Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to know about your rattles....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the warranty language creaks are not covered. What annoys me is that I have a terrible one which I think is tied to a piece under the screen and they didn't fix it last time.

I had one of these too. Turned out to be the dash pad (with the white or wood trim strip in it) rubbing against the passenger side of the screen mount. There was a small piece of paint or whatever they finish the mount with rubbed off that I could see after removing the dash pad. Put a piece of felt tape there and it's gone.

Have you tried grabbing the top left corner of the screen when you hear the creaking? When I did that prior to fixing it, the creaking would stop.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I had one of these too. Turned out to be the dash pad (with the white or wood trim strip in it) rubbing against the passenger side of the screen mount. There was a small piece of paint or whatever they finish the mount with rubbed off that I could see after removing the dash pad. Put a piece of felt tape there and it's gone.

Have you tried grabbing the top left corner of the screen when you hear the creaking? When I did that prior to fixing it, the creaking would stop.

Interesting. I'll have to look at that tomorrow or Sat.

I have grabbed the screen and it stops, so sounds like the same issue. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: destructure00
Interesting. I'll have to look at that tomorrow or Sat.

I have grabbed the screen and it stops, so sounds like the same issue. Thanks for the tip!
No prob. It was buried back in here on mine, couldn't see it without removing dash pad.

IMG_20200102_173909~2.jpg

Here's a video someone made with fixes for some (common?) rattles. I had the wheel well "flutter" and a rattle on the right front door speaker grill, both fixed with thin weather stripping similar as in the video. I also used the same stripping to quiet down a rattle of the left rear seat back (which was a bit loose and rattling against the latch mechanism).

Reactions: TesSpartan
No prob. It was buried back in here on mine, couldn't see it without removing dash pad.

View attachment 495789
I had this exact issue. Took an hour long drive along with a mobile tech to find this. They had put felt tap under the dash, front speaker grill and steering wheel housing without it resolving the issue before discovering the trim that was rubbing against the back of the screen mount. It’s so hard to identify where exactly the sound is coming from!

I had this exact issue. Took an hour long drive along with a mobile tech to find this. They had put felt tap under the dash, front speaker grill and steering wheel housing without it resolving the issue before discovering the trim that was rubbing against the back of the screen mount. It’s so hard to identify where exactly the sound is coming from!

Agree, I just got lucky on a road trip and happened to grab the screen. Had 3 more hours after that to press on different areas to narrow it down. Then once I had the pad off it was obvious due to finish rubbing off.

I had the SC fix my steering wheel squeaks. Just needed a bit of lube. Was a quick process as I understand it.

I brought mine in too with a squeak. The techs lubed it but did not fully eliminate - it still squeaks around the 12 o'clock position. I was at Buena Park - would not recommend this location - I would not use them ever again even though they are the closest to me. Returned within an hour of picking up the car and was told that the squeak level is normal. Granted, the ambient noise level is high at the SC which makes the squeak sound relatively minor, but isn't the key point here that it shouldn't squeak at all? Feels like they just wanted me to go away when I returned.

I have a small rattle in the interior of the car, on the driver's side, which I cannot track down though. It is a faint metal on metal sound, almost like a zipper pull tapping on a zipper. I can't figure out if it is coming the the driver's seat, or the one of the two driver's side doors, or elsewhere. I can't seem to replicate it like I could with the other two. Anyone have a similar "rattle," and if so what was it if you found the cause?
I'm experiencing a similar rattle for months that's uber annoying and still a work in progress. Fluttering-type rattle occurring only at speeds over 45mph. I removed the B-pillar and drove around attempting to pinpoint. It's coming from the upper portion near the roof maybe behind the steel B-pillar structure. I even stuck a flat head in the small hole to see if anything was loose where you cannot see. Nothing!

I did remove the lower plastic from the exterior B-pillar and added foam tape. Upon doing that I checked tightness on the bolts holding the under trim - they were a tad loose. It was clicking around a bit so I figured why not to eliminate it as a source.
IMG_2544.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG

I'm experiencing a similar rattle for months that's uber annoying and still a work in progress. Fluttering-type rattle occurring only at speeds over 45mph. I removed the B-pillar and drove around attempting to pinpoint. It's coming from the upper portion near the roof maybe behind the steel B-pillar structure. I even stuck a flat head in the small hole to see if anything was loose where you cannot see. Nothing!

I did remove the lower plastic from the exterior B-pillar and added foam tape. Upon doing that I checked tightness on the bolts holding the under trim - they were a tad loose. It was clicking around a bit so I figured why not to eliminate it as a source.
View attachment 564497 View attachment 564498
I'd put money on this is your front fender liners tapping against your fenders. Go tap around the edge near where the liners touch the inner fenders.

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR82XS
B-pillar rattle remedy:

I removed the B-pillar covers and tried lots of things to get rid of the rattle. Nothing helped until I put business cards into the slot between the pillar and the roof panel and this fixed the rattle on both sides - 100%!!!!

Now I need suggestions on what can be put there and not look so silly.View attachment 600517
This guy means...business