Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor likes his Taycan S Turbo. It was pricy ($200K+) and is short-ranged, but is a great car,
Yeah, but i think that it should make it to the driving roads up at muskoka and back home for about 230km without issue. Unfortunately i don't think that my Mini SE can make it with one tank. So i have to order a Taycan for that. I can't afford the more expensive ones. I am going to order a 4S and spec it.

So buy a nicely equipped 4S for about the same price as a Plaid.

For that you get the following: a real steering wheel, better gauge cluster, HUD, much nicer interior, better handling and brakes, faster charging and almost ultimate customization. Real world range? I bet it's pretty close. Yes you do lose on the insane acceleration, rear trunk space (unless you get the wagon) and rear passenger room, and the autopilot is better than Porsche's innodrive.....although their Active cruise is MUCH smoother than Tesla's.

So catch up? That's really subjective. Pluses and minuses to each, and in several metrics, the Porsche blows away the Plaid.
I am debating if i should spec the Active Cruise when i do final config of the Taycan order. I do wish my Mini SE has it but it isn't or wasn't an option when i order mine. I have it on my Prius, it's good to have when no traffic on the highway.

I’m in Orlando FL, so range during cold weather is practically unknown.

With my 3.5 year old model S 100D (Rated range of 335 miles), I get a theoretical range of 302 miles at 100% capacity (battery degradation). However, In real life driving (50-50 city-highway) with Michelin PS4 all seasons on 19 inch wheels, I get effective range of 170 miles (from 5 % to 80%) on Tesla

On Taycan, rated ranged is only 200 miles but I get theoretical range of 275-280 at 100% (with extended battery). Effective real world range (5% to 80%) is about 160 miles

So in real world driving situations, they’re both the same. The 2022 Taycan does a very good job with Drive decoupling (ie almost no rolling resistance when not hitting the gas pedal). It just keeps gliding for almost half a mile keeping same speed without slowing down. This probably helps with range.

My lifetime efficiency (after 1500 miles) is 3.1 miles/kWh for the Taycan.

I drive about 50 miles/day. So basically plug in both cars about twice a week. Efficiency and charging costs are comparable.
Yeah, that "gliding" I am pretty sure it's due to the .22 low drag. My Prius have pretty low drag too and it's much less stressful on the highway than my Mini SE which i am just afraid to hit the gas pedal. The only downside with the Taycan is the size. My parking spot at my home away from home is kind of small. I don't know if i would drive the Taycan to my parking spot when i get it. But will sure miss it so much when i am in the office. I can't wait for model year 2023 to be annouced and my dealer to arrange actual order.

I really like the shooting-brake look of the Porsche, but the price premium, lack of tech, and range just make it hard to recommend. I'm sure the Porsche is a great product, but it just does not pull me to want to buy it and cancel my Model S order. Think about it. I will pay roughly $100k for my Models S LR, but a similar spec Taycan will be $175K easy after "Porsche Tax"
At the Taycan level, the relative price difference is kind of low prority. They are both "not real car" worth. But that's also the point, you are not buying a car that goes from A to B. But from my gut feeling is that, if i settled on getting a Tesla, i will find hard justification to get anything more than a model Y. You don't get Porsche's dynamics with Tesla Model S for sure. So if you want the best computer on wheel that doesnt' look too shabby. It is definitely the Model Y.

I got the 4S fully optioned. It cost me the same amount as a plaid

Rear wheel steering, sports Chrono, PASM air suspension, extended battery, full leather interior, personalized stitching, personalized seat belts, massaging seats, Passenger display, HUD, sound insulated glass, etc to name a few options. You can really go crazy and add up to the base price. As I mentioned before, this was my YOLO car. 😊. You can always be sensible and get less options to stay in budget just like you do in a Tesla (where you don’t really have any options)

I also got The mamba green color which makes it stand out a little bit more than thr sea of white, silver, red and blue.

I agree with everyone that the rearview camera is not the best but honestly speaking, who is looking for a 2K auto 4K resolution in the rearview camera. All I need to make sure is that I’m not bumping into new obstacles within 1 to 2 feet of my car and the camera is adequate enough. What’s more important is that I can see the curbs with 360 view. I also get cross traffic alert

The car is amazingly quiet. I don’t have any professional sound measuring device but based on my Apple Watch, my 2018 model S was approximately 72 to 74 dB on the highway at 70 mph while the Taycan is 64 dB on the same road at the same speed under the same conditions [drove back to back]

What I do miss from the Tesla is obviously the intuitive navigation and the ease of app use. I initially used a lot of the auto pilot functionality (I have EAP) but lately, I actually prefer driving the taycan myself. I have young kids and usually take my minivan on a long road trips so having kids in the car or having a longer driving range/battery capacity is not important.

What I will not miss from Tesla is the horrible V11 UI. 🤪
Yeah, i think that my 4S order is going to be my YOLO, Midlife crisis, still stag, car. But i cannot afford leather interior or other declarating options. no passenger display for sure. Yes to sound insulate glass and burmester. Which rims did you choose? Mission E? i personally can't stomach the forced brake calibre colour option that goes with the Mission E rim.

