TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I now have a new pet peeve since getting Autopilot

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Falkirk, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

It happens more often than I'd like, I'm on EAP in the city and coming to a light thinking to myself no problem there's a car in front and sure enough, the car moves out of the lane! Even with 2 cars in front of me and had it where they both moved out of the way and I'm like man I actually have to press the brakes now! ha

Happy Friday!

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Need

Need Active Member

Or you could practice the timing to use the stalk to disable AP at the right time so the regen brake would stop the car at the light! :p

• Like x 1
  3. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

I like how you think! That's a great feature on electrics, I haven't driven any other make but it sounds like the new Leaf really could fully stop with the one pedal driving feature. Would be cool to add that to Tesla's one day and go all in on the one pedal!

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

I find that AP isn't quite there yet for city driving. It stops too abruptly when coming up to a car stopped at a light, and it lags too long before moving when the light changes and the car moves. And of course you have to take over if there's no car ahead of you at a light or stop sign. If I use it at all in the city, it's just for the steady-state driving between lights. But on the highway, man oh man, the thing shines!

• Like x 4
  5. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Agreed. Some people swear by it during their commute, but to me there are way too many variables in traffic to feel confident enough in it.

6. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

I have that all the time and wonder if people think Tesla drivers are really that slow to react or what haha. I'm always on the pedal to get it moving but agreed it's a full-time job at this point in the city, the highway is relaxing and enjoyable. Can't wait to see what's coming up next.

7. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

EAP is not currently intended for driving on regular streets, only for highways and such.

There's plenty of situations I can't use it on the highway even (HOV entrances and exits where one lane becomes two, it wants to drive down the middle and crash into the pylons), or have to break out of it (sometimes it refuses to change lanes for no clear reason, so I must cancel out of EAP and change lane manually)

8. daniel

daniel Active Member

You can just turn the wheel to steer into the lane you want. Turning the wheel cancels AP but keeps TACC functioning. I find this happens most often when there's a passing lane. If the marked lane becomes the passing lane, I have to steer into the slow lane and then re-engage AP, which is easy-peasy. If the marked lane becomes the slow lane, the car will go into it by itself.

Its inability to choose which lane in the absence of clear lane lines is one more reason it's not FSD. And we're supposed to be alert and ready to take over at all times.

9. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

The opposite behavior vs non EAP! When driving yourself you love it when people clear out of your way.

• Funny x 1
  10. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

Yeah, but with a lane divergence every 2 miles or so I find it less of a hassle to just stay in TACC rather than keep having to force it out of EAP into TACC. Either that, or EAP in the next lane over (which is what I usually do unless the other lanes are being dog slow)

11. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

You're totally right! I used to always do that, forgot about that so quickly.