Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool to see these different perspectives. For me the plaid is just remarkable and the knight-rider inspired interior combined with the other-worldly performance (that is beyond just 0-60) was a big deal. I liked the fact that it looks the same as the other Model S's because I dont want any extra attention. I can park my S at Target and there are always other S's.

Combined with the supercharger, better internal battery tech (Whistle-blower report ignites Porsche investigation over its lithium-ion battery packs | www.bestmag.co.uk), and the amazing surprise updates that Elon keeps giving us was also really important to me.

Enjoy the Taycan its a beautiful car!

Exactly, don't think I can swallow paying $210k+ for a Taycan Turbo S but getting less acceleration, less range, no autopilot. I've been hoping the other car manufacturers catch up to Tesla but they're still not there yet.

I’m actually enjoying a Taycan 4S in my driveway and a 2018 Model S 100D. The Tesla used to be my go to car but it hasn’t seen a single mile put on in the last 45 days since I’ve taken in the Taycan.

There were a few initial hiccups with the Taycan which was quickly fixed with a software push from Porsche headquarters (was able to speak to a real person on phone - 😱). The car has been flawless and amazing to drive. It may be slower on paper but such a blast to drive.

The 2018 model S feels like a Corolla or a Camry at this point. Still looks brand new but the harsh suspension, rattles, road noise, constant yellowing of DRL needing replacements and horrible customer service have soured my taste. The car is going to Carmax this week.

You will love the Taycan. I hope Tesla build quality improves and maybe I’ll be back once they figure out a 360 camera situation and a proper steering.

Which model Taycan did you get?

Exactly, don't think I can swallow paying $210k+ for a Taycan Turbo S but getting less acceleration, less range, no autopilot. I've been hoping the other car manufacturers catch up to Tesla but they're still not there yet.

So buy a nicely equipped 4S for about the same price as a Plaid.

For that you get the following: a real steering wheel, better gauge cluster, HUD, much nicer interior, better handling and brakes, faster charging and almost ultimate customization. Real world range? I bet it's pretty close. Yes you do lose on the insane acceleration, rear trunk space (unless you get the wagon) and rear passenger room, and the autopilot is better than Porsche's innodrive.....although their Active cruise is MUCH smoother than Tesla's.

So catch up? That's really subjective. Pluses and minuses to each, and in several metrics, the Porsche blows away the Plaid.

Which model Taycan did you get?
I got the 4S fully optioned. It cost me the same amount as a plaid

Rear wheel steering, sports Chrono, PASM air suspension, extended battery, full leather interior, personalized stitching, personalized seat belts, massaging seats, Passenger display, HUD, sound insulated glass, etc to name a few options. You can really go crazy and add up to the base price. As I mentioned before, this was my YOLO car. 😊. You can always be sensible and get less options to stay in budget just like you do in a Tesla (where you don’t really have any options)

I also got The mamba green color which makes it stand out a little bit more than thr sea of white, silver, red and blue.

I agree with everyone that the rearview camera is not the best but honestly speaking, who is looking for a 2K auto 4K resolution in the rearview camera. All I need to make sure is that I’m not bumping into new obstacles within 1 to 2 feet of my car and the camera is adequate enough. What’s more important is that I can see the curbs with 360 view. I also get cross traffic alert

The car is amazingly quiet. I don’t have any professional sound measuring device but based on my Apple Watch, my 2018 model S was approximately 72 to 74 dB on the highway at 70 mph while the Taycan is 64 dB on the same road at the same speed under the same conditions [drove back to back]

What I do miss from the Tesla is obviously the intuitive navigation and the ease of app use. I initially used a lot of the auto pilot functionality (I have EAP) but lately, I actually prefer driving the taycan myself. I have young kids and usually take my minivan on a long road trips so having kids in the car or having a longer driving range/battery capacity is not important.

What I will not miss from Tesla is the horrible V11 UI. 🤪

So buy a nicely equipped 4S for about the same price as a Plaid.

For that you get the following: a real steering wheel, better gauge cluster, HUD, much nicer interior, better handling and brakes, faster charging and almost ultimate customization. Real world range? I bet it's pretty close. Yes you do lose on the insane acceleration, rear trunk space (unless you get the wagon) and rear passenger room, and the autopilot is better than Porsche's innodrive.....although their Active cruise is MUCH smoother than Tesla's.

So catch up? That's really subjective. Pluses and minuses to each, and in several metrics, the Porsche blows away the Plaid.

My main reasons to get the Porsche over Plaid (if doing it again) would be better suspension, handling, brakes, build quality, sexiness, HUD - in that order.

The massive acceleration is what would make it hard to give up Plaid. I thought it would get old, but after several months it still hasn't. 🤷‍♂️

I haven't driven a Taycan, but I have driven a 911 Turbo S. How does the handling compare?

Looking forward to seeing pictures. I love the Taycan, but I'm holding steady with my P90D for budgetary reasons. Once they get sub-100k in the CPO mraket, I'll swoop in.

In the meantime, I make due with Forza:

pt2.jpeg

pt1.jpeg

@Vzxyz

What I will not miss from Tesla is the horrible V11 UI. 🤪

Main reason I'm holding on to MCU1. I hear they have some adapted version of V11 for MCU2.

I haven't driven a Taycan, but I have driven a 911 Turbo S. How does the handling compare?

