Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need that last push??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On wednesday I'm going to the Tesla centre to order a P85D.
It's not yet available here in Belgium so I'll ask here...
I'm still an icer but my car will go away to make room for the Tesla.
currently I drive a dodge challenger srt8. I've always loved American muscle cars
and I really enjoyed driving this car (still do)
I'm looking forward to the P85D but I'm a little bit afraid that it's going to be that
V8 roar I'm going to miss among other things.
The closer I come to my decision, the harder it seems it will be to part with my car.

Am I taking the right decision with the P85D? Is this car really as great as you guys
are making it sound? Will it make me forget all about my beloved Challenger?
C'mon guys, give me that last push over the edge...

In my first post on these forums almost 6 years ago, among other things I mentioned that I'd miss engine noise and wondered if there was some plug-in solution to make noise in a Tesla. So I understand your concern.

However, it turns out that noise is not really a good thing on its own. We like engine noise simply because we have a Pavlonian association between noise and power. It will take a few weeks, but your brain will learn new associations as you drive a Tesla.

Not only do I not miss engine noise, I now find loud cars annoying. If you really need to hear something loud, turn up your favorite music. You will be able to hear it better in the Tesla.

thanks for that last needed push guys!
When I order this week I'll probably have it by the end of june, july.
This means I'm going to take the ice on a road trip to Spain one last time this summer.
A great way to say goodbye to the petrol life and hello to the electric life .

On wednesday I'm going to the Tesla centre to order a P85D.
It's not yet available here in Belgium so I'll ask here...
I'm still an icer but my car will go away to make room for the Tesla.
currently I drive a dodge challenger srt8. I've always loved American muscle cars
and I really enjoyed driving this car (still do)
I'm looking forward to the P85D but I'm a little bit afraid that it's going to be that
V8 roar I'm going to miss among other things.
The closer I come to my decision, the harder it seems it will be to part with my car.

Am I taking the right decision with the P85D? Is this car really as great as you guys
are making it sound? Will it make me forget all about my beloved Challenger?
C'mon guys, give me that last push over the edge...
Got mine on Friday.
Here's my personal answer: there is no rational excuse to buy the P85D and not the S85D.
But the exhilarating feeling of driving the P85D makes that seem completely meaningless and silly.
The car is insane. In every single good meaning of the word. It will make you forget any car you've driven before. The quiet whistling sound as you accelerate is addictive - I often turn of the music simply because I want to hear the car (or not hear, depending on how you look at it).
So if this isn't a financial hardship, if the extra EUR 20k are something you can afford. By all means, yes, buy the P85D

My previous car was a pushrod V8 Pontiac G8 (Holden Commodore or Vauxhaul VXR in other parts of the world). That was American muscle in every way. I have a Model S 60 and I don't miss the G8 at all. Even my 60 feels faster than the G8 was, even though it probably isn't.

You will replace engine noise with the delighted screams of your passengers. Especially with the P85D.

For me, when I have no passengers, I love driving in near-silence. (Internet radio is enjoyable too though.) And when I do have passengers, I love being able to hear them, whether it's normal conversation or delighted screams.

deal :wink: is it ok if it's not from Marcolini but from me? (I'm a pastry and chocolate chef myself) Oh and there is no delivery, only pick up at our shop :cool:

You can't mention chocolate and then also mention no possibility of delivery=) Congrats on the car. I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited:
would that feeling rate the same as my "I got acces to all the Belgian chocolates I want whenever I want" kind of feeling I have right now? (sorry, I couldn't resist)
You are SO LUCKY that mere mortals can't give negative reputation anymore... that's cruel and unusual behavior there... and Tesla just called and will swap my car to fix some of my post-delivery issues... so I'll be in a regular S again soon... oh the injustice, the PAIN!

I LOVE the roar of a big American V8. But I have driven Japanese barn burners for a long time, totally customized. I thought I would miss the 4 banger trying to kill itself, the turbo going crazy, the cold air intake sucking in everything it possibly could and the hand made stainless exhaust that I currently have on my Acura. But now I find it to be so loud as to be annoying. I absolutely love the incredible silence of hitting the go pedal in my P85+ and the lovely lady going completely warp speed. I really don't miss the sound at all. And I really thought I would. It is such a different driving experience. It takes a little time to truly appreciate it.

But still, there is nothing finer than the roar from a big, burly V8, American, German, English or Italian. Or a 12, of course.