Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need new tires for my 19's any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok,

I am now beyond 26,000 miles and my tires are at 3-4/32nds, so time to tire shop. I was wondering if anyone has had to get new tires yet and if so, if you would recommend the ones you got.

My husband was looking at the Michelin Primacy's. Does anyone with these have an opinion on how they are?

Thanks for you help.

Liz, what tires came on your car? Just curious to know the brand that you got 26K miles out of.

As you probably know, the S85 currently comes standard with Michelin Primacy tires. Do you have an S60?

I have an S85. My car came with Goodyear Eagles OEM's.
e
We've done a little more looking around the Hankook Ventus look like a good deal for replacement tires. They're not low rolling resistance but for the price they seem to have good specs. But hoping to get input from others, if possible. I know I've got one of the higher mileage cars out there, so may not be too many out there who have had to change tires on their 19s.

What type of tire are you looking for? If you want straight up performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport. (doesn't come in 245/45/19 though, you'd have to go with something like 255/40/19).

Michelin Pilot A/S 3 an excellent all season tire. They are one of the best preforming tires available in the wet.

The OEM goodyears are extremely good value as Evan mentions below.

Last edited:
Liz, there's another tire thread on the site somewhere, and after reading it my plan was to get the Primacys. But the OEM Goodyear are $80 off a set of 4 making them less than half the price of the Primacy. So even if you only get 20-26K miles off of them you're still money ahead on a set of Primacy. The next time around I'll probably go Primacy as I detest having to change tires more often than necessary, but the deal was too good to pass up. I went through Sam's Club and got the premium warranty for only a few bucks more per tire.

What type of tire are you looking for? If you want straight up performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport. (doesn't come in 245/45/19 though, you'd have to go with something like 255/40/19).
I'd really like to get the Super Sports. I wish they came in the stock size. That modified size is 0.7" from stock. That's a pretty big difference. Your odometer will be high by 4% (and speedometer low by the same amount).

They're offered in 245/45 R17/18/20, which is annoying. I sent a message asking if they intend to fill that gap. Don't really expect an answer, though.

Last edited:
Did you have your car last winter? I live in Battle Ground (north of vancouver). How did it do in the ice, little snow we got last year?

Yes. I got my car last January. So drove thru a number of snows. Did really well on the Goodyears. Had no problem climbing hills or getting thru snow. If you know how to drive in snow and ice you should be fine. Did a 45 min drive during a really bad ice storm. Cars all over the place but my S handled it fine.

Was rather disappointed though when I could seem to get her to do donuts in the parking lot. Dang traction and stability control.

Liz,
I just put the Primacy on my 85 3,000 miles ago and am very happy with them. They actually sound better now, then when I first had them installed.
The car came with the wrong tires from Tesla due to my switching the order close to the cut off date.
They made good on switching them out and I have been very happy with them.
I noticed you live in MO.
As an alternate, I think the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme is an unbelievable tire that is fantastic in the snow.
I have used them on my 911. my M5 and on my Q7.
They are the best Winter tire that can go 35-40 thousand miles YEAR ROUND.
The silica compound is fantastic for rain and snow and they wear surprisingly well.
It may be difficult to find them yet I have purchased 5 sets and have been very happy with them.
If not really concerned with the snow, then the Primacy will be fine.
We had a slight dusting of snow recently here in Chicago and I noticed the Primacy don't hold up "as well" around cornering in snow.
I drive aggressive and like to challenge the limits when it is safe. This shows me what the tires are capable of in harrowing situations.
Hope this helps,
Ivan

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the long winded response.

Also available in 255/45/R19... I have some Michelin Alpin PA3's for winter in 255/45/R19, I get a slight rubbing with the wheel turned all the way however.

Not sure which size to get the MPSS in, but I think I am leaning towards 255/40/R19. (It has a slightly wider tread width according to the specs than the 255/45).

I'd really like to get the Super Sports. I wish they came in the stock size. That modified size is 0.7" from stock. That's a pretty big difference. Your odometer will be high by 4% (and speedometer low by the same amount).

They're offered in 245/45 R17/18/20, which is annoying. I sent a message asking if they intend to fill that gap. Don't really expect an answer, though.

I hope I can get 26,000 miles out of my Goodyear OEMs.

Update: Nope, I can't.

After receiving a low pressure warning ("tire pressure very low -- please pull over safely"), Tesla found a screw on the inner side wall of one of my rear tires. I'm at 13K miles. That happens. What is distressing is that I was told that the other rear tire is showing wear on the inside and has maybe 3K miles left. That makes me wonder if the toe was way out of alignment as others have found theirs to be. I think I'm going to order a new set of Primacy tires by my local tire shop and have that checked out.

Update: Nope, I can't.

After receiving a low pressure warning ("tire pressure very low -- please pull over safely"), Tesla found a screw on the inner side wall of one of my rear tires. I'm at 13K miles. That happens. What is distressing is that I was told that the other rear tire is showing wear on the inside and has maybe 3K miles left. That makes me wonder if the toe was way out of alignment as others have found theirs to be. I think I'm going to order a new set of Primacy tires by my local tire shop and have that checked out.

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.