TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I never should have entered my first Tesla Thread...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bareyb, Sep 6, 2013.

1. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#1 bareyb, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    On another forum I frequent, some posters started talking about this new Electric Car... I can't believe what happened next... Witness my journey from having no intention of buying a new car to not being able to drop a deposit fast enough... :D

Attached Files:

2. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

One of us... One of us... :D

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Here's you and here's the Kool Aid and you've drank my friend! Nearly the exact car I have too! Cheers! :)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I cried a little at the end....

Great Post

5. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

nice choice, but i would give up any extra for the 85kWh batterie (which includes access to SC too), because you will start to drive more and more.

6. Argelius

Argelius Member

Welcome to the club. I went from "no way"... to "let's just go take a look for fun"... to deposit. In less than a week...

7. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

They really should limit access to Model S to those with a more developed sense of self control. I'm not speaking about the OP but about myself. I followed a similar path from "I really do not need this but I'll go look" to "I just gotta have this thing".

You just have to love Tesla for producing a product like MS.

Congrats and the warmest welcome to the club. Please post your collection experience (pics would be nice as well :) )

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Ahh, the walk down memory lane. The story only gets better after delivery, bareyb.

Though this progression does make me question why they eliminated the 40kWh battery price point (not why they eliminated the battery itself, just the $50K entry point). I think a vast number of people would see the 50K price (or 52.5, or 60, depending on which number you consider), and say "that's not so bad, let me look into this"...and we all know where that leads (see OP above). But at an entry point of 70K (or 62.5 or 60) may cut off the influx of people who otherwise wouldn't even consider a Model S. And this is regardless of whether or not you can afford 50K, 70K or 100K for a car...I am just talking about the psychology of the initial sticker shock, and whether you pursue the initial idea. I would think keeping the 40kWh price around would have only generated more sales in the long run, and probably more 10K upgrades to full 60kWh power. Why get rid of it, if it didn't cost anything but the software limiter feature support?

9. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

Congrat @bareyb! You will love the car and will find all sorts of excuses to make short and long trips here and there :smile:

10. Lump

Lump Active Member

Congrats!

I would add the parking sensors for only $500.

11. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Super charging is a must, but the beauty is you can unlock it later as you feel the need

12. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Thanks for the welcome! I'm having a lot of fun with this. That two week grace period they give you is dangerous... I've already added about $5k worth of features... :D

My wife and I are going to go out and look at both colors again. And the performance seat option too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Maybe one of each? :)

Thanks for sharing!

14. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

bareyb,
    My + has the "performance" seats while my wife's has the all leather standard leather seats. I think I prefer the all leather seats as I am not sure how that alcantara is going to last on a wear surface and I really do not think the inserts really add anything.

15. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Yes, being in the bay area, supercharging is a must and allows you to put all that storage space to use and take road trips to Tahoe and LA. I've done it in my 60.
    But now that the price difference to 85kWh is only $8k ($7 if you count the value of the tires), then you might as well get the big battery. :smile:

16. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

Congrats and welcome to the club!!! Had a similar type of experience where I had lurked on the forums for a while and then decided to print out some configurations. The 'boss' said no way when I put a put them out on the dinner table but then convinced her to go look at one in person at the store. She liked the looks and that it was much larger than she expected so had more interest and even did some of her own configurations. The clincher was the test drive I scheduled for her when she was in Denver and was surprised to get a call from her after the drive where she wanted to put the deposit down right there at the store. The rest is history/future (Model X res)!

17. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Give the OP a break! He'll end up with a fully loaded P85+, if you guys have anything to say about it. :biggrin:

18. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

My wife is being the "bad influence" today. We just got back from the dealer and she "really thinks it would be a mistake not to get the 85". So I guess I have to upgrade to the 85. You know. to keep the little lady happy. :D :D :D

19. JPP

JPP Active Member

...ask lolachampcar about self control...he's got 2 Ses now (and has owned 3)...might be a record...:)

20. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Hell the way it's going, I'm gonna end up with a loaded one. Which raises the question... Can you transform a standard S85 to a "P" 85 after the fact or do you have to order it that way from the factory?