Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I miss the opening sunroof.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving around the German Black Forest in a rental MX.The front glass roof is nice but on these murky days it’s not a patch on the opening sunroof of my previous AP1 MS. The teenagers in the back complain about feeling claustrophobic with the smaller glass openings. And can the falcon door be sped up at all?

Any idea if future generations will have an opening panoramic sunroof? The one in my daughter’s new Mini Electric is fantastic - like putting a convertible top down.

Tesla's on-going approach to build the cars as much the same as possible and with the least cabin features they can get away with implies they aren't going to bring back sun-roofs and necessary seals etc anytime soon - until they have competition.
My ex-demo 2018 S was one of the last with carbon interior and sunroof but I hardly ever use roof since mid-Wales its a choice between getting very wet or (rarely) sunburnt and blown away.

Based on the current catalogue of water related issues the M3 has
Water in lights
Leaking roofs
Floors being damaged by puddles
Bumper being removed by puddles
Water in doors
Water in electrics
Water in boot
Water in boot lid

I don't think Tesla can currently be trusted with something as complex as a sunroof. Be careful what you wish for!

Off and on topic.. I had a loaner MS last week when my MX was in service. It drove me NUTS that the sunroof operation via the wheel was backwards. Roll backwards for forwards (closing), roll it forward for backwards (opening). /end rant

Well, I had that AP1 MS for 4 years with the opening sunroof. No leaks,no squeaks, always a joy with a quick upwards thumb motion to a precise % opening to let in the outside.Used to do that every summer evening after work. Drove through Switzerland one summer - great views of the peaks through it. This rental MX front glass is nicer than the other current Teslas but nothing like that open air feeling....