Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove about 40 miles yesterday running between 75-80 mph on the freeway with some bursts higher and rarely below 70 mph. I was also running the AC. My consumption was 283 Wh/mi. This would give me a range of just over 350 miles. I have a MS LR running on the 19" Aero wheels. I was pretty pleased with those numbers given the speeds I was driving.

Not sure if there was any tail winds and didn't check. The terrain was mostly flat. My Model Y LR at the same speeds was typically around 330-340 at the same speeds on the same road. Not sure if my Y was really bad or my S is really good compared to others. Just a reference point to help others.

Range really matters for me as I don't want to charge to 100% as it is bad for the batteries. So if I keep my usage between 20-75% it gives me a real world daily range of about 200 miles without undue stress on the battery pack. Since I plan to keep the S for a long time, this matters to me. On my MY LR, I had basically no degradation in the first year at all, or not any that I could measure. I kept it between 20-75% daily and only charged above that for trips. YMMV.

The Taycan was on our list when we started to seriously consider EVs. I leased a 911 8-9 years ago and I loved it. I did not get another one because we got kids and both cars needed four doors. The range turned me down. Until just now I did not realize the range is simalar. My LR is consistently 30% less range than what it shows. I am happy with my S but lot of the love is EV love. I did not drive or even look at the Taycan but I am 100% sure it looks, feels, and drives like a 100k+ car should. I keep saying the S LR is more like a 70-80k car optioned. It is supposed to be very techie product yet it does not have:

- Good brakes
- 360 camera. Camera on the side on the front of the car to help pulling out when side view is blocked. Or just a HD, high quality camera. It really shows when you look at it on a large display.
- Headlights turning into the direction of the curve. Actually good headlights. Mine is pre matrix, but at least they have added that now.
- HUD as an option. I am ok without it but I had it since 2010 in all of our cars except the 911. I would pay for it for sure. Look at the S580's HUD or the EQS. Amazing info right in front of you.
- In car wifi. It has paid streaming. Come on! Gimme wifi.
- Good background noise filtering for phone calls (works great alone but when the kids are blasting the iPads it is impossible to talk to the driver. This was not an issue in our many BMWs or even in my monster GMC 2500)
- Seat belt pre tensioning ... or even seat belt height adjustment.
- Remotely retractable window shades.
- The roof should be such that can adjust how much light it lets through. At least as an option.
- A climate control that I only need to touch maybe once a drive... mine keeps going nuts. That may be a malfunction but it feels I am back in 2003 when the auto mode was the first thing you turned off in any car.
... and I could probably come up with many more things that it should have the very least as an option, again, in a 100k car.

However at this point I would still go with the S LR because:
- It has way more space and for me this is important at the moment. Especially middle console space is huge. Game changer really.
- Charging network, though I will barely need to use it, gives me peace of mind.
- The streaming software... this is huge to me. All those news channels I had no access to unless I paid for satellite. I hate satellite. Total garbage. With the Tesla I love watching YouTube on the giant screen when I sit somewhere and I can listen to so many tings. I love it.
- The minimalist approach.
- I now dig the yoke. It fits the futuristic look.
- I love one pedal driving. <<< Huuuuuuuuge to me! I thought I would hate that for sure. I love it to the point that I think it will be a deal breaker if a future car does not come with it.
- Display of surrounding cars. Even though it is still glitchy, this now is a must have to me.
... and many many more little details like home-link.

But I think I will revisit the Taycan and also the Audi products in a few years because Tesla will eventually try to become an affordable, mainstream brand like Honda or Toyota. I think at that point many S owners will bail. If there is even an S by then.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and VikH
This is an interesting discussion and the pros/cons are pretty well laid out. I'm currently a MYP owner with a MSLR on order. The MYP was my first dip into the EV world and I am loving it, hence my MSLR order. I own a Porsche 911 as a summer toy so I am a Porsche fan. To me, the Porsche driving dynamics are second to none and the fit and finish is outstanding. Also - you can pretty much have a personalized car - any and every option is customizable if you want to pay for it :)

Both the MS/Taycan have it's pros/cons - just comes down to what matters the most per individual. As much as I would want to have a Taycan (I think it looks amazing), my biggest issue is not the tech, range or driving dynamics - simply that there is a hump in the rear floor where a 3rd passenger will sit. I also think the back seat space is super tight overall and the Taycan is really a 2+2 config even if you get the bench-like seat in the back. With 3 kids - it's a problem since the middle seat gets used regularly and the MS has more interior room.

