Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace Plug at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Stupid question as I've had several Teslas now and they all use a UMC and NEMA 14/50R

...What does the iPace plug into at home? Do I have to buy one of those EV box things?
I'm just not finding much on their website.

What connector on the wall is what I'm asking?

thanks!

Let's also keep it on topic Tesla fan-bots. lol

Jaguar US web site says the iPace has a 7kW on-board charger. Pretty much any 30 amp or higher J1772 EVSE will allow it to charge at full speed. I could not find any indication of what EVSE might be provided with the car. Most likely it will be a (marginally useful) 120V charging cord. If you click "Jaguar Approved Home Chargers" it takes you to the ChargePoint web site. ChargePoint Home is a nice 32 amp residential EVSE with built in energy usage monitoring that is available as a hard wired version or with a NEMA 6-50 plug. If you want to buy an EVSE with a 14-50 plug, they are available from JuiceBox and Clipper Creek. Most 30A+ EVSE come with a 6-50 plug.

Reactions: BluestarE3
It requires a type 2 charger. You can use the standard plugin but it will take 90 plus hours to charge..

Stupid question as I've had several Teslas now and they all use a UMC and NEMA 14/50R

...What does the iPace plug into at home? Do I have to buy one of those EV box things?
I'm just not finding much on their website.

What connector on the wall is what I'm asking?

thanks!

Let's also keep it on topic Tesla fan-bots. lol

If Jag doesn’t offer a 240 V capable charge cord, buying a Tesla UMC and a Quick Charge Power J-dapter is one of the best options for both home and mobile use. Cost is reasonable and flexibility is second to no other solution (that I know of).

GSP

this looks slick

JESLA JR

It would let me use my NEMA 14/50 as is, and plug into the iPace. With Tesla parts! lol

what a rip the car doesn't come with such a NEEDED part.
At least the iPace is $17k less than the X I was looking at...

so, $550 for this thing, or $520 for the 'hardwire' charge point one. (I'd just wire it to a NEMA14/50Plug)

The chargepoint thing is a lot more bulky, but adds wifi and crap...

between the two, given they are the same price after I buy the plug end.... I think the chargepoint is a better deal...

If the Tesla one was like $250 it would be the winner...

Last edited:
J1772 chargers are a known quantity now. If you need the portability of the Jesla one, then that’s a good option.

Otherwise any of the regular EVSE manufacturers’ products will serve you well. They’re basically all the same. You just have to decide on which Amperage level to buy. Personally I think all the extra bells and whistles of WiFi and such are basically useless. Your car should have all of the scheduling built-in. Being able to see the EVSE from the internet would be almost completely useless to me. In fact, I just use the UMC for our Model X and a Leviton 40a EVSE for the Model 3. Neither of them have any options other than a power button.