Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I never have to touch the wheel in NoA or FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I first picked up my car, August 2020, the steering wheel was at a pretty obvious angle while the car was driving straight. Tesla service performed an alignment and that fixed it, but since that alignment I’ve never had to touch the steering wheel while in NoA, and the same with fsd beta. I can confidently say that I can drive through city traffic for miles and drive hours on the highway without a single hand prompt. When the car changes lanes, there is a brief blue flash then the car changes lane without me touching the wheel.
I’ve reported it to service multiple times and across 3 different locations, but the service appointment gets canceled and I’m told I need to read the manual…”the car knows when you are paying attention and only alerts for hand use when you are not”.
My concern is that with Tesla now being able to detect cheat devices, they will think I have one installed and kick me out of beta and maybe risk my fsd package.
Should I waste more of my time trying to get service to take my concern seriously? Or should I be happy I have a unicorn with a steering issue that will never need wheel torque?

So when I first picked up my car, August 2020, the steering wheel was at a pretty obvious angle while the car was driving straight. Tesla service performed an alignment and that fixed it, but since that alignment I’ve never had to touch the steering wheel while in NoA, and the same with fsd beta. I can confidently say that I can drive through city traffic for miles and drive hours on the highway without a single hand prompt. When the car changes lanes, there is a brief blue flash then the car changes lane without me touching the wheel.
I’ve reported it to service multiple times and across 3 different locations, but the service appointment gets canceled and I’m told I need to read the manual…”the car knows when you are paying attention and only alerts for hand use when you are not”.
My concern is that with Tesla now being able to detect cheat devices, they will think I have one installed and kick me out of beta and maybe risk my fsd package.
Should I waste more of my time trying to get service to take my concern seriously? Or should I be happy I have a unicorn with a steering issue that will never need wheel torque?
Our P3D did exactly the same thing after an alignment at the SC.

I would say, don’t question it.

I wonder what is the Steering Offset on your car. Mind checking via the in-car Service Mode?

Attachments

• 20221125_190304.jpg
    20221125_190304.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 267
  • 20221125_190416.jpg
    20221125_190416.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 20221125_190433.jpg
    20221125_190433.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yes! They replaced the fsd computer, infotainment computer, did an alignment, and replaced the steering wheel sensor. None of that fixed it. They eventually replaced the entire steering rack and that solved it. They said that there was a lot of wear on the steering rack which caused the problem. That was strange to hear, since it had been doing this since I drove the car off the lot…

Keep in mind that they wouldn’t believe me and I had to insist multiple times that they do a drive along. Otherwise they kept saying that I “should always have hands on the wheel when autopilot is active”. None of the techs had yet to see anything like it. They even called my car a unicorn since I never needed to touch the wheel.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and Dewg