Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Need Some Advice On Buying My Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm new here. If this is the wrong place to post, please let me know and I'll delete. Here's my dilemma:

I've been looking at two teslas -

1: New 2019 Tesla.com ordered Performance Model 3 would be ordered with FSD & White interior at $66,900.00

2: Used Late 2016 Model S P100DL. It has all the crazy performance, Enhanced autopilot but it has that brown interior I'm not in love with. It costs $80,000.00.

So here's the problem. I REALLY want the P100D, but I'm very concerned about future proofing, it has free supercharging & I plan on keeping the car at least 3-4 years given Tesla's promise of even better autonomy. However, I'm concerned about the technology. It has Autopilot 2.0 hardware to my knowledge, and I know Elon has stated it is upgradable to AP 3.0 That the new Model 3 would ship with, however I'm not sure how efficient or immediate that upgrade can be issued. So, all you existing Tesla owners: what would you do? Go for the crazy performance and free supercharging? Or buy into a car that you know has the latest greatest, but doesn't go to 0-60 at 2.3 seconds.

I realize you can't make a decision for me, but any insight would be helpful. For those of you who will ask: no, I can't afford a new P100D, I wish I could! Thanks in advance - excited to get in a Tesla!

So here's the problem. I REALLY want the P100D, but I'm very concerned about future proofing, it has free supercharging & I plan on keeping the car at least 3-4 years given Tesla's promise of even better autonomy. However, I'm concerned about the technology. It has Autopilot 2.0 hardware to my knowledge, and I know Elon has stated it is upgradable to AP 3.0 That the new Model 3 would ship with, however I'm not sure how efficient or immediate that upgrade can be issued. So, all you existing Tesla owners: what would you do? Go for the crazy performance and free supercharging? Or buy into a car that you know has the latest greatest, but doesn't go to 0-60 at 2.3 seconds.

That Model S would be rare while the 3 is a dime a dozen.

No one can say how the upgrade will work because no one has gotten it.

It's reasonable to believe the HW 2 cars would get the upgrade first because they have been waiting the longest.

Personally, I would take a Performance 3 over a Standard Model S.

I would also take a P100D Model S over a Performance 3.

I have one of the unicorn Model X's - unlimited transferable charging and upgradable to HW3. Also a Performance Model 3.

I agree with MXWing about the S over 3, but only because I prefer the look of the S. There is some debate as to whether you will get sentry mode and dashcam on an AP2.0 car ever. Also you will likely always have the slower MCU (center display media computer).

Great time to buy.

Last edited:
I prefer the look of the model s, but prefer the handling / driving of the model 3. They dont drive the same at all, to me. The model S feels heavy and bloated and "fast in a straight line" fast. The 3 feels nimble even though it is a heavy car as well.

I came from BMW land, and while I could have afforded a 5 series, I always got 3 or when it was introduced, 4 series. I say that to show my preference for smaller more nimble cars. For me, even if both cars were the same price, I would get the model 3. For that price difference, It would not even be a consideration for me.

But, OP "I" am not "you".. I wouldnt even be considering what you are considering, unless the model S was cheaper, which its not, and wont be.

Which one "moves" you? Does the thought of driving either one of them bring a big smile to your face? If so, focus on that one.

Reactions: Scott7 and dwalme
The Model S is too big for me which is why I never owned a Tesla until the Model 3 came out. If you are driving around with people in the back seat frequently the extra space is definitely nice. If it’s just you most of the time the 3 is going to be more fun to drive.

On a test track the faster speed on the S will be noticeable but in real world driving you are not going to be able to accelerate that fast all that often so I doubt it will make much difference to you.

ahagen- Does that model S have the extra cameras that Tesla started putting in later? My S is from 2016 and there's no sentry mode because there are no cameras. The tech is lacking, although the performance of that P100D might trump that for you.

Also, do consider the size, as OCR pointed out. The S drives smaller than it is but parking can be an issue. My garage is tight for the S, one reason I'm going with a 3 this summer. The size of the S is not insignificant- it is a large sport sedan- long and wide.. It's nice if you need to pile a bunch of people or luggage in it, but that's rare for me. YMMV

ahagen- Does that model S have the extra cameras that Tesla started putting in later? My S is from 2016 and there's no sentry mode because there are no cameras.

There were two refreshes for Model S in 2016. April 2016 was the cosmetic refresh, and October 2016 was introduction of autopilot HW2. There are some P100Ds with HW1 (no sentry mode ever because no side cameras) and some with HW2 (sentry mode, but doesn’t record to USB...yet). Sounds like OP found one of these HW2 P100Ds.

https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-versions-1-2-3-and-4

The used P100D for $80k is compelling especially if it’s private party, low mileage, and in excellent condition. I would be cautious of buying a Tesla CPO without seeing it in person. It could be great or it could be beaten up.

Another thing to consider is waiting til end of quarter (right now actually) and trying to snag an inventory 2019 P100D. Free non-transferable supercharging, and you get HW2.5 or HW3, MCU2, graphite interior trim, and a non-yellowing touchscreen. After incentives, it’s not that much more than the used $80K P100D (i.e. not like before when it was 50% or 100% more comparing a used $50k-$70k P85D/P90D and a new $130-$150k P100D). That said, the big hiccup would be lack of available inventory cars. But no harm stopping by your local Tesla store to see if they have anything available that isn’t listed on the website.

Last edited: