Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you that a car built for track use will handle better than Model S and Taycan. EV's are simply very heavy (as you say, Titanic but mostly due to weight rather than size). For me, Model S or Taycan is a compromise, a car which I can take to the track once or twice a year, drive spiritedly when road conditions allow, commute daily, haul a family to a restaurant from time to time, bring a large cart of stuff from a store every week, and occasionally bring some larger items from a home improvement store. Between the two, Model S with sport+ suspension and Taycan with PDCC and rear wheel steering, the Taycan handles better, both at speed and in the mall parking lot.

No real difference in handling between in Taycan and MS - as in would never be able to get away from a MS in any circumstance. 😂 would you really track a Taycan - it’s like people bringing their SUVs to track these days. It’s just silly.

Happy for you that you like your compromise - just too much given way for no benefit for me.

No real difference in handling between in Taycan and MS - as in would never be able to get away from a MS in any circumstance. 😂 would you really track a Taycan - it’s like people bringing their SUVs to track these days. It’s just silly.

Happy for you that you like your compromise - just too much given way for no benefit for me.
I do tend to agree. So few people are tracking these cars anyway. I’m glad we have choices, though. If Porsche weren’t so expensive and had made some different design/practicality decisions, I could see myself owning one maybe.

Reactions: Pricedm and 12Pack

When I was young and single, I would keep 2 cars, like a 911 and an SUV. 911 was also every day and track car, SUV was for shipping and hauling groups of people. Times change, as do our requirements. Now I just keep one car. As for tracking an EV, it's a fun activity. I bet tracking an actual SUV can be fun too. If your goal going to a track is to beat non-category specific records (i.e. faster car ever around the track), then you buy yourself a million dollar or higher car built for the track, probably not even road-legal. Just because you cannot afford a $1M+ for a track car, doesn't mean you cannot have fun in a cheaper car, be it a Taycan or a 911, or an old Lotus.

The more legroom is due to battery design which allows the passengers to sit lower. See post #166 by @doc5339 for some more details. By the way, since Lucid is doing a similar thing with the battery, are you saying Lucid was based on some previous ICE design and not a ground up EV?
That's not leg room, which is set front to chair back, that's feet room.

And obviously I'm not saying the Lucid is built off an ICE platform, how on earth did you come to that ludicrous assumption?

That's not leg room, which is set front to chair back, that's feet room.

And obviously I'm not saying the Lucid is built off an ICE platform, how on earth did you come to that ludicrous assumption?
Well, somehow it translates to more leg room. I don't have a taycan in the garage to take measurements, but I'm going to guess here that it's because most drivers don't drive with their seat perfectly vertical, but rather leaned back, which means the lower you sit behind the driver, the more leg room you have (you might call it knee room, shin room, and foot room).

When I was young and single, I would keep 2 cars, like a 911 and an SUV. 911 was also every day and track car, SUV was for shipping and hauling groups of people. Times change, as do our requirements. Now I just keep one car. As for tracking an EV, it's a fun activity. I bet tracking an actual SUV can be fun too. If your goal going to a track is to beat non-category specific records (i.e. faster car ever around the track), then you buy yourself a million dollar or higher car built for the track, probably not even road-legal. Just because you cannot afford a $1M+ for a track car, doesn't mean you cannot have fun in a cheaper car, be it a Taycan or a 911, or an old Lotus.
Sure you can have fun with an SUV on track - but the point is that they are far away from proper handling - like the Taycan. So you have compromised on the better tech, efficiency, range and space of the MS for no reason. And yes a Lotus Elise/Emira (not the Esprit) or in my case, my Atom, will do just fine on track - very cost effective.

BTW, the MS with the adaptive suspension does great on challenging roads with a few tweaks in ‘Advanced’. No need for rear-wheel-steer fakery, which is more for parking / turning circle anyway.

Anyway, you seem to be well entrenched in your decision - good for you. Just don’t mention Taycan and handling in the same sentence to any proper drivers 😂.

Last edited:
I recently visited the Porsche Experience Center and spent several hours on track (and launch pad, kick plate, etc.) with Taycan Turbo. It's a very nice car that's fun to drive and handles well. I certainly wouldn't turn one down, but am glad I chose new Model S instead. As others have mentioned, the S is more spacious and comfortable for 3+ passengers. Performance is very similar between Taycan and my MSLR, with Tesla edging out in 1/4 mile. My S feels faster probably due to higher torque and lower weight. I also much prefer the modern UI and controls in Tesla over multitude of buttons, dials, etc. in Porsche. Finally, I like the S body design and look better (even after 3 since 2013), not to mention the Porsche costs 50% more. Ok, I wouldn't mind a normal turn signal and horn.

Just picked up the car today. It is a world of difference from my MS. Everything just feels so solid and well put together. Obviously everything is perfect now so not going to make a detailed review yet, but will come back after I have had it for a while. Attached are some pics for those interested. Already, communication with my dealership has been so much easier and better, especially throughout the whole deal compared to my sister who just cancelled a Model 3 order after constant delays and no communication. I do not care about range or performance, which is why for the same price as a new model s, this was a much better deal for less money.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.15 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.23 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.31 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.41 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 90
Just picked up the car today. It is a world of difference from my MS. Everything just feels so solid and well put together. Obviously everything is perfect now so not going to make a detailed review yet, but will come back after I have had it for a while. Attached are some pics for those interested. Already, communication with my dealership has been so much easier and better, especially throughout the whole deal compared to my sister who just cancelled a Model 3 order after constant delays and no communication. I do not care about range or performance, which is why for the same price as a new model s, this was a much better deal for less money.
Beautiful car. Congratulation!

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy the Taycan thoroughly.