Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i-Pace Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reviews and comments - I was interested in the car, but the 13 hour full charge time is a problem. At that rate you can only replenish the battery pace by 18/miles and hour or so. That compares to about 30 miles/hour on my M3LR using the same 40AMP circuit. If I upgrade to a 60AMP circuit I can recharge at a 40/mile an hour rate at home. That's over twice the Jag's charging capacity.

I typically drive less than 100 miles a day, so for either car the battery pack is fine, but often on weekends I have extra driving chores to run and often recharge during the day. With the Tesla I rarely need to top up during the day, but the few times I have had to I typically charge for under 2 hours. With the Jag, given the lower initial range and the longer charging times, that would take me nearly 5 hours to get the same range (the difference between the standard 240 Jag range and the 310 mile Tesla range if over three additional hours), plus whatever time extra I need for my weekend tasks. That's a time penalty I'm not willing to pay, and so for me the M3 is the preferred car. Still, I applaud Jag for bringing another attractive EV to the market.

Some corrections and additions to various posts and articles.
  • Range, mixed driving, loop, SoCal, hilly terrain, 59°F,. ACC set to 75mph, true avg speed 41 mph, = 250.0 miles, no hypermiling, AC and radio on, carrying 200lb of cargo.
  • Simulated engine noise must be hidden somewhere. I can't find it yet. So many complaints for a feature that isn't on by default.
  • Dynamic Mode operation changes the ambient lighting (all four doors) to red from the default blue.
  • "Laggy console" is perhaps 0.1 sec for typical functions. Not sure what people are used to.
  • Well integrated with iPhone via Carplay but you can switch back and forth rapidly.
  • Nav is pretty darn good, and the British female voice makes you smile.
  • It DOES have OTA updating.
  • HUD works well and is configurable. Not my cuppa, but it's good for a HUD.
  • Makes a light chirping warning in reverse even though it has collision detection.
  • SC/TC work well in heavy rain at WOT in corners and straights. Very sure footed, no lag or derating.
  • Two levels of regen. The second level is stout.
  • "Experts" who claim Jag cannot coast with PM DC motors are wrong.
  • One foot driving does not exist. It will slow to ~3 mph then free-wheel, it will actually roll backwards in Drive on a hill if you don't tap the brake. Better one-footing than Tesla, but that goes without saying. Bolt is the benchmark in true One Foot.
  • AFAIK, it lacks a true "kW consumption" display, it just has a radial bar graph. It has the silly kWh/100mi style reporting. Will not report regen # > 99.9kWh/100mi, but will accumulate data on regen energy saved per trip. Trip meter is additive. All trips are logged.
  • Cluster is highly adjustable. Highly.
  • Sound system is very good.
  • Lots of storage areas everywhere. Lots of SS USBs, and a SD slot. 12v power at trunk.
  • Very relaxing to drive once you have it setup to taste.
  • ACC is not quite up to GM standards, but close. That means pretty darn good. No false signals yet.
  • Auto-Steering should probably be used only on freeway, but it won't stop you from using it elsewhere. Requires 'hands-on' every 20 seconds. It supposedly will detect if you are falling asleep. Not going to test that right away.
  • Tall people will like it. Even with a helmet on.
  • You never have to glance at the center console unless you want to.
  • Volume and temp is knobs. It can tell if people are in a seat, and only turns on the seats that are occupied. Heated and cooled.
  • 360° View is not up to Cadillac spec, but neither is anyone else.
  • Rear mirror is NOT digital. Uggh. Windshield is internally heated.
  • Once you watch the 1 minute video, the temp control is gravy. But I figured it out at night, in 10 miles while driving. Why 'experts' say it's complex is beyond me. No, it's not a 1976 Pinto A/C + heater. It's a heatpump with 4 zone and seat control, so it's not going to be as simple as a light switch. Until you set it up. Then you never touch it again, it's automatic.
Thanks for the reviews and comments - I was interested in the car, but the 13 hour full charge time is a problem. At that rate you can only replenish the battery pace by 18/miles and hour or so. That compares to about 30 miles/hour on my M3LR using the same 40AMP circuit. If I upgrade to a 60AMP circuit I can recharge at a 40/mile an hour rate at home. That's over twice the Jag's charging capacity.

I typically drive less than 100 miles a day, so for either car the battery pack is fine, but often on weekends I have extra driving chores to run and often recharge during the day. With the Tesla I rarely need to top up during the day, but the few times I have had to I typically charge for under 2 hours. With the Jag, given the lower initial range and the longer charging times, that would take me nearly 5 hours to get the same range (the difference between the standard 240 Jag range and the 310 mile Tesla range if over three additional hours), plus whatever time extra I need for my weekend tasks. That's a time penalty I'm not willing to pay, and so for me the M3 is the preferred car. Still, I applaud Jag for bringing another attractive EV to the market.

80% charge (187 EPA miles) for the Jaguar in 42 minutes is currently available at 49 sites in the USA. There will be at least another 8 live over the next four weeks.

