Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to be reassured! Having a few problems with my P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm currently having problems with the heating in my 2014 P85+ model S (pre ap model). There basically is no heating at all, just cold air flowing out of the vents (either the floor, front or dash vents). I have checked and range mode is off, heating on the main screen is set to HI on both sides with the fan blowing at 11. I have driven with this setting on for at least 20+ minutes.

I have called the tesla tech support and the service support will call me back to book an appointment. However, I wanted to have your opinions as to what could be causing the problem? I have noticed this morning while setting on the heating from the mobile app that the temperature sensor was indicating a rise in the temperature of the car after starting the heating but when I get into the car physically, it's just really cold air blowing out. Would it be possible that for some reason the compressor is producing hot air but that it is not physically reaching the cabin? I can't really know as it's still cold in the cabin.

Finally, I have had this car since February they have replaced the drive unit; the driver side door handle presents itself but is extremely hard to open (I have to pull on it multiple times before it opens) - the light on the door is not lighting up either. I'm also waiting on the service center for that as they had to order the part from the mothership as you guys call it :).

I'm starting to wonder if buying this car was a good idea: the warranty will expire by feb 2018 as I drive a lot and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just unlucky or if the eventual out of warranty costs will be astronomical. Maybe the best bet will be to change the car before the standard warranty ends? However the car will have a lot of mileage at that time and I fear that the price tesla will give me will be very low.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time/comments and suggestions,

P85+ were plagued with drive unit issues. Expect at least one more replacement unless you got a revision on your first. You're covered for a while on that one. Door handle failure is common, get it fixed under warranty if you're still in. Finally the ac going out was the result of some update, the fix is some sensor removal. The service center did a ton of them a few months ago.

I have nearly 100k miles and had all the same problems, I'm sure others will chime in. If anything, these earn you your tesla merit badge :)

Can't you get an extended warranty?

Unfortunately it is not possible to have an extended warranty on a CPO vehicle. Also, I was speaking with one of the advisors at the Montreal center lately and he told me that the extended warranties will be discontinued. Don"t know if that is true or if I/he understood my questions differently...

P85+ were plagued with drive unit issues. Expect at least one more replacement unless you got a revision on your first. You're covered for a while on that one. Door handle failure is common, get it fixed under warranty if you're still in. Finally the ac going out was the result of some update, the fix is some sensor removal. The service center did a ton of them a few months ago.

I have nearly 100k miles and had all the same problems, I'm sure others will chime in. If anything, these earn you your tesla merit badge :)

Glad to hear that the AC going out is related to a sensor problem more than a compressor needing to be replaced and that if it's the compressor then I might be part of the unlucky few. I don't mind paying for certain items part of the general maintenance of the vehicle but driving to the tesla service center is really a pain (traffic and everything) and I don't think I would be very pleased by being hit with a 5k or 10k bill right out of warranty.

I'm pretty sure the S uses a simple PTC heater for cabin heating - there were pictures in the rebuilding a flood thread. If it isn't working, it's most likely the module itself. Not sure how expensive that is, or how hard to replace.

I hear you on the jitters re future reliability. My personal experience (since Oct 2012 2 cars) has been that Tesla stands behind their product absolutely, sometimes above and beyond the warranty. I am unsure of exactly why your HVAC is doing what it's doing, but, I am sure Tesla will fix it.
I put 62k miles on my first MS before I swapped for for a new one with AP as I drive a lot like you. Even with the high miles the car retained significantly more value similar vehicles in its class which enabled me to transition from my S85 to a 70D (very similar range BTW) for no change in my monthly costs. So do,the math if your absolutely not comfortable outside,of the warranty.
Also, spend a bit of time on the forum at the various issues people have had and I think you'll find that your drive unit and door handle stuff are items that once replaced were resolved and that the HVAC is not common.

Good luck, I wouldn't lose to much sleep, you really do have a really good vehicle in a Tesla and more importantly, an OEM that will back its vehicle better than any OEM/Dealer I have EVER dealt with.

Cheers!

I hear you on the jitters re future reliability. My personal experience (since Oct 2012 2 cars) has been that Tesla stands behind their product absolutely, sometimes above and beyond the warranty. I am unsure of exactly why your HVAC is doing what it's doing, but, I am sure Tesla will fix it.
I put 62k miles on my first MS before I swapped for for a new one with AP as I drive a lot like you. Even with the high miles the car retained significantly more value similar vehicles in its class which enabled me to transition from my S85 to a 70D (very similar range BTW) for no change in my monthly costs. So do,the math if your absolutely not comfortable outside,of the warranty.
Also, spend a bit of time on the forum at the various issues people have had and I think you'll find that your drive unit and door handle stuff are items that once replaced were resolved and that the HVAC is not common.

Good luck, I wouldn't lose to much sleep, you really do have a really good vehicle in a Tesla and more importantly, an OEM that will back its vehicle better than any OEM/Dealer I have EVER dealt with.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I've been trying to figure out what would be the "expected" value of my model S in 1 year and a half (feb 2018) when the basic warranty expires. At that time, the car would have about 118 000 kilometers or about 73 750 miles (I bought the car used last Feburary and have the CPO 80k km warranty) but it's hard to tell since there aren't that many used 2014's with that mileage. When I bought the car this feburary, I pretty much got a rebate of around 30-35% from the new after incentives price so I'm figuring that I could potentially lose another 20% from the original price (maybe more?)? That would put me at 45% value from the original price which would be about the equivalent of my car loan. Then I'll have to decide if I simply exchange it or risk owning the car for a certain time out of warranty.

My P85+ was a late 2013 delivered in 14. I have had two issues (drivetrain which hummed from the get go and was replaced and a door handle that wouldn't extend). Other than that the problems have been software bugs from upgrades that are subsequently fixed in patches (like everyone else) it's reliable, it's fast and I'm keeping it a long time. I'll get the extended warranty this year as I have a $3500 credit to use.

If you haven't already reboot the screens and power down afterwards using the touchscreen option. Wait a bit and then get back in reboot again and try again.

That's all I can suggest other than waiting for your appt.

As for value, it's a car it's not an investment so enjoy it. The higher the price the more you will lose, it's as simple as that.