Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need reassurance I am making the right decision on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're questioning your purchase of a Model S and what you already have is working well, then maybe wait until Model 3 comes out, and cross-compare a new Model 3, a used Model S and a used Model X, and don't go in with any prejudices. You may find that some of them are better for you than others. There's nothing magical about any of them.

Reactions: oktane
Hi everyone,

I just signed up here so i apologize if a similar thread exists.. but i am very close to pulling the trigger on a new model s 75D. I currently have an Audi Q5 with just under 60K miles, and its completely paid off. Its given me no issues whatsoever, so i really dont need to get a new car.

However.. i started a new job about a year ago and found out we offer free electric vehicle charging in our parking lot, so that is vasiclaly $100 in free gas each month. I always have wanted a model S so after doing a test drive and playing with some numbers, i have gotten to this point where I am just looking for some reassurance that spending around $50K for a new car is a smart decision.

My justification for it is pretty simple: I spend the $50K over the next 6 years to get a car that should last me at the very least, 15 years... I put maybe 10K miles on a car in a year, and hearing that most tesla batteries maintain like 95% of their charging capacity after 150K miles, i'm led to believe this car should run beautifully (knock on wood) for those 15 years. Then after i reach whatever the battery threshold comes out to be where its time to replace it (does anyone know this milleage # yet?), i'd just cough up the money to get new batteries, essentially giving my model s a new life.

Have I done my research on this enough? Or am i misunderstanding how this should work. I just want to make sure that me getting off of a car in which i owe no money, for an expensive electric car, is actually a SMART decision for me... especially while my Audi has some value (i've been told its worth about $18K).

Looking for some feedback. Thanks everyone!
Think about what you will spend on the Q5 on oil changes, belts, hoses and anti freeze. My model S is over 4 years old 52,500 miles and my only expense has been tires.

Reactions: MagT
Think about what you will spend on the Q5 on oil changes, belts, hoses and anti freeze. My model S is over 4 years old 52,500 miles and my only expense has been tires.

Are you being serious? The Q5 can be had for $40,000 new. The cheapest Tesla is $70,000 new. That buys a lot of oil changes. If you get an $800 maintenance plan, it will cover your oil changes for a few years.

Reactions: MXWing and xborg
the overall theme of this seems to be 2 things (which is making this a very, very hard decision for me):

1) if I can afford it, go for it because its an incredible car to drive... but be prepared for it to cost a ton (aka it wont make financial sense)
2) there's alot in the pipeline- meaning both in terms of compeition, but also in Tesla's own fleet (for instance- i saw an article stating a crossover might be released in 2019).

decisions, decisions... ive got until Sunday to make the final call. while i can make it work financially, its still alot of money for me. at the same time however, ever since my test drive, i've been having dreams about this car :)

Hope you kept it? :)

I tried to justify my purchase every which way possible and when gas was almost $4/gallon. Today it's $2.25/gal here in Arizona. All of my gas savings calculations were rendered obsolete by the change in gas prices. I suggest getting it if you want it. I don't think you can justify a large purchase like that based on $100/mo in fuel savings.

A standard 75D w/o any options lands at $74,500 - not $50,000. If you were spending $74,500 on an ICE vehicle, you would end up with a car that has a much nicer interior and better overall build quality and fit-and-finish than a Tesla. With regard to the tax credit, whether or not you actually receive $7,500 depends on whether you will owe that much in taxes. I don't believe the tax credit entitles you to a refund, it only offsets taxes that you owe.

$74,500 will buy you a BMW M5 or a Mercedes CLS Coupe. I would still choose the Model S, but you have a lot of choices at that price point.

I tried to justify my purchase every which way possible and when gas was almost $4/gallon. Today it's $2.25/gal here in Arizona. All of my gas savings calculations were rendered obsolete by the change in gas prices. I suggest getting it if you want it. I don't think you can justify a large purchase like that based on $100/mo in fuel savings.

A standard 75D w/o any options lands at $74,500 - not $50,000. If you were spending $74,500 on an ICE vehicle, you would end up with a car that has a much nicer interior and better overall build quality and fit-and-finish than a Tesla. With regard to the tax credit, whether or not you actually receive $7,500 depends on whether you will owe that much in taxes. I don't believe the tax credit entitles you to a refund, it only offsets taxes that you owe.

$74,500 will buy you a BMW M5 or a Mercedes CLS Coupe. I would still choose the Model S, but you have a lot of choices at that price point.

If you rationalized a Tesla purchase to save on gas my thoughts were that money was given to you.