Taycan may have OK range, but problem is that when you run low on battery, there are few places to get a recharge.

It is a beautiful car, with Porsche character, but over priced and no Supercharging network.
Yeah, i feel the same after i see it in at a Porsche mall popup store like two years ago, i think, of course i thought that it was the most beautiful car then. I so wanted to get the Model 3 as a Mini Taycan as i was no way near able to afford a Taycan then. But now i can actually "afford" one, it is not over priced anymore. More of the war and stuff pushing up prices and Canada may soon implement fking luxury tax. I hope that at least luxury tax not in decision when i create my actual model year 2023 order. It does feel good to type that.

If you don't need the extra room, the 3 is a much better car than the Y (having own both). I'll take my S LR over the 3 except if I have to deal with crappy heavy city traffic and parking all the time.

At the 79k price point, the MS LR was a screaming deal. After owning my S for a while, I'll say that even at 99k it is a pretty good deal. My friend just bought a Taycan GTS. I think it handles better than my S but where I live that doesn't really matter much. He got crazy with the options list and I think vastly overspent on the car. So much so he won't even tell me. I've bought enough Porsches to know that as crazy as he got with the options list it was probably another 30k in add ons.

He isn't getting the rated range though I hear some people exceed the rated range. Whereas with Tesla you almost always get less. Not so terrible if you start with a 400 mile range and get less but definitely an issue if you start with 200 miles and get less. I think the 2 speed transmission was needless complexity and isn't as smooth as it should be. I absolutely hate the lack of on-pedal driving. At any speed, the MS LR will crush his Taycan in acceleration which is one main resons I buy EVs in the first place. :);)

fwiw, I just did a lateral trade of my 2021 Taycan 4CT for a 2022 MSLR. Yes, relative to the Taycan the MS has the dynamics of a golf cart; top heavy and bloated. The Taycan feels planted especially over 150kph. That said, the software is glitchy af, Porsche sales were some of the most shockingly arrogant ppl I have ever encountered, and as for build quality, this is highly subjective but I’m going to say the refreshed Teslas have more solid door feel/latching and overall more beef and fewer rattles. The Taycan panel vibrations everywhere are well known by the owner community, resolving on their own with foam wedges because SC’s can’t/won’t reproduce or claim it’s because there is no engine noise to mask the vibrations. But here’s why I reverted back to Tesla even after a previous motor fault due to coolant leak that Tesla claimed was water ingress: range and infrastructure. Public charging infrastructure is an uncoordinated mess and I wasted hours with ElectrifyCanada trying to remedy. The Porsche app is trash (the newer one is better mind you). Winter range of 270km at 85% SOC is a joke. This has a lot to do with drag, my CT had a coefficient of 0.28, MS still 0.21. The clear coat on Porsche paint scratches just by looking at it. All those creases and transitions fill with road grit and so is harder to clean/detail and will wear and rust sooner (lots of mixed metals). All in all, the Tesla is a GT beast, and a better distance machine. But don’t think the grass is greener. It just looks that way. I’m happier in the new MS :) plus, everyone seemed to give me dirty looks in the Porsche (not because of my driving!). Nobody notices Teslas anymore, I prefer that.
I am lucky that my Porsche sales representative is not arrogant. But i am settling to order Sedan instead of Cross Turismo. Glad that i brought up the CT when i went to the dealer yesterday. Finallly got to see it. it does look nice but major flaw is the rim. it does have 21 nice rim. But snow tire doesn't go on that rim. So it looks ugly for 4-5 months of a year. I can't stomach that. So i shut the CT door. In terms of drag. Yeah, the sedan drag is .22.

Reactions: andyro
I didn't have any luck with KBB and an instant cash offer on my model Y. Maybe better luck with other models.

As for the Taycan, owned a lot of Porsches but call me a purist, I can never really warm up to the 4 door models. At least with the sedans anyway. Have a couple Cayennes but when the Panamera came out I thought it was hideously ugly. I'll still take the many year old basic body style of the S over the Taycan thought I think it looks better than the Panamera by a long shot.

I do appreciate the competition for the S as competition improves the breed.
Not sure if you have seen the Taycan. But Taycan and Panamera is night and day style difference. But you are right. I do feel uneasy inside now that i am really going through with the whole ordering the 4 door Porsche thing. Especially 1. The sales tell me that the classic porsche silver is usually only available for the sports cars. 2. The Taycan is a volume car. i am glad that i don't have to wait years to get one but deep down, it does feel like a let down that it's in the same league as the Macan, etc.

I appreciate the input. I’m definitely in the honeymoon phase with the Taycan right now. I’ve heard about build quality problems with the 2020 and 2021 Taycan models. Even the dreaded interior alarm for the cross turismo. I’m hoping I don’t have many issues but only time will tell.

