Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I pace acceleration sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched a fully charged video of the jaguar ipace and must admit I would love to have the same sound effect in my tesla.whats the chances of Elon giving us something similar.

I was sort of pissed. I wanted it to sound like a Big Cat growling when you put the spurs to it. :D

But yes, others have asked for that too on this site for the Teslas. It can be turned on and off, and plays through the radio, so it's a very cheap software patch that won't bug folk who have religious beliefs that forbid it.

I first thought it is dumb. But if you are doing in-car video of performance driving, it would make for a better video. Turn it on for filming, turn it off for cruising.

Last edited:
I first thought it is dumb. But if you are doing in-car video of performance driving, it would make for a better video. Turn it on for filming, turn it off for cruising.
It is dumb.

Also, if you're shooting in-car performance driving in something like a dual motor Model S and you want more "dramatic" motor noise than what the car already gives you, one solution is to mic the front motor and set up the mic's wireless transmitter in the frunk. The sound you end up with is pretty cool and you just add it to the sound mix as desired in post.

Reactions: CameronB
Nope dont get it at all

Where does this stop -
  • you want your heating to make sounds of an open fire too?
  • You want to put your foot down and wait for the box to shuffle through several gears before it finds one it thinks is usable?
  • How about belching a nice cloud of soot out when you start it up?
  • You want superchargers to have a puddle of diesel and sand to paddle in?
  • You want to queue up at the fuel station waiting for somebody who didnt even buy fuel to pay for their weekly shop?

It's all a bit sign at the top of the cliff "Danger of falling" for me.

If all cars were silent this conversation wouldn't be happening.

They should offer sounds as well as a virtual stick shift with clutch and all. That would be cool and might bring some of the die-hard petrol-heads over to Tesla.

I read so many YouTube and article comments where people complain about lack of sound and that they would never buy and EV because of it. Granted, Tesla is production-costrained and doesn't need to attract more buyers right now, but eventually, they might.

Reactions: liuping
Should legislation change tesla

I believe that has already happened. All existing EVs will have to have "noise" retro fitted.

New law to tackle electric cars’ silent menace to pedestrians

"From July next year [i.e. 2019], all new electric and hybrid models seeking approval in Europe will have to emit a noise when travelling at low speeds. Existing vehicles are expected gradually to be retrofitted with devices."

Hmmm ... I thought retrofit had been mandated ...

Not sure if The Mail is a more reliable source? :rolleyes:

Silent electric cars to be fitted with built-in noises to warn pedestrians | Daily Mail Online

" old cars will have to be retrofitted with alarms by 2021."

We've had (IIRC) retrospective legislation before that Punter had to pay for so I'm doubtful. If anyone should pay for retrospective legislation (other than the poor punter ...) I think its Government. Only reasonable for Car Company to be expected to build what the Regs are today I think?

This would do for me :)

Reactions: sidmini