Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered my X in June last year, price shows much less than what is on the site now.. am I locked in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I ordered a Model X in June of last year, seems that the car is delayed now until Dec-April of 2023 (estimate, who knows?).

The PDF I received showed the total price of the car at $110k, including self driving (which I took off the build right afterwards, so presumably $100k now). That's the PDF I have attached to the email when I reserved.

That said, is that the locked in price? Or will it change to the $123k price I'm seeing on the site with the same configuration? I am only asking because given the long lead time I may just pass on the car entirely, especially if it jumping to $20k more than when I put the deposit down.

Appreciate any insight on this, and thanks!

Congrats. You will get your car for the order price. None of this last-minute uplift from the dealer that the other brands are doing.

At a Ford dealer a friend has his car come in and they wanted $10K more than his agreement said. They said they had 10 others waiting on the same van. He walked.

Congrats. You will get your car for the order price. None of this last-minute uplift from the dealer that the other brands are doing.

At a Ford dealer a friend has his car come in and they wanted $10K more than his agreement said. They said they had 10 others waiting on the same van. He walked.
Is there any validation of this from Tesla themselves? Or a number to call to check?

I only ask since I'm debating on getting another car sooner than later, plus with the wind noise issues etc I'm reading about the X, not sure that I even am as excited as I once was....

Is there any validation of this from Tesla themselves? Or a number to call to check?

I only ask since I'm debating on getting another car sooner than later, plus with the wind noise issues etc I'm reading about the X, not sure that I even am as excited as I once was....
I received the pricing I got when I ordered my X 12 months earlier. Same with my last X back in 2018.

I am not sure where you are hearing about wind noise issues, but I can say my 2022 X is substantially quieter than my 2018. But it is not a silent car since Tesla does not load their cars up with sound material because of the weight. Some brands have over 100 pounds of sound foams and battens. If silence is key, you might want to look somewhere else.

I received the pricing I got when I ordered my X 12 months earlier. Same with my last X back in 2018.

I am not sure where you are hearing about wind noise issues, but I can say my 2022 X is substantially quieter than my 2018. But it is not a silent car since Tesla does not load their cars up with sound material because of the weight. Some brands have over 100 pounds of sound foams and battens. If silence is key, you might want to look somewhere else.
Was talking about this: Cabin Noise in Refresh Model X 2022

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs

you should have a tesla.com account when you placed your order. you can check your profile and order info there. it will display the price and config you ordered. there is also a motor vehicle order agreement (bottom right). open that document and you will see when you placed the order and cost.

we have bought 2 teslas (3 and Y) and the price hasn't changed from date of order to signing of paperwork during delivery. our third tesla on order (X) we made modifications since we ordered so the price changed, but the base price is still honored from the date of original order - this i believe only applies to US orders.

the only one i have ordered that is up in the air on price is the cybertruck.

Reactions: n.one.one
you should have a tesla.com account when you placed your order. you can check your profile and order info there. it will display the price and config you ordered. there is also a motor vehicle order agreement (bottom right). open that document and you will see when you placed the order and cost.

we have bought 2 teslas (3 and Y) and the price hasn't changed from date of order to signing of paperwork during delivery. our third tesla on order (X) we made modifications since we ordered so the price changed, but the base price is still honored from the date of original order - this i believe only applies to US orders.

the only one i have ordered that is up in the air on price is the cybertruck.
The order is listed on my Tesla account, the price is listed in the attached document... not sure that it means it's set though.

The order is listed on my Tesla account, the price is listed in the attached document... not sure that it means it's set though.
attached document? are the prices different between your tesla account order page and motor vehicle order agreement document?

historically speaking, if you ordered and paid the $100-250 fee, the price you and tesla agree to will not change unless you make modifications to the order.

you can look at it as buying $100,000+ gallon of milk from amazon.com. they won't charge you until they ship it AKA tesla isn't going to ask for payment until delivery but that's the amount you're going to pay for that milk. it's a bad analogy but only thing that comes to mind ;)

you can always contact [email protected] with your RN # and ask for peace of mind.

attached document? are the prices different between your tesla account order page and motor vehicle order agreement document?

historically speaking, if you ordered and paid the $100-250 fee, the price you and tesla agree to will not change unless you make modifications to the order.

you can look at it as buying $100,000+ gallon of milk from amazon.com. they won't charge you until they ship it AKA tesla isn't going to ask for payment until delivery but that's the amount you're going to pay for that milk. it's a bad analogy but only thing that comes to mind ;)

you can always contact [email protected] with your RN # and ask for peace of mind.
Perfect, let me do that.

Thanks.

Reactions: w1n78
As long as you do not change the specs, Tesla should reduce the price. When I purchased my model S the price dropped between the order date and delivery, and the price I paid was adjusted. Call the SC and ask for an adjustment.
Can you even change things anymore? Had an Edit button to change my reservation configuration. I don’t see that anymore after 13 months of sitting on the config. Is there a cutoff date?

Can you even change things anymore? Had an Edit button to change my reservation configuration. I don’t see that anymore after 13 months of sitting on the config. Is there a cutoff date?

As far as I know no changes are allowed, but you should always check. This restriction seems foolish to me since any changes made before a cars hits the assembly line should be a non-issue.

Email to [email protected] Is best. They changed my Blue w cream to White w black just last week, with no penalty. i did not have any way to edit my own configuration.

our EDD was july 2022 (now aug-oct). once may came, the edit button and payment method section popped up. i think it was because we were within 60 days of delivery and they wanted to know what our payment arrangements were and if we wanted to make any final changes.
As far as I know no changes are allowed, but you should always check. This restriction seems foolish to me since any changes made before a cars hits the assembly line should be a non-issue.
it has been shared throughout this forum that if you ordered/located in the US, you can make changes with the "edit design" button and tesla will keep the base price of the car the same as the day you first ordered. i have emailed the order support people and they confirmed. we originally ordered our 7 seater MXLR in sept 2021. base price has gone up and we wanted to get the 6 seater instead. i changed from 7 to 6 seats and our base price stayed the same in may 2022 when i used the edit design button to change the seat configuration. and yes, i believe it's a non-issue before it hits the assembly line. regardless, tesla will sell the car even if the original party changes their mind. we got our MYLR 6 weeks early because someone had cancelled their order and it matched our config. so our SA contacted us and we took it.

of course, your mileage may vary as policies always change.