Reactions: Huncowboy
It is supposed to be very techie product yet it does not have:
- A climate control that I only need to touch maybe once a drive... mine keeps going nuts. That may be a malfunction but it feels I am back in 2003 when the auto mode was the first thing you turned off in any car.
In general, I agree with a lot of your points. I have to say about climate control, this is the first car that I've ever owned that actually works very well for me. Pretty much set it and forget it. I've owned the gamut of high-end cars and this one does it well and so does my 3. My Y wasn't good, but generally better than most.

A lot of the things you would want to be included would drive the price up a lot more and I am not sure how many more customers that might attract vs. the increased costs driving some away. Sure it could more upscale but TBH I think it hits its price point pretty well.

I think Porsche goes a bit overboard on what all you can customize just to wring more $$$ out of you. The challenge I've had later is if I decide to resell the car, and my car is a bit too unique, I've taken a bath on selling it. So I've learned to just stick with the most popular options so at to make resale easier as I never end up keeping it as long as I planned. ;)

At the end of the day, if it wasn't for Tesla, we would see the Taycan or E-tron. I also am curious to see how long-term the Porsche holds up and what real teething issues it has. Not sure the 2 speed transmission makes a lot of sense yet for the extra complexity.

Anyway great to have choices. If you love the Taycan, awesome. It is a great car. I am sure in a few years I may be looking for something better than my S and hopefully, we'll have even better choices.

The Taycan was on our list when we started to seriously consider EVs. I leased a 911 8-9 years ago and I loved it. I did not get another one because we got kids and both cars needed four doors. The range turned me down. Until just now I did not realize the range is simalar. My LR is consistently 30% less range than what it shows. I am happy with my S but lot of the love is EV love. I did not drive or even look at the Taycan but I am 100% sure it looks, feels, and drives like a 100k+ car should. I keep saying the S LR is more like a 70-80k car optioned. It is supposed to be very techie product yet it does not have:

- Good brakes
- 360 camera. Camera on the side on the front of the car to help pulling out when side view is blocked. Or just a HD, high quality camera. It really shows when you look at it on a large display.
- Headlights turning into the direction of the curve. Actually good headlights. Mine is pre matrix, but at least they have added that now.
- HUD as an option. I am ok without it but I had it since 2010 in all of our cars except the 911. I would pay for it for sure. Look at the S580's HUD or the EQS. Amazing info right in front of you.
- In car wifi. It has paid streaming. Come on! Gimme wifi.
- Good background noise filtering for phone calls (works great alone but when the kids are blasting the iPads it is impossible to talk to the driver. This was not an issue in our many BMWs or even in my monster GMC 2500)
- Seat belt pre tensioning ... or even seat belt height adjustment.
- Remotely retractable window shades.
- The roof should be such that can adjust how much light it lets through. At least as an option.
... and I could probably come up with many more things that it should have the very least as an option, again, in a 100k car.

However at this point I would still go with the S LR because:
- It has way more space and for me this is important at the moment. Especially middle console space is huge. Game changer really.
- Charging network, though I will barely need to use it, gives me peace of mind.
- The streaming software... this is huge to me. All those news channels I had no access to unless I paid for satellite. I hate satellite. Total garbage. With the Tesla I love watching YouTube on the giant screen when I sit somewhere and I can listen to so many tings. I love it.
- The minimalist approach.
- I now dig the yoke. It fits the futuristic look.
- I love one pedal driving. <<< Huuuuuuuuge to me! I thought I would hate that for sure. I love it to the point that I think it will be a deal breaker if a future car does not come with it.
- Display of surrounding cars. Even though it is still glitchy, this now is a must have to me.
... and many many more little details like home-link.

But I think I will revisit the Taycan and also the Audi products in a few years because Tesla will eventually try to become an affordable, mainstream brand like Honda or Toyota. I think at that point many S owners will bail. If there is even an S by then.
HUD really is trap. Promotional material will show the snazziest version. But the one in your country would probably just show speed and power level.

