Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to know about your rattles....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LRAWD took delivery late June 2019.

Here's what I have(had)

Rattle from front driver side dash near vin plate (partially mitigated), happens when dash is hot from direct sunlight. Still recurs after SC "fixed" the problem, but now requires higher internal cabin temperature.

Wheelwell "flutter" - driver side fixed, passenger side still pending.

The rest are still pending:

Creaks from front passenger side door. Turns out the panel is contacting the dash when the door is closed - fitment issue. I can feel an indentation on the door panel where it compresses against the dash.

Creaks everywhere when accelerating / going over bumps / decelerating - suspect loose chassis bolts.

Clunking / popping when accelerating decelerating - suspect loose axle nut / washer. Developed several days after purchasing acceleration boost.

Mysterious rattle from bottom of rear passenger door / passenger seatbelt area. Insulated all rear seat latches with tape, removed the side cushion and felt taped all possible moving parts / wires / contact points. Still unresolved.

Have an appointment in 2 weeks to address these issues... unfortunately I drive a lot and at 15k miles Tesla plans to charge me a $195 diagnostic fee for the noise, which is absurd if the noise is due to loose suspension, chassis bolts, or ill-fitting clips.

So far I'm liking everything about the car except the interior noise issue and the fact that I have to justify to the SC in getting these issues addressed. The amount of push-back is insane - it's not like anyone likes to spend their private time making *sugar* up to take their car in to the shop.

Reactions: tvad
quick update - i reported excessive rattles coming from my driver's side door. could not replicate at dealer, but because I was having my driver's side mirror motor replaced, they agreed to replace some clips within the door. for now, the rattles seem to have diminished.

I had a rattle from the driver's side a pillar and front corner of dash near vin plate. Also had creaking from rear pass side and knocking from front suspension.

Car is in service now having all the suspension retorqued and fixing the a pillar/dash rattle

Just took delivery of LR AWD on the 27th...noticed loud rattle near passenger front door after I drove away and turned down radio. Openned and closed door, but rattle continued. Doubled back and was fortunate to have a very nice tech go for a short drive with me- No rattle with him in car, or since (200+ miles).

Car seems great now!

My rattle is the HVAC vent directional panels on the driver's side.

Our HVAC vent panel is also now excessively loud. It isnt rattling - it is crazy loud creaking that would embarrass anybody driving the vehicle showing it off. I can reproduce it by putting pressure on the dash vent plastic area.

Today, my 12v battery failed without warning, and Tesla replaced it after being towed due to no electrical systems working. I asked them about the loud creaking noises, and they said it would be $155 for them to insulate and resolve it. I wasnt a fan of that response for such a new car and crazy loud constant creak over every bump and turn.

Hope this helps someone: for over a year I had an intermittent (but fairly regular) rattle which I thought was coming from the drivers side dash near the windshield, perhaps even in the corner near the A pillar.

I recently discovered it to be the top plastic piece covering the steering column (behind the wheel). A gentle nudge to firm it up makes it go away if/when it comes back!

• Helpful
Reactions: Magnets!
I have a creaking/ticking noise from the passenger side C pillar. Can’t figure out how to pop off that vertical black plastic piece at the back of the rear window to take a look underneath. I can reproduce the noise by nudging that trim piece back and forth; the driver side one is fine. Will bring it up to service next time I have to go in for something; I think they’ve done something to the C pillar clips twice already.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlexMasters
I had a rattle from the driver's side a pillar and front corner of dash near vin plate. Also had creaking from rear pass side and knocking from front suspension.

Car is in service now having all the suspension retorqued and fixing the a pillar/dash rattle

*Update* service replaced the front driver's sway bar link, that got rid of the knocking. They ordered a new dashboard to fix the front corner rattle. No remedy on the creaking from the rear pass side yet.

Has anyone had a buzzing from the grill on the front door speakers? My passenger side door, just lightly touching the speaker grill gets rid of it.

Yep. The grilles are secured to the door by pushing plastic "posts" on the grille through holes in the door panel, then melting and smushing the post, sort of like a plastic rivet. In my case, there was a little bit of play in a couple of the rivets, put some super glue in the gap between the smushed head and door panel to keep it from rattling.

Car likes to keep me on my toes too. Seems like every time I spend a few hours chasing rattles and fixing them, I get to enjoy the silence for a few days, then a new batch of rattles pops up. Same happened with speaker grille again....ended up inserting a piece of foam into the lower right corner (the pointy corner) between the grille and door panel. Seems to have quieted rattle 2.0, for now anyway.

Reactions: G26okie
Yep. The grilles are secured to the door by pushing plastic "posts" on the grille through holes in the door panel, then melting and smushing the post, sort of like a plastic rivet. In my case, there was a little bit of play in a couple of the rivets, put some super glue in the gap between the smushed head and door panel to keep it from rattling.

Car likes to keep me on my toes too. Seems like every time I spend a few hours chasing rattles and fixing them, I get to enjoy the silence for a few days, then a new batch of rattles pops up. Same happened with speaker grille again....ended up inserting a piece of foam into the lower right corner (the pointy corner) between the grille and door panel. Seems to have quieted rattle 2.0, for now anyway.

Was this something you needed to remove the door panel to fix?

Our HVAC vent panel is also now excessively loud. It isnt rattling - it is crazy loud creaking that would embarrass anybody driving the vehicle showing it off. I can reproduce it by putting pressure on the dash vent plastic area.

Today, my 12v battery failed without warning, and Tesla replaced it after being towed due to no electrical systems working. I asked them about the loud creaking noises, and they said it would be $155 for them to insulate and resolve it. I wasnt a fan of that response for such a new car and crazy loud constant creak over every bump and turn.

Is the car out of warranty or are they saying this issue is "cosmetic"?

Tesla recently told me that they would be charging me a diagnostic fee to listed for the rattles and determine if they are due to a defect. If they are, they would be fixed and the fee wouldn't be charged.

If they couldn't find or they were a "defect" then I would be. According to the warranty language creaks are not covered. What annoys me is that I have a terrible one which I think is tied to a piece under the screen and they didn't fix it last time.

Update:
AWD non-P picked up in September of 2018. Have almost 25k miles on the odometer. Rear driver side seat belt tensioner was "padded" under warranty roughly a year ago when the car went in for some service issues. That rattle has redeveloped. Now have an additional, new rattle, coming from the front passenger side. Could be in the dash, the door, or the A-pillar. Its quite loud. May just take everything apart myself, since Tesla seems to be hesitant to honor their warranty without wanting to charge customers to implement it.

A few months ago I had a wicked rattle in my passenger seat. Was a loose clip, which they fixed very quickly in about 15 minutes. Today I went in and had them fix a rattle in my front, driver's side wheel well. The plastic liner was rattling against the metal, which was driving me insane. Along with my tire rotation it took them about an hour in total.

I have a small rattle in the interior of the car, on the driver's side, which I cannot track down though. It is a faint metal on metal sound, almost like a zipper pull tapping on a zipper. I can't figure out if it is coming the the driver's seat, or the one of the two driver's side doors, or elsewhere. I can't seem to replicate it like I could with the other two. Anyone have a similar "rattle," and if so what was it if you found the cause?

Reactions: DDotJ