Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I opened my car without the key...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on a vacation site and today I let the car at the destination charger at 300m from the lodge. After 2h30 I went back with the kids, and pressed a door handle which raised, and let me open the car. I locked the first kid in its seat, closed it’s door, and then, impossible to open any door, the car was locked. Looked for the key in my pocket, damn, no key. Fortunately i had my phone and could unlock and drive the car with the app. Back to the lodge, the key was in my drawer...
So, the car let me open a door, 300m from the key, 2h30 after having left the car.
Anyone experienced this???

• Informative
Reactions: David29
That’s a possible explanation for the skeptical.

However:
If a door is not properly closed, the handles do not retract AFAIK.

The only possible suspect door is the rear left (where I seated the kid), because the car locked just after I closed it. When I initially went to the charger alone in the car, and it didn’t signal poorly closed doors. I did not touch that particular door when leaving.

What I may have done is forgetting to manually lock with the fob the first time, I just walked away. And for whatever reason, the car did not lock. 99.99% sure this is not a poorly closed door issue.

Is automatic locking when fob walking away handled by the MCU? My MCU is so stupidly random these days I suspect it. For instance, the other day, I had to reboot before being able to open windows.

Interesting theory. I'm honestly not sure what part of the car handles the lock/unlock but MCU is a ikely suspect. For what it's worth (and obviously doesn't address what happened), I travel about 3 weeks a month and my car spends a lot of time parked in an airport garage. When I walk away and to the terminal, I always look in the app to see if the car is locked (just for my piece of mind).

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
I've also discovered that my walk away lock switch gets turned off randomly sometimes. I suspect it happens during an update. Its not always obvious that the car is unlocked, especially since the handles will retract with the car unlocked. But fortunately most Tesla-less people don't know how to work the handles, and that provides some small measure of security.

You drove 300 mi from your key and didn’t see a single “key not inside” message on the dash?

If the key is not nearby when you go to start the car, it will not start.

If the key is nearby when you start but you later drive away from the key, you’ll get a message on the dash.

You didn’t get any indication of either of these messages?