Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I own a Shanghai MYLR, why I have ordered a Berlin MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a made in China (Shanghai) Model Y Long Range since December 21. My one gripe with my car is the ride, which on Icelandic roads, I feel is overly harsh. I have 19” gemini wheels and run a couple PSI under spec. I have been looking into installing Öhlins DFV coilovers in an attempt to tune out the harshness.

I am happy with the performance of my car, so I have not felt the need to buy the acceleration boost upgrade and was not interested in the Performance model because on 21” Uberturbine wheels, I believed it would be unpleasant for my commuting.

Last week I had my car in for minor warranty work, just some rattles. The salesman in the Tesla office convinced me to take a new Made in Germany (Berlin) Model Y Performance out. I had already driven a M3P so didn’t think I would care especially for the MYP.

Well, imagine my surprise that this sporty variant has superior ride to my car. It’s firm, but the harshness and ‘crashiness’ of my dampers isn’t there. Despite this, it still has far superior handling. This Berlin car is now the same as what I have read about Stateside. After a few days mulling it over, I ordered the car. There’s a long wait to get it in blue, estimated March-May 2023 delivery, but I don’t mind waiting. I just wanted to share my experience, I am really excited to own this more-refined model Y.

Björn Nyland confirms what I felt in his video review (23:30 mark) Tesla Model Y Performance 1000km test

I’m happy you found a solution which works for you. Welcome future #teamblue member. I have a Blue 2022 MYP made in Fremont, California. I am looking forward to a tear down of Berlin MYP to see what might have changed between your china built MYLR and Berlin MYP. Would be interesting to see if there are differences between Fremont Built MYP too. Austin is not delivering MYP currently if anyone is wondering.
My Fremont, California built (12/08/2021) performance model Y suspension was surprisingly stiff in my first opinion. I thought I might have to sell the car or get coilovers and 18” or 19” wheels. After driving the MYP for 4,500 miles (about 5 months) either the MYP suspension & tires broke-in & mellowed a bit or I got accustom to the suspension. My previous car of 9 years had a very bouncy suspension, too bouncy sometimes. Now, The MYP ride no longer feels as harsh as when I first got the car and I look forward to driving the car. I no longer feel the need for coilovers and will probably eventually get a set of 18” or 19” wheels to use on long road trips to preserve the expensive 21” tires among other reasons. When driving over newer streets it is as pretty quiet in the cabin. However, older types of street construction with rougher surfaces transmit more road noise from tires in to passenger cabin but those types of streets are not too common where I live or they tend to be short sections of longer streets which have already been repaved.

There was a rumor that the revision "C" rear springs help the ride out, and the latest builds are getting them. Curious if this is a regional thing, or just a matter of the new rear springs being used now. Nobody has mentioned new dampers yet, but that could also be part of the equation as well.
Here is a mention of revision c rear springs and some other parts being installed on a MYP by tesla. Posting by a new member, so I tend to take these with a grain of salt. Never know if it is a troll or not.

Reactions: Imundo
Here is a mention of revision c rear springs and some other parts being installed on a MYP by tesla. Posting by a new member, so I tend to take these with a grain of salt. Never know if it is a troll or not.
interesting, it’s not uncommon for manufacturers to have a “European-spec” due to a historical reputation for having rough roads. It was reported some months ago that Hitachi automotive in Europe were providing shock absorbers for Tesla so, it is likely that there are new suspension parts in the new Berlin Model Ys, even though the design and geometry are likely unchanged.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I’ve always wanted to visit Iceland. Perhaps next time I’m in Europe. Last few visits kept taking us to Bulgaria to visit family & then driving to Greek islands (via ferry since I know someone will ask how I made tesla float) or train trip to Istanbul.
Icelanders absolutely love Teslas, they are taking over. It is possible to take your car on a ferry from Denmark to Iceland. There are superchargers around the ringroad so it’s easy to tour the country in your Tesla.

I first test drove the 2020 Model Y when they first came out and felt the harshness of the suspension especially in the Perf. About a year later I test drove the 21 perf and they felt way more compliant. That’s when I ordered my Model Y after feeling the damping was improved significantly. Here in the states fyi

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Imundo