Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to change from cash to Tesla financing. Will this push me back in line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a basic Model 3 ST+ on Nov 16th for Costa Mesa delivery. No VIN yet but I received the availability email and blacked out 2 dates.

I'm set for a cash purchase but now I want to do Tesla Financing and submit a rate match from a 3rd party lender. I emailed my SA yesterday and he hasn't replied yet.

If I go in and change my payment option (I'm not even sure how to do that lol), does anyone know if that'll jeopardize my 2019 delivery? I have to do financing no matter what, but I'm trying to see if I should go through my SA's manager, do it myself, or do nothing and wait until I get an actual delivery date before changing payment method?

Helpful input appreciated. Jokes are acceptable too as long as they're funny.

act fast man. I doubt they could pull off a rate match in time, but couldn't hurt to try. Why just Tesla financing? If you must go through them I would go through the web chat and see if they can help you faster than your SA. When I used the web chat they got me a call back in 10min from the Vegas call center. Might be worth a shot. Other option is to show up in person at a Tesla showroom. If you want to rate match you'd also have to get approved by that third party lender and have their terms in writing to provide to Tesla before they'll consider the match, so you might want to get rolling on that right away too as it might take time for them to approve it. You may get a faster response from someone local like a federal credit union. I've had mine on standby for the last couple weeks so that they'll generate the loan docs same-day I get the MVPA. I'm betting the delivery folks will have little patience for financing snags if you're looking at a Dec 30 or 31st delivery so get as much as you can done before the car is ready. Good luck!

act fast man. I doubt they could pull off a rate match in time, but couldn't hurt to try. Why just Tesla financing? If you must go through them I would go through the web chat and see if they can help you faster than your SA. When I used the web chat they got me a call back in 10min from the Vegas call center. Might be worth a shot. Other option is to show up in person at a Tesla showroom. If you want to rate match you'd also have to get approved by that third party lender and have their terms in writing to provide to Tesla before they'll consider the match, so you might want to get rolling on that right away too as it might take time for them to approve it. You may get a faster response from someone local like a federal credit union. I've had mine on standby for the last couple weeks so that they'll generate the loan docs same-day I get the MVPA. I'm betting the delivery folks will have little patience for financing snags if you're looking at a Dec 30 or 31st delivery so get as much as you can done before the car is ready. Good luck!
I spoke with EECU (found through the Financing thread) and am waiting for a call back from the underwriter. From that thread it looks like I'd need to also be approved through Tesla before I can submit the rate match. When I placed the order I figured I could work all this stuff out simply through my account but it doesn't seem that way now.

I spoke with EECU (found through the Financing thread) and am waiting for a call back from the underwriter. From that thread it looks like I'd need to also be approved through Tesla before I can submit the rate match. When I placed the order I figured I could work all this stuff out simply through my account but it doesn't seem that way now.
Ordered a basic Model 3 ST+ on Nov 16th for Costa Mesa delivery. No VIN yet but I received the availability email and blacked out 2 dates.

I'm set for a cash purchase but now I want to do Tesla Financing and submit a rate match from a 3rd party lender. I emailed my SA yesterday and he hasn't replied yet.

If I go in and change my payment option (I'm not even sure how to do that lol), does anyone know if that'll jeopardize my 2019 delivery? I have to do financing no matter what, but I'm trying to see if I should go through my SA's manager, do it myself, or do nothing and wait until I get an actual delivery date before changing payment method?

"Cash" to Tesla just means one of their lenders isn't providing the financing, not that you are raiding your savings.

If you need financing, you'll probably get a better rate from your Credit Union.

Nevermind I found the chat, I was on the tesla main website chat tool instead of my account's chat tool. I'll go through them to try and get setup for financing instead of cash since I'm not too confident in my SAs. They seem only to be interested in selling me solar at this point.

"Cash" to Tesla just means one of their lenders isn't providing the financing, not that you are raiding your savings.

If you need financing, you'll probably get a better rate from your Credit Union.
Wasn't there an option for paying via 3rd party financing? I'm concerned that if I stick with cash they won't provide me the instructions for getting a loan elsewhere. I'm also concerned that they'll give me a Christmas or weekend delivery when I can't get a loan processed through my credit union since they're closed.

Thanks for your input btw.

Let's see, you are asking to get Tesla to collect information and pass it to the bank. The bank to approve you, including any additional investigations that they may have to do, respond to Tesla, then you submit the rate match and Tesla sends it to the bank for approval and finally get approved.
How many days are left in the year, remember that banks aren't open on the weekend and Christmas?

Sounds like something that should have been decided in November.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ron Johnson
Wasn't there an option for paying via 3rd party financing? I'm concerned that if I stick with cash they won't provide me the instructions for getting a loan elsewhere. I'm also concerned that they'll give me a Christmas or weekend delivery when I can't get a loan processed through my credit union since they're closed.

Thanks for your input btw.

That's generally what "cash" means to Tesla.

I used my Credit Union and they gave me a bank check, made out to Tesla, to take to the delivery center. So I was walking around with two bank checks for around $50K for a couple of days before picking up the car.
(The other check was our down-payment)

Once we had the VIN from Tesla and the sales invoice, the Credit Union cut the check the next day.

That's generally what "cash" means to Tesla.

I used my Credit Union and they gave me a bank check, made out to Tesla, to take to the delivery center. So I was walking around with two bank checks for around $50K for a couple of days before picking up the car.
(The other check was our down-payment)

Once we had the VIN from Tesla and the sales invoice, the Credit Union cut the check the next day.
Alright cool, I should be alright then. Thanks again for your helpful comment.

Not sure if my situation will help u but I changed my payment from 3rd party to Tesla finance last minute on Sunday. My delivery day was Monday 2pm. I emailed Tesla autofinance on Monday morning, they matched me with a loan right away. I got my car in the afternoon (Marina del Rey). I guess u can just wait til you get a VIN and delivery day and then change your payment method to Tesla finance if you are worried it will mess up your delivery day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ron Johnson
Not sure if my situation will help u but I changed my payment from 3rd party to Tesla finance last minute on Sunday. My delivery day was Monday 2pm. I emailed Tesla autofinance on Monday morning, they matched me with a loan right away. I got my car in the afternoon (Marina del Rey). I guess u can just wait til you get a VIN and delivery day and then change your payment method to Tesla finance if you are worried it will mess up your delivery day.

did they match the third part rate ?

Thank you