Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to give it some time but I am seriously considering something like that. I am waiting for the Alibaba version where they just Velcro a ring to the top of the existing yoke.

I am just kidding but at the same time surprised it somebody hasn't created something like that yet and selling it there.

Still want stalks too.

There are some pricey options.

I probably won’t be getting one of those for my car, but do you really consider an extra $3K to be “pricey” for purchasers of $100-150K cars?

21” wheels/tires are $4500 and FSD is $12K, for perspective…

Another option

After having owned two S's. 100D and P100D and then an X P100D I had ordered a Plaid (also have had a Y LR and now about to take delivery of a Y Perf). So yes, I'm a fan of Tesla. I rejected 3 Plaids so far based on build quality. All were worse than any other Tesla I have owned.

So I went and looked at the Taycan. And yes, I was quite impressed. Wound up buying a loaded Taycan 4S for my wife. Its a great car, its a Porsche, and the sales experience to fit and finish are far beyond Tesla, unfortunately I have to say it. And, it drives like a Porsche.

I picked it up in NC and drove home to NJ. Charging was fine, lots of fast charging along the way, and its free for 3 years. Car drives amazing and range was well above the rated 230. Most owners report closer to 270 with the upgraded battery, and while I haven't experienced it yet. I am fine with the 200-230 which is what my first two Tesla S's had in 2015 & 2016 and I took those cars anywhere I wanted on the east coast back when the supercharger network was more akin to the Electrify America network as it is today. So not worried about range or charging.

I still have my Plaid on order, I placed it on hold to evaluate the Taycan a bit more. I also have a Taycan GTS on order. I honestly don't know which I will get. They both have their pro's and con's for me. Porsche wins on fit and finish and driving experience, Tesla on software for sure and supercharging network is undoubtedly broader.

I wish I could combine the two...I digress. I'm going to rent a Plaid for a day so I can have a fair comparison of the current S platform to the Taycan. But, if I can't get an S without a myriad of panel gaps and paint issues then I will getting another Taycan. I am uber picky about my cars and while all my Tesla's had a few quirks the current build quality leaves a lot to be desired for my taste and I am not going to settle on subpar fit and finish on a 140K car. I'm honestly shocked at the number of people accepting delivery on cars with some many glaring issues, but to each his own. (my 2015 S was near perfect and the best of all I have owned in terms of fit and finish, which shouldn't be the case volume has definitely compromised quality IMO)

Curious if you also looked at the Audi e-tron GT? The RS spec is insanely cool. Practically the same car for less money but with a much better interior. (Audi RS models have the best interiors in the business if you ask me). The Porsche is nice, but the Audi is a more luxurious car.

I did, I prefer the exterior of the Taycan, its personal preference. In person I didn't find the e-Tron to look as good as it does in all the pics.

Curious if you also looked at the Audi e-tron GT? The RS spec is insanely cool. Practically the same car for less money but with a much better interior. (Audi RS models have the best interiors in the business if you ask me). The Porsche is nice, but the Audi is a more luxurious car.
I didn't. I think the interior of the Taycan looks much better. The interior of the etron doesn't look much better than a Q3 to me personally (I'm sure the materials are better).

Another option
That’s uglier looking than the yoke.
Hans has the only good looking steering wheel option, it looks extremely oem.

Reactions: jebinc
Don't know if any of you who have purchased or are thinking about purchasing a Taycan would be interested in this. A nice 'round the country travelogue with pictures. From Maine to Maine through Canada, and around the US.

Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal

This blog was mentioned several years ago in one of our forums so I checked it out. Don Louv (the driver, blogger) was one of the first to receive the Taycan Turbo. His trials, tribulations, and tales I found interesting. If he could do it back then I'm sure it could be done now with fewer problems. I'd like to think the EA network has gotten better. Beautiful pictures of his travels as well as some amusing stories (he's is convinced he brought down the power supply in an area in which he was charging).

