Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered my Model 3 (LR&Premium)-Good call ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I received my invite to configure my model 3 2 weeks ago, and I finally pulled trigger last week by placing order for the first production model ( long range & premium), I think I made the right call but what do you guys think ?

Here is my thought process of ordering:

Because initially estimated delivery of the standard battery (35k) showed early 2018, and I think I will be able to get the $7500 fed credit. Then, Tesla pushed back my ETA for standard to Mid 2018, I think it is still possible to get the full fed credit. However, now Tesla delayed again, and moved the ETA of AWD model even before the standard battery. So now ETA for standard battery is late 2018.

Based on the research I read online, I have a strong feeling that there will be only $3750 fed credit available for standard battery by Q3/Q4 2018.

so the total cost difference between first production model 3 and standard battery with premium package(with the help of fed tax credit) is around $6000 difference instead of $9000. So I ordered mine.

What do you guys think ?

Thank you so much for reading my long post. Have a great day.

Reactions: voltage
Full credit will most likely be available for the rest of 2018. It's not even hit 200K yet, so it's guaranteed for Q2 and Q3. The thinking is that Tesla is delaying shipments so that the 200K will be in July, so that the full credit is in Q3 and Q4, with half credit Q1 and 2 2019. etc.

However, you still may be correct in general, as there may still be no Standard batteries until 2019; I've seen reports that they want to maximize revenue, which is keep the maximum price cars this year (premium/LR and then AWD). With SR batteries pushed to 2019.

If you don't need AWD (sounds like not, in OC, and most don't unless they need the best performance), I would go ahead. That's what we're doing in a month or so for GF's car. Hope that's of use and best of luck!

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Full credit will most likely be available for the rest of 2018. It's not even hit 200K yet, so it's guaranteed for Q2 and Q3. The thinking is that Tesla is delaying shipments so that the 200K will be in July, so that the full credit is in Q3 and Q4, with half credit Q1 and 2 2019. etc.

However, you still may be correct in general, as there may still be no Standard batteries until 2019; I've seen reports that they want to maximize revenue, which is keep the maximum price cars this year (premium/LR and then AWD). With SR batteries pushed to 2019.

If you don't need AWD (sounds like not, in OC, and most don't unless they need the best performance), I would go ahead. That's what we're doing in a month or so for GF's car. Hope that's of use and best of luck!
Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought. I guess the only way to find out whether they hit 200k is in the tesla earning report on early May 2018. By then, we can have a more clear estimate for the tax credit situation. However, I just can't wait lol. I have been waiting for 2 whole years now.

Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought. I guess the only way to find out whether they hit 200k is in the tesla earning report on early May 2018. By then, we can have a more clear estimate for the tax credit situation. However, I just can't wait lol. I have been waiting for 2 whole years now.
If you can afford the LR and premium now; do it.
I've had my 3 for almost 3 months. Just returned from a 340 mi drive from NorCal. Stopped once in Kettleman City (my favorite SC) for 20 mins. This car gets rated range while keeping up with left lane traffic on I-5!
The sooner you can touch the awesomeness of the Model 3 the better IMO.

(yeah. of course I'll want a PDLR when that happens. But so happy with this car).

Yep, second @Wilsonli - unless you *really* want whatever extra performance comes with AWD, I can't imagine you'll need the extra handling stability. IME the RWD handles incredibly in dry/wet, and apparently quite well in snow as well if you have the right tires...

Just relax and wait for your car to show up- you're gonna love it!

Elon said AWD upgrade would be "less than $5k". I don't know if that means "$4999" or if that means significantly less.
When has Tesla ever used "$1 below to get $xx99" prices? That screams "bargain bin brand", I highly doubt Musk would risk dirtying the Tesla cachet with such shenanigans. :p

However $4500 is certainly plausible or potentially $3500, still my marker is on the assumption of $4000.

When has Tesla ever used "$1 below to get $xx99" prices? That screams "bargain bin brand", I highly doubt Musk would risk dirtying the Tesla cachet with such shenanigans. :p

However $4500 is certainly plausible or potentially $3500, still my marker is on the assumption of $4000.

Oh, I agree, I would not expect $4999. :) A while ago, someone posted a rumor that the white interior seats were going to be $3500, but the S/X didn't charge that much (I think $1k, but it was about the material, not the color). So other people surmised that actually the AWD and white interior might come out at the same time, and the AWD was going to be $3500 extra. That's more in line with what I would hope for.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Oh, I agree, I would not expect $4999. :) A while ago, someone posted a rumor that the white interior seats were going to be $3500, but the S/X didn't charge that much (I think $1k, but it was about the material, not the color). So other people surmised that actually the AWD and white interior might come out at the same time, and the AWD was going to be $3500 extra. That's more in line with what I would hope for.
Current consensus thinking is that White will be "free" but will require, at least initially, the PUP (unlinked to AWD, even if they become available at the same time). If they do ever offer premium seats/material separate from the rest of the PUP (stereo, roof) you'd simply get your colour choice of Black/White/____ then, too.

Current consensus thinking is that White will be "free" but will require, at least initially, the PUP (unlinked to AWD, even if they become available at the same time). If they do ever offer premium seats/material separate from the rest of the PUP (stereo, roof) you'd simply get your colour choice of Black/White/____ then, too.
Yes, that's basically what I said. My point of that whole thing I wrote was that $3500 might be the cost of AWD and that it was mistakenly linked to white interior. I agree that white probably requires PUP, at least initially.

Hi Everyone,

I received my invite to configure my model 3 2 weeks ago, and I finally pulled trigger last week by placing order for the first production model ( long range & premium), I think I made the right call but what do you guys think ?

Here is my thought process of ordering:

Because initially estimated delivery of the standard battery (35k) showed early 2018, and I think I will be able to get the $7500 fed credit. Then, Tesla pushed back my ETA for standard to Mid 2018, I think it is still possible to get the full fed credit. However, now Tesla delayed again, and moved the ETA of AWD model even before the standard battery. So now ETA for standard battery is late 2018.

Based on the research I read online, I have a strong feeling that there will be only $3750 fed credit available for standard battery by Q3/Q4 2018.

so the total cost difference between first production model 3 and standard battery with premium package(with the help of fed tax credit) is around $6000 difference instead of $9000. So I ordered mine.

What do you guys think ?

Thank you so much for reading my long post. Have a great day.
IMO it's a no brainer. You are correct you will save at least $3,750, possibly $7,500. Although Tesla priced the options very competitively. Premium package is a must have for $5k you don't want to go without it. Between leather seats (really nice seats actually), upgraded interior, memory seats with profile (must have for some) and upgraded sound system.

Battery range upgrade is very competitively priced as well. You get a car that will be much better for road trips. Not only you will have to supercharge less but supercharging is 30 percent faster. And not to forget the battery warranty is upped from 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

And not to mention you will benefit from increased resale value. Your car will be very competitive against a base $35k car in 3 years. I expect $15,000 depreciation in 3 years, something never seen before on a $55k car.

And of course you get the car in 4 weeks vs 52 weeks!!

Basically if you can afford it go for it.