For now, I think I’m going to hold on to the model S until I can trade it in for a 2022 or 2023 Model X for my wife (she prefers a higher seating position)

Will be enjoying the best of both worlds for a while 😛

Porsche dealerships (sales office) are definitely a hit or miss. One of our local Orlando dealerships is very arrogant and only wants to cater to clients who “look elite / higher class”. I went with the other dealership where everyone was very pleasant to work with.
Hahah. I was wearing my all ripped pants when i first went to my local Porsche dealership. I had to go through service side cause of covid. The service guy tried to kick me out with excuses. Anyway long story short. I had email exchanges with my sales representative and he doesn't seem arrogant when i went to see him yesterday. It feel like regular car buying experience. Much better than when i and my dad tried to look for a Honda Pilot, or even a freaking Hyundai.

Wow, this (regen behavior on Taycan) sounds like a major “deal breaker” for me. I love the feel of Tesla’s regen simply by feathering (or lifting off) the accelerator.
One pedal driving is way over hyped. It is just a behavour/setting. It actually may be less safe in poor road condition (from my experience with one pedal driving in my Mini SE).

My thoughts exactly on the Taycan test dive. It feels artificially leveled in the turns. It’s a very heavy car, but in turns, it’s very flat and eager to turn, but in a very artificial, CGI-esque way, if I can use that term here. Steering has no feedback, but then, Model S steering is equally lifeless.

Also the Taycan touch screens were so laggy, I wish they had less of those. 😁
Sounds like what reviewer gets. Also like what people says about the Nissan GT-R, in terms of hugely capable but too easy to drive and feel like a video game. I used to own S2000 before, I am pretty sure that it’s not going to be as involved when driving the Taycan, but i own the Mini SE now, i guess that is a small preview of what i would get with the Taycan, massively capable but it‘s like the experience is filtered through, digital vs analogue, etc. I didn‘t test drive the Taycan. i want the same excitement as when i drive my Mini SE home first time. Plus, not like there is a competitor to Taycan today.

Sounds like what reviewer gets. Also like what people says about the Nissan GT-R, in terms of hugely capable but too easy to drive and feel like a video game. I used to own S2000 before, I am pretty sure that it’s not going to be as involved when driving the Taycan, but i own the Mini SE now, i guess that is a small preview of what i would get with the Taycan, massively capable but it‘s like the experience is filtered through, digital vs analogue, etc. I didn‘t test drive the Taycan. i want the same excitement as when i drive my Mini SE home first time. Plus, not like there is a competitor to Taycan today.

If you are coming from an S2000, there aren’t any electric cars that can match that driver feedback. Not many in the ICE world too, nowadays. 😒

My Model 3 is very fun to drive, but no match for my erstwhile E46 BMW 325i with sport package. That car was the best in terms of both ride and handling.

Taycan’s folly is it’s massive curb weight. Porsche suspension engineers tried their best, but came up with a CGI representation of the real thing. That’s my honest but blunt opinion.

Sales rep in Houston are extremely bad and full of sh!t.

After 60 miles (a close friends car) it bricked after being left plugged in for a couple weeks. Porsche came and grabbed it and he was told it’s his fault for leaving it plugged in. After a few weeks they said it was a software issue and it’s all fixed. He asked for the data on what was wrong and what they fixed,since he’s been in software 40 years, well that brought radio silence. Long story short he’s cancelled his 2’nd Cayman and got rid of the first one. It’s certainly a beautiful car, but if you have a few homes and it sits it’s not a great car for you. Hopefully the EQS 580 is better but so far no one is matching Tesla in battery, power management and technology.

Attachments

• F31060C5-6571-41E2-BF92-1F1CBB3F137E.jpeg
    F31060C5-6571-41E2-BF92-1F1CBB3F137E.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and SO16
Sales rep in Houston are extremely bad and full of sh!t.

After 60 miles (a close friends car) it bricked after being left plugged in for a couple weeks. Porsche came and grabbed it and he was told it’s his fault for leaving it plugged in. After a few weeks they said it was a software issue and it’s all fixed. He asked for the data on what was wrong and what they fixed,since he’s been in software 40 years, well that brought radio silence. Long story short he’s cancelled his 2’nd Cayman and got rid of the first one. It’s certainly a beautiful car, but if you have a few homes and it sits it’s not a great car for you. Hopefully the EQS 580 is better but so far no one is matching Tesla in battery, power management and technology.
I think that if dynamics and style is not top priority anymore. Can also look at BMW. if it is me, on the low end i would check out the i4 and iX for the more premium one. Bmw had been in the game long. My MINI SE had been super reliable so far.

Well after 6 years with my Model S, I decided it was time to get a new car.
Did a 24hr test drive of the refreshed MS and it was very nice. While it was 20x nicer than my 2016.5 MS, it looks basically the same as my car. Yeah the inside is nice but the look of the car just doesn't excite me anymore since I've been looking at it for so long. I test drove a Taycan and it was a world of difference. The build quality, fit and finish, way it drove, and look of the car just did it for me. All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D). It is supposed to be delivered around June and I will post pics and more updates when it comes. Cost for a nicely optioned RWD minus the tax credit comes out a bit less than Tesla.
You will not be disappointed though you might miss some of the Tesla UI. Congratulations!