The handling of a 911 Turbo S to a Taycan? You can't compare at all. The Taycan is very sure footed and very planted and that's about the only thing it shares with a 911 Turbo since it's well over 1,000 lbs heavier and also has air suspension. Even crazy german engineering can't make up for that. The Taycan certainly has it beat on ride quality though.

….oh yes..leather😎

yeah, I haven't seen this discussed much. the "vegan leather" in all the Teslas is not bad and definitely more environmentally conscious but there is no comparison with the feel and breathability of actual leather. wish that was still an option, at least on the surfaces you sit on and touch frequently.

Why the comparisons to the plaid when a LR is the same car with less power (but still more than the Taycan)?

I love the Taycan as well for what it brings, but there is no mistaking it's a much more expensive car.

While the Taycan can be a much more expensive car, it doesn't necessarily have to be. It all depends on the features, options, etc. one is interested in. A new 2022 Taycan starts at $84,050 or $76,550 after federal tax credit while the MS starts at $96,190. You can essentially add $20k in options to the Taycan before it reaches the starting price of the MS.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Well after 6 years with my Model S, I decided it was time to get a new car.
Did a 24hr test drive of the refreshed MS and it was very nice. While it was 20x nicer than my 2016.5 MS, it looks basically the same as my car. Yeah the inside is nice but the look of the car just doesn't excite me anymore since I've been looking at it for so long. I test drove a Taycan and it was a world of difference. The build quality, fit and finish, way it drove, and look of the car just did it for me. All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D). It is supposed to be delivered around June and I will post pics and more updates when it comes. Cost for a nicely optioned RWD minus the tax credit comes out a bit less than Tesla.
Interesting, would you care to post a comparative review after you've had the car for a while and the "ooooh new!" factor has word off a bit? Interesting to see where each car wins/loses in your view.

While the Taycan can be a much more expensive car, it doesn't necessarily have to be. It all depends on the features, options, etc. one is interested in. A new 2022 Taycan starts at $84,050 or $76,550 after federal tax credit while the MS starts at $96,190. You can essentially add $20k in options to the Taycan before it reaches the starting price of the MS.
Yep. This is my build for anyone interested. This is basically what it costs to option it equal to a MS (Chalk paint is quite hefty at $3,000 but after seeing it in person it's definitely worth the cost).
The difference with Porsche is that you have the ability to make this car cost more by adding myriad options that Tesla does not offer such as massaging seats, rear wheel steering, HUD, etc.

I would have been more likely to get a Taycan if the ordering process wasn't so confusing. All the options quickly make the car balloon in price, and the whole process was quite confusing to me. I do love the look, especially the headlights.
Ordering process was actually extremely easy for me. I went in for a test drive but after that I texted my Porsche code to my salesman and then he sent me paperwork to sign verifying that all the options were correct, a form for the credit card deposit, and boom it was ordered with barely any interaction.

Interesting, would you care to post a comparative review after you've had the car for a while and the "ooooh new!" factor has word off a bit? Interesting to see where each car wins/loses in your view.
I can tell you that there are pros and cons of both. Software is not Porsches forte but the driving experience makes up for any shortcomings that the software may have. Once I start driving, I completely forget that I have to fiddle around with any software. Wireless CarPlay has been flawless for me which is a big plus. I wish the Taycan had one pedal driving but I can see why they choose to go with a mixed pedal braking. There is less jarring back-and-forth lurching with the Taycan implementation

As far as the Tesla, I do miss the full screen maps on the larger screen. Sending directions from Google to the app is very straightforward with a Tesla while it is somewhat of a convoluted process with the Porsche. That is definitely more legroom for real passengers in the Tesla. Tesla has more instant torque when you Hit the Excelerator. With the Porsche, there is somewhat of a buildup but the acceleration is the same

I’ve heard that the launch control is getting better with the plaid. For the Porsche, it is extremely simple without needing to fiddle on any screen. Just turn the dial mode to sport plus and you’re good to go. There is no battery warmup needed (at least in my experience so far)

Here is the picture of both cars in my garage for one last night before I sell the Tesla tomorrow

Attachments

• 5AF8BD39-CFAF-4E57-87BF-B509750A26D5.jpeg
    5AF8BD39-CFAF-4E57-87BF-B509750A26D5.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 147
I can tell you that there are pros and cons of both. Software is not Porsches forte but the driving experience makes up for any shortcomings that the software may have. Once I start driving, I completely forget that I have to fiddle around with any software. Wireless CarPlay has been flawless for me which is a big plus. I wish the Taycan had one pedal driving but I can see why they choose to go with a mixed pedal braking. There is less jarring back-and-forth lurching with the Taycan implementation

As far as the Tesla, I do miss the full screen maps on the larger screen. Sending directions from Google to the app is very straightforward with a Tesla while it is somewhat of a convoluted process with the Porsche. That is definitely more legroom for real passengers in the Tesla. Tesla has more instant torque when you Hit the Excelerator. With the Porsche, there is somewhat of a buildup but the acceleration is the same

I’ve heard that the launch control is getting better with the plaid. For the Porsche, it is extremely simple without needing to fiddle on any screen. Just turn the dial mode to sport plus and you’re good to go. There is no battery warmup needed (at least in my experience so far)

Here is the picture of both cars in my garage for one last night before I sell the Tesla tomorrow
Hope you had both cars in your driveway for Christmas 😉