Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after 6 years with my Model S, I decided it was time to get a new car.
Did a 24hr test drive of the refreshed MS and it was very nice. While it was 20x nicer than my 2016.5 MS, it looks basically the same as my car. Yeah the inside is nice but the look of the car just doesn't excite me anymore since I've been looking at it for so long. I test drove a Taycan and it was a world of difference. The build quality, fit and finish, way it drove, and look of the car just did it for me. All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D). It is supposed to be delivered around June and I will post pics and more updates when it comes. Cost for a nicely optioned RWD minus the tax credit comes out a bit less than Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm kind of on the fence about this as well. Have a LR MS on order to replace my 2015 P85D, but tempted by the Taycan Cross Turismo for the same things you mentioned.

How were you able to get a test drive of the new MS, by the way? My SA keeps telling me that no MS test drives are available / allowed.

I'm kind of on the fence about this as well. Have a LR MS on order to replace my 2015 P85D, but tempted by the Taycan Cross Turismo for the same things you mentioned.

How were you able to get a test drive of the new MS, by the way? My SA keeps telling me that no MS test drives are available / allowed.
CarMax does 24 hour test drives and my local CarMax had a plaid.

Taycan is a pretty nice package, and it its understandable that people would cross shop them with Tesla.

Believe it compares more with a SUV like the Model X, but the Model S can hold it's own as it is a 4 door hatchback with loads of room inside to carry people and cargo.

Biggest issue with many will be that the Taycan has limited charging access for long distance road trips. Makes it more of a city car for many.

Taycan still has Federal Tax Credits that can make it a better $ decision for the wealthy.

Some get hung up on the Model S still having the same basic body style for a long time. While it still looks great on the road, I can understand the desire to get something that looks new (but not necessairly better).

Watching Sandy Monro tear down of the new Model S Plaid points out just how many significant changes there are under the skin. The advances in suspension, packaging, battery, charging, heat pump and octovalve technology really set the car apart from the competition.

All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D).

Not to mention the Porsche will actually achieve or exceed those 280 miles in normal real world conditions. No Tesla is getting anywhere close to 400 miles in reality.

Taycan is a pretty nice package, and it its understandable that people would cross shop them with Tesla.

Believe it compares more with a SUV like the Model X, but the Model S can hold it's own as it is a 4 door hatchback with loads of room inside to carry people and cargo.

Biggest issue with many will be that the Taycan has limited charging access for long distance road trips. Makes it more of a city car for many.

Taycan still has Federal Tax Credits that can make it a better $ decision for the wealthy.

Some get hung up on the Model S still having the same basic body style for a long time. While it still looks great on the road, I can understand the desire to get something that looks new (but not necessairly better).

Watching Sandy Monro tear down of the new Model S Plaid points out just how many significant changes there are under the skin. The advances in suspension, packaging, battery, charging, heat pump and octovalve technology really set the car apart from the competition.
Taycan (sedan) does not compare with an SUV like the Model X. Where did you get that idea from?! 😂 Taycan interior is more similar to that of a Model 3, but with less legroom (shockingly). And the trunk is more Model 3-like (really small opening).

The driving feel of the Taycan (bearing in mind I haven't tested Track Mode on the S Plaid yet) is on another level (power delivery aside). The Model S can't compare in terms of handling dynamics - and fit/finish of course.

A Taycan compares more with an SUV like a Model X?

On what planet exactly does a 4 door sedan the size of a Model 3 compare to a Model X??

Well after 6 years with my Model S, I decided it was time to get a new car.
Did a 24hr test drive of the refreshed MS and it was very nice. While it was 20x nicer than my 2016.5 MS, it looks basically the same as my car. Yeah the inside is nice but the look of the car just doesn't excite me anymore since I've been looking at it for so long. I test drove a Taycan and it was a world of difference. The build quality, fit and finish, way it drove, and look of the car just did it for me. All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D). It is supposed to be delivered around June and I will post pics and more updates when it comes. Cost for a nicely optioned RWD minus the tax credit comes out a bit less than Tesla.
Looking forward to your pics!!

I’m actually enjoying a Taycan 4S in my driveway and a 2018 Model S 100D. The Tesla used to be my go to car but it hasn’t seen a single mile put on in the last 45 days since I’ve taken in the Taycan.

There were a few initial hiccups with the Taycan which was quickly fixed with a software push from Porsche headquarters (was able to speak to a real person on phone - 😱). The car has been flawless and amazing to drive. It may be slower on paper but such a blast to drive.

The 2018 model S feels like a Corolla or a Camry at this point. Still looks brand new but the harsh suspension, rattles, road noise, constant yellowing of DRL needing replacements and horrible customer service have soured my taste. The car is going to Carmax this week.

You will love the Taycan. I hope Tesla build quality improves and maybe I’ll be back once they figure out a 360 camera situation and a proper steering.

I’m actually enjoying a Taycan 4S in my driveway and a 2018 Model S 100D. The Tesla used to be my go to car but it hasn’t seen a single mile put on in the last 45 days since I’ve taken in the Taycan.

There were a few initial hiccups with the Taycan which was quickly fixed with a software push from Porsche headquarters (was able to speak to a real person on phone - 😱). The car has been flawless and amazing to drive. It may be slower on paper but such a blast to drive.

The 2018 model S feels like a Corolla or a Camry at this point. Still looks brand new but the harsh suspension, rattles, road noise, constant yellowing of DRL needing replacements and horrible customer service have soured my taste. The car is going to Carmax this week.

You will love the Taycan. I hope Tesla build quality improves and maybe I’ll be back once they figure out a 360 camera situation and a proper steering.
360 degree missing is crazy on a car as expensive as these Teslas. That said the Taycan rear camera quality is pretty dreadful. 😂

I’m strongly considering getting either the Taycan GTS or 4S over the Plaid this December. The Plaid has a lot of cargo space and the hatchback makes it so versatile. Also I go on a lot of road trips so the Supercharger network is a major advantage to me. But I plan to keep my Model 3 Performance which IMO has good enough cargo space. So the Taycan might be my daily driver while the M3P will be for road trips or car camping.

I would have been more likely to get a Taycan if the ordering process wasn't so confusing. All the options quickly make the car balloon in price, and the whole process was quite confusing to me. I do love the look, especially the headlights.

I would have been more likely to get a Taycan if the ordering process wasn't so confusing. All the options quickly make the car balloon in price, and the whole process was quite confusing to me. I do love the look, especially the headlights.

I think the Taycan options and packages are fairly well explained on the site but yes, adding a lot of options can push the price up fairly quickly. Some people like to be able to factory "customize" their car as much as possible while others prefer limited choices for simplicity even if it means taking things they may not want. Tesla used to offer many more options but have gone with more of a streamlined, one size fits all type approach in recent years.

Neither is necessary right or wrong but "streamlined" probably works best for Tesla since there tends to be less interaction between buyer and seller and therefore less of an opportunity to be able to discuss/explain options and features. Fewer possible configurations also helps make the production process easier and cheaper.

You only live once and there is no need to pledge allegiance to one car brand versus the other.

I personally like the Taycan right now and will be driving it for the next few years to come. The plad and newer models of Tesla definitely have build quality upgrades when compared to my model S from 2018 but it is still not enough of a differentiating factors to put in such a large chunk of money for a silly 0-60 time.

If anything else from Tesla looks better in the next few years, I may switch over. There are so many new choices now including the EQS and probably more to come.

Enjoy your ride and have fun