Well after 6 years with my Model S, I decided it was time to get a new car.
Did a 24hr test drive of the refreshed MS and it was very nice. While it was 20x nicer than my 2016.5 MS, it looks basically the same as my car. Yeah the inside is nice but the look of the car just doesn't excite me anymore since I've been looking at it for so long. I test drove a Taycan and it was a world of difference. The build quality, fit and finish, way it drove, and look of the car just did it for me. All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D). It is supposed to be delivered around June and I will post pics and more updates when it comes. Cost for a nicely optioned RWD minus the tax credit comes out a bit less than Tesla.
I had a 2021 4S for 6 months and the software was horrendous so I dumped it for a Plaid. The car went to the dealership 4X in that timeframe for software related issues. If they can fix the software, I will be back. Other than the software It's really a great car.

Reactions: VikH
HUD really is trap. Promotional material will show the snazziest version. But the one in your country would probably just show speed and power level.
The HUDs I had were all on BMWs. It shows a good bit more than speed, i.e. navigation, recent calls, I think it had incoming calls too, etc. The new stuff by MB is very impressive and it is available in the USA on the S and EQS. Video below. Certainly not a must have, more like a nice to have option. I will say though, the instrument panel's left side with the navigation works very well on the S. It complements the main screen nicely and it is in front of you. There really is no "need" for a HUD but if they had one I would order it.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and David29
Well after 6 years with my Model S, I decided it was time to get a new car.
Did a 24hr test drive of the refreshed MS and it was very nice. While it was 20x nicer than my 2016.5 MS, it looks basically the same as my car. Yeah the inside is nice but the look of the car just doesn't excite me anymore since I've been looking at it for so long. I test drove a Taycan and it was a world of difference. The build quality, fit and finish, way it drove, and look of the car just did it for me. All the comparisons online tend to lean towards mentioning range and 0-60, which this car is lacking in compared to the Tesla, but for my purposes, 280 miles or so will be plenty and the instant torque still feels plenty fast (specs are basically the same as my 75D). It is supposed to be delivered around June and I will post pics and more updates when it comes. Cost for a nicely optioned RWD minus the tax credit comes out a bit less than Tesla.
Did you get it yet? Any updates?

Reactions: doc5339
Did you get it yet? Any updates?
Delivery date got pushed back a bit because of Ukraine, and the tracker is now saying that the production has completed and it will arrive mid July. I did receive some production photos which I will attach here

Attachments

• IMG_8117.png
    IMG_8117.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2137.png
    IMG_2137.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
Delivery date got pushed back a bit because of Ukraine, and the tracker is now saying that the production has completed and it will arrive mid July. I did receive some production photos which I will attach here
Wow, that's amazing, that Porsche sends photos of your car as it is being built!

Wow, that's amazing, that Porsche sends photos of your car as it is being built!
They incorporated it into the Track Your Dream app which tracks your Porsche from production to delivery. Available after some production date earlier this year. I do recall Elon promising more detailed production to delivery tracking in the Tesla app around 2013, so who knows, maybe Tesla will get there eventually too (must adjust for Elon timeline).

Last edited:
Delayed still better than nothing. I've been waiting for a Taycan CT Turbo allocation almost a year now to finally replace one of my Model S.

Reactions: doc5339
Hoping it comes sooner rather than later, just had to replace two more door handles and my screen is leaking glue so hopefully that doesn't fail :oops:. I do know I am somewhat going a step back in technology, but I've heard the 22s are a bit better. I mean right now I barely have a functioning screen that is so laggy, and doesn't show the backup camera or goes black every once in a while in my MS so not sure it can get much worse. Tesla service also wouldn't replace my faded headlight for free even though we explained that we have had thirteen replacements so clearly something is wrong (couldn't get in contact with a manager and tried opening a service request with Tesla too, but nothing). So far, I have been much more impressed with the ease of communication with Porsche, but we will see how that goes once I have the car.

They incorporated it into the Track Your Dream app which tracks your Porsche from production to delivery. Available after some production date earlier this year. I do recall Elon promising more detailed production to delivery tracking in the Tesla app around 2013, so who knows, maybe Tesla will get there eventually too (must adjust for Elon timeline).
Do they send you a photo of a mine when they are extracting the iron ore as well? :)

As much as I would want to have a Taycan (I think it looks amazing), my biggest issue is not the tech, range or driving dynamics - simply that there is a hump in the rear floor where a 3rd passenger will sit. I also think the back seat space is super tight overall and the Taycan is really a 2+2 config even if you get the bench-like seat in the back. With 3 kids - it's a problem since the middle seat gets used regularly and the MS has more interior room.
What is the hump for? I thought they were dual motors?