Last edited:
That’s uglier looking than the yoke.
Hans has the only good looking steering wheel option, it looks extremely oem.
Eh. I hate the yoke. All Hans does is add differently colored leather.

Yoke and capacitive touch buttons have made me drop the S/X as my next car.

Tesla better get their $hit together soon. Otherwise it’s going to be a long term customer erosion problem for them.

Eh. I hate the yoke. All Hans does is add differently colored leather.

Yoke and capacitive touch buttons have made me drop the S/X as my next car.

Tesla better get their $hit together soon. Otherwise it’s going to be a long term customer erosion problem for them.
I was talking about the actual steering wheel, not a yoke. Hansshow has the best looking one, it looks exactly what it should have looked like from the factory. Sporty and elegant.

Taycan is a pretty nice package, and it its understandable that people would cross shop them with Tesla.

Believe it compares more with a SUV like the Model X, but the Model S can hold it's own as it is a 4 door hatchback with loads of room inside to carry people and cargo.

Biggest issue with many will be that the Taycan has limited charging access for long distance road trips. Makes it more of a city car for many.

Taycan still has Federal Tax Credits that can make it a better $ decision for the wealthy.

Some get hung up on the Model S still having the same basic body style for a long time. While it still looks great on the road, I can understand the desire to get something that looks new (but not necessairly better).

Watching Sandy Monro tear down of the new Model S Plaid points out just how many significant changes there are under the skin. The advances in suspension, packaging, battery, charging, heat pump and octovalve technology really set the car apart from the competition.
I really don‘t know who this Sandy Monro is. I have only watched his video about the Mini SE. And feels that he is just too Bias.

I really don‘t know who this Sandy Monro is. I have only watched his video about the Mini SE. And feels that he is just too Bias.
Probably need to watch more than that video. Watch some other Tesla and Ford teardown; you might change your mind about bias. He's selling nothing to you but he does sell his analysis to other OEMs and interested parties.

I think the Taycan options and packages are fairly well explained on the site but yes, adding a lot of options can push the price up fairly quickly. Some people like to be able to factory "customize" their car as much as possible while others prefer limited choices for simplicity even if it means taking things they may not want. Tesla used to offer many more options but have gone with more of a streamlined, one size fits all type approach in recent years.

Neither is necessary right or wrong but "streamlined" probably works best for Tesla since there tends to be less interaction between buyer and seller and therefore less of an opportunity to be able to discuss/explain options and features. Fewer possible configurations also helps make the production process easier and cheaper.
It took me months to spec the Taycan or Cross Turismo to "perfection". I finally decided on the Sport Sedan. But i need to wait for model year 2023 to finalize my order and then the excruciating wait for build and delivery and most importantly saving the dough to pay a big upfront when deliver. But it will be so sweet that day. When that day comes, i will take the bus then subway to work that day. Maybe take half day off to pick up the car. But no idea how to drive it home without hitting the horrible road to get back home. The Taycan is gigantic car. well, will see.

I would have been more likely to get a Taycan if the ordering process wasn't so confusing. All the options quickly make the car balloon in price, and the whole process was quite confusing to me. I do love the look, especially the headlights.

I would have been more likely to get a Taycan if the ordering process wasn't so confusing. All the options quickly make the car balloon in price, and the whole process was quite confusing to me. I do love the look, especially the headlights.
Yeah, ordering the Taycan can’t be rushed. You warm yourself to it and take your sweet time to spec it. It took me a few months to spec it the way i should be fully satisfied. You got to be careful too. Cause something may look default to you on youtube videos, but may actually be a specific option. Like the windows trim. I didn't even know that it's Chrome by Default. My config would had been so ugly with chrome trim. Also, only after watching Frank Stephenson's videos on car design to inspire me to check the side mirror color matching body color option. So, yeah, it does take long time and many tries before you config it to the way you want. It feels so sweet though. First car that i can do it. Probably my only car like that.

Reactions: VikH