Last edited:

With 9% on the dash, it took 10 hr to reach 99% using a gen 1 JuiceBox 40. That the most I had to charge it so far.
I had to make a choice between the Model S, Model 3 (day one knife in back), and the i-Pace FE. I wanted a luxury EV sedan that had a reliable 200 miles of range with 4 picky adults. I have an ICE car that will go 500 miles non-stop in high end luxury, but a 200mi EV will actually cover all the driving I've done in the last 4 years. Every morning it has a full tank.
This will get some folk upset, but I don't see either the Model S or Model 3 as 2019 luxury cars, and the back seat ingress and egress is poor. Heck even the fronts are easier on the Jag.

With 9% on the dash, it took 10 hr to reach 99% using a gen 1 JuiceBox 40. That the most I had to charge it so far.
I had to make a choice between the Model S, Model 3 (day one knife in back), and the i-Pace FE. I wanted a luxury EV sedan that had a reliable 200 miles of range with 4 picky adults. I have an ICE car that will go 500 miles non-stop in high end luxury, but a 200mi EV will actually cover all the driving I've done in the last 4 years. Every morning it has a full tank.
This will get some folk upset, but I don't see either the Model S or Model 3 as 2019 luxury cars, and the back seat ingress and egress is poor. Heck even the fronts are easier on the Jag.
They're considered premium cars, not luxury.

They're considered premium cars, not luxury.

For the price of a Premium EV, you can get a Luxury EV with the i-Pace FE. It is missing some amenities, but not too many.

And if the Jaguar is considered luxury, then what class are the newest luxury cars? Massage seats, reclining rear seats, rear HDTV's, all-wheel-steering, digital rearviews, hands free autosteering, long range night vision, etc, etc.

Last edited:
For the price of a Premium EV, you can get a Luxury EV with the i-Pace FE. It is missing some amenities, but not too many.

And if the Jaguar is considered luxury, then what class are the newest luxury cars? Massage seats, reclining rear seats, rear HDTV's, all-wheel-steering, digital rearviews, hands free autosteering, long range night vision, etc, etc.
In the eye of the beholder and all that.

Chrome, stitching and bling do nothing for me whereas battery tech and performance are hallmarks of a good EV.

If you want a foot rub then hire a servant.

The Jag looks nice but in reality it’s a small, low efficiency CUV from an Indian car company masquerading as a British one who outsourced to Austria with no track record in this space.

In the eye of the beholder and all that.

Chrome, stitching and bling do nothing for me whereas battery tech and performance are hallmarks of a good EV.

The Jag looks nice but in reality it’s a small, low efficiency CUV from an Indian car company masquerading as a British one who outsourced to Austria with no track record in this space.

This is my definition of Luxury level 1: Shortly after purchase, you can hop in a warm or cool car, and you don't need to touch anything or set anything. There are is no special procedure to jump in the car quickly and easily, and tear out of the garage. Others can drive the car with no instructions in complete safety. It's comfortable for both long trips and sport driving. The center display can be turned off with no significant loss of function. Buttons and knobs on important features. No need to take your eyes off the road for navigation or any other reason. Good visibility in traffic. Blind spot checking mirrors, and steering wheel vibration when you cross a line. You can see further than most sedans (sedans are now morphing into the new shape). You can see inside the car at night without disturbing the driver. You don't have to apologize to rear seat passengers, and even injured or elderly passengers can get in and out easy, and stay warm or cold automatically. Storage areas in the car for everybody. Tablet mounts are optional and available for the rear seats. Sound system is very good. You can go over speed bumps at high speed when necessary, and cross mildly flooded intersections (20" of water or less).

Example, alarm company called 4 days after purchase. I was out of bed and on the street in <2 minutes, and beat the LEOs to the site. I was warm, and had nothing to focus on but driving fast and safe.

There are things like the programmable HUD, simple track computer for multiple racers, highly adjustable quality seating, 360° view or view by each camera, fully programmable instrument cluster, programmable driving dynamics cover everything from rutted fireroads/deep snow/comfort/track at the push of a button, etc, as well.

Easy, fun, safe driving is luxury at its most basic concept. It does lack a digital rearview mirror, which I cannot understand. But the nicer appearance of the interior is fashion. Not a necessity for me, but it does sell cars. Tesla spent time making and attractive aero exterior, but didn't work as hard on the interior, where the driving and seating is actually done.

Jaguar is like Dodge/Chrysler and Budweiser. Made in the same home country, but owned by foreign interest. Austria makes the KTM. If you have any doubts about Austrian skill, you need to ride one. It was a selling point for me. Bay Area car builders or Austrians? Not a hard choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: kablammyman
Looks like 84kW DC charging is the upper limit for US cars.

Buyer Beware !

ipace%20charging_zpslhwomyow.jpg

The 100kW update got released last month. Both 100kW charging and OTAs get unlocked with the same at-dealer upgrade (Jag's reference number for the upgrade is H159).
I had expected that H159 update was the one they were doing at the US landing port. Maybe not. Either way, if you don't already have 100kW on your Jag when you get it, tell the dealer to make the upgrade.

EA have almost all of the 230 or so 150kW+ chargers that are live in the USA, and they use ABB hardware. The ABB hardware has already been compatibility-tested with the I-Pace.

So unless the North American connectors have some sort of problem with high-power charging, there should be no issue.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman