2008 DSG transmission. That left a lot of people stranded, including me, way before 50,000 miles.

Yeah so now there’s is less of a chance to catch it before it strands you...
Oh come on! Noisy drive units on early Model S cars had nothing whatsoever to do with rare drive unit failures that leave people stranded. You are painting with too broad a brush to suit your view that drive unit failures are common. They are not.

If you want something to obsess over, I'd worry about MCU failures. That is a serious inconvenience in the S because the car won't charge. Might be similar in the 3.

Please provide evidence for "huge drive unit failure rate". Where did you get your data?
808DE9B7-8113-4E65-A751-55D16926639C.png

So this past Sunday evening after washing her up real nice and shining the wheels I summoned her back into the garage, plugged her in and went to bed. The next morning I went to leave for work and was presented with two messages: "car needs service" and "cannot maintain vehicle power". Car was towed to Tesla service center Tuesday and after calling a bunch and leaving a couple messages today I finally heard back that it's a drive unit failure and they are ordering a new one but don't know when it will come in because "it's such a new vehicle". So meanwhile I'm in a Chevy Tahoe from Enterprise waiting for a Tesla loaner to become available. If they can get me a loaner with autopilot then I can be as patient as necessary. But for right now my hour plus commute sucks again after 4 months and 8k miles of glorious autopilot goodness.

Can't wait to get her back! Love the car so much!
Very sorry my dude. But you see you are not Kim from Like Tesla or Marques Brown for Tesla to give you time of the day. I feel very disappointed to see stories like these when there are famous YouTubers getting server priorities and getting their cars back within 24hrs. Yes, yes, I know there has been one other story of same day delivery in Atlanta but who is to say it's also not posted by Like Tesla people to use it as a case for Tesla treats everyone the same way. This is beyond filthy. I am sorry you have to be on the receiving end of this crap.

I am scheduled to pick up my P3D on 26th and hoping everything goes well and I don't run into issues like yours. Hopefully, you get yiur vehicle asap :(

Yeah i had my drive unit replaced. Was only without my car for 3 days. And i dont run a youtube channel. Mine never failed, it just made a weird noise and they proactively replaced it.

Yes but have you read about the Model S’ that have had 5+ drive unit replacements? That’s pathetic for such an expensive car. I’d be pretty upset if my $100,000 car left me stranded multiple times.

One guy.

Yea but when these vehicles have multiple drive unit failures we are going to end up paying for replacements out of warranty at some point.

any sources besides people on TMC?

Yes pathetic. Tesla’s have a huge drive unit failure rate. They need to get it figured out. $55,000+ vehicles should not leave multiple people stranded within a year of purchase.

Any official sources or numbers besides TMC? Do a poll, the majority of people have never had a drive unit replaced. Stop making up things.

One guy.

In a poll that doesn't have "no replacement" as an option is not exactly an accurate gauge. Even in those polls, most had only 1 replacement.

Out of how many Model S Tesla has built? 290k encounting?

If you tally all the Model S owners on the TMC, thats still less than 1% of owners that have had a drive unit replacement. Hardly a "common occurrence."

In fact, so uncommon Tesla feels confident in discontinuing drive unit fluid replacement in the maintenance plans and have done so for the last year or so. Now why would they stop servicing the drive unit if it was prone to problems? so weird.

I bet i can go on a VW forum and find a guy who had an automatic transmission replaced 6+ times too.

In a poll that doesn't have "no replacement" as an option is not exactly an accurate gauge. Even in those polls, most had only 1 replacement.

Out of how many Model S Tesla has built? 290k encounting?

If you tally all the Model S owners on the TMC, thats still less than 1% of owners that have had a drive unit replacement. Hardly a "common occurrence."
Not all 290K or whatever Model S drivers are all here on TMC. Even if they all were, not all of them are reporting DU replacements when they happen.

From Two Thirds of Early Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000miles from Dec 2015:
Of the vehicles that have been reported to the Plug In America Model S owner survey, 32% of the 2012 model year cars have had their drive unit replaced at least once, 27% of 2013's, and 18% of 2014's and so far none of the very few 2015's reported. As you can see, the older cars have higher numbers. Is that because Tesla has improved the newer cars or because the newer cars haven't been on the road long enough for them to see the issues yet? To answer that question, one has to analyze the data using methods from reliability engineering. That's what the folks a Green Car Reports did; see page two of their article for more details.

I've looked over their methods, studied the relevant mathematical models, and their math looks good to me.

To get a clearer picture, we need more data. If you haven't filed a recent report on your Model S, please use the survey form to file a first report or the update form to add current data to a previous report.
Edmunds had their Model S DU replaced 3 times (2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds). 1st was for noise. 2nd was for total failure. 3rd was for noise again.

I haven't watched all of
, but at ~4:40 he mentioned the bearings are shot and the splines are wearing out. I've seen the same two issues mentioned about the gen 2 Rav4 EV DU (supplied by Tesla). You may want to listen to the comments from 0:20 to ~1:08.

you're talking about previous build DUs. Didn't tesla redesign the DU for the Model S recently.

Surveys on failures are always loaded with confirmation bias. People with cars that run normally are not going to go find a poll to answer.

I’m glad I don’t even have to respond to those asking for proof. The proof is out there. Of course I can’t prove the actual failure rate because I can’t talk to the owners of all 250,000 Teslas that have been sold. However, it’s clearly more of an issue than it should be. I actually hope you are right and I never have to deal with it but I wouldn’t be surprised if I do have to at some point.

you're talking about previous build DUs. Didn't tesla redesign the DU for the Model S recently.
IIRC, revision -Q is the latest and maybe -P for performance models? I forget when -Q's started being included but I believe it was by around 2015 (What to do when Tesla refuses to make warranty repair, 2014 S85 getting new drive unit and Drive Unit failure symptoms and thresholds for replacement).

I've pointed out at Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum a few examples of total DU failures after revision -Q had been shipping. I know have and can find more.
Surveys on failures are always loaded with confirmation bias. People with cars that run normally are not going to go find a poll to answer.
I've been active on mynissanleaf since mid-2011. I cannot think of a single time a motor/gearbox assembly on a Leaf has been replaced due to complete failure. It is extremely rare for them to be replaced for any reason (e.g. noise). I can think of fewer than 5 instances of anyone needing a motor/gearbox replacement on a Leaf posted on MNL or any other Leaf FB group I'm on.

This is a sharp contrast with what I've seen on TMC.

I've been active on mynissanleaf since mid-2011. I cannot think of a single time a motor/gearbox assembly on a Leaf has been replaced due to complete failure. It is extremely rare for them to be replaced for any reason (e.g. noise). I can think of fewer than 5 instances of anyone needing a motor/gearbox replacement on a Leaf posted on MNL or any other Leaf FB group I'm on.

This is a sharp contrast with what I've seen on TMC.
\

Fair enough, but the im sure the Leaf forums are littered with a lot of reports of premature battery failure/degradation. So while its not the same issue, every car has their thing.

Reactions: untilcomplete
\

Fair enough, but the im sure the Leaf forums are littered with a lot of reports of premature battery failure/degradation. So while its not the same issue, every car has their thing.

It’s great that Tesla at least warrants both the battery and drive unit for 8 years. I just hope to have this car for 10-15 years so don’t really want to pay for drive unit replacement out of pocket (what is the cost anyway? $5-8k?). This is my most expensive car ever by twice as much so I can’t just go buying a new one every 5-8 years.