Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered my CA legacy personalized plates back on May 4th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My regular non-personalized ones came in 14 days. In line with what others were reporting, if Tesla files with DMV right away. Tesla must have filed with the DMV right away for me. Didn't like the number I got, so I ordered a personalized one. The special plate personalized one took right around 60 days exactly to come
Could you tell me if you need your first DMV issued plates before you can order a personalized set?

Could you tell me if you need your first DMV issued plates before you can order a personalized set?

No. You can reserve the plates before you even have a car.

I just wanted to see the free one they give me first. I've had a couple of cars where I liked the random letters and numbers on the free plate. If I don't like it, like it's 666 or something, then I'll get a personalized one.

Reactions: Ronnie Aloha
Mine got declined, the letter says that my plate was gang affiliated (I had the number 88, which was the year I was born). Took them about a month to refund me my money.

What did the reasoning say, exactly? Did it specifically highlight the 88? I find that hard to believe it was the "88" at issue considering the number of Chinese people in California with various combinations of 8 on their personalized plates.

Mine got declined, the letter says that my plate was gang affiliated (I had the number 88, which was the year I was born). Took them about a month to refund me my money.

Years ago I tried to buy "JUVE NO 1." I got declined because they said it was too close to juvenile. I never thought it was too close to juvenile but I especially never understood why juvenile would have been banned anyway.

What did the reasoning say, exactly? Did it specifically highlight the 88? I find that hard to believe it was the "88" at issue considering the number of Chinese people in California with various combinations of 8 on their personalized plates.

From adl.org (Anti-Defamation League):

88 is a white supremacist numerical code for "Heil Hitler." H is the eighth letter of the alphabet, so 88 = HH = Heil Hitler... The number is also used by ham radio operators to mean "hugs" or "hugs and kisses."

I can see it being banned for either reason :)

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
When I try to configure a plate online, it lets me go all the way to adding my credit card and then the plate gets removed from my cart. In other instances however, you get told the combination isn't available while you are still in the configurator.

Anyone know why this happens? I'm wondering if the former is just a website glitch and that the plate is actually available.

From adl.org (Anti-Defamation League):

88 is a white supremacist numerical code for "Heil Hitler." H is the eighth letter of the alphabet, so 88 = HH = Heil Hitler... The number is also used by ham radio operators to mean "hugs" or "hugs and kisses."

I can see it being banned for either reason :)

Ahh, ok, perfectly understandable to ban 88 then. lol

When I try to configure a plate online, it lets me go all the way to adding my credit card and then the plate gets removed from my cart. In other instances however, you get told the combination isn't available while you are still in the configurator.

Anyone know why this happens? I'm wondering if the former is just a website glitch and that the plate is actually available.

When it tells you the combination is not available, it just means someone else has it already. Being removed from the cart just sounds like a bug.

I ordered vanity plates in May and took delivery of my car on Sept. 30 and was notified that the plates were available on Oct 3. The car has to be registered by the DMV to pick up the personalized plates. I just received the permanent plates (3 weeks plus a couple of days, if you are counting). Interesting that the plates shipped from Tesla, not the DMV.

DMV holds vanity plates for something like 90 days after the first notification. I called to make sure they didn't chuck them before I had my permanent tags. The rep said they will send out 2 more notifications 9 (received the 2nd notice already), but also put a note on my plates to make sure their staff knew I was waiting for the registration to finalize. I hope to pick up tomorrow even though I have an appointment for next month, and going in early with a vat of coffee and some snacks in case it becomes an all-day event...