Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid $7000 for EAP (not a typo)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a lot of talk on the Tesla-centered social media and/or YouTube channels about Tesla now making AEP (Advanced Auto Pilot) available for $6000 versus the $12000 for FSDC. (Don't leave off the "C" for Capability!)

In my case, I think of it as being a $7000 expense.

I modified my Model Y order during the one week period (circa July 2020) when they announced but had not yet begun the $1k price increase to $8000. Ever since then, I've felt that I had set myself up to pay twice as much as I was comfortable doing.
The combination of an FSDC price increase to $12000 _AND_ the availability of instead paying $6000 for EAP has, sort of ironically, made me feel better.

I've not been able to get my Safety Score up past 91 or 95, so I've been unable to try out the latest software... and I've been wondering about the wisdom of my purchase. Now however, I can mentally trick myself into thinking that it's not so bad. If I was going to get AEP from scratch, it would "only" be $1000 cheaper than the FSDC package I instead purchased.

Now I can view it as a $1000 gamble that FSD will one day be a real thing.

I can live with that decision.

I agree with the C, and in fact that's how its sold in Europe as far as I know.

I also agree with using logic tricks to make the soul fell better.

But, if we're being honest with ourselves:

I paid $3K for NEAP (removed $2K from from the $5K EAP purchase price to get the NEAP price)
I paid $3K for the FSDC gamble (official pricing)

You paid $3500 for NEAP (not official pricing, but I think its fair to say half)
You paid $3500 for the FSDC gamble (not official pricing, but I think its fair to say half)

A new buyer has to pay $6K for NEAP (official pricing)
A new buyer has to pay $6K more for the FSDC gamble (official pricing)

In my experience NEAP hasn't improved over the last couple years so all Tesla really did was raise the price on something that's been static. All the effort has been on Tesla Vision (to make higher profit margins) and on FSD Beta.

I can't speak for anyone else, but $6K of my money has been totally freeloading on the back of Auto Lane Change. It's the only feature of NEAP/FSDC that I use often enough to notice I even have it. :)

There is entertainment value to FSD Beta, but I think it should be viewed as unpaid work.

Acronyms:
FSDC -> Full Self Driving Capability
NEAP -> New Enhanced Autopilot to differentiate from the pre mid-2019 EAP that included basic AP.

There's a lot of talk on the Tesla-centered social media and/or YouTube channels about Tesla now making AEP (Advanced Auto Pilot) available for $6000 versus the $12000 for FSDC. (Don't leave off the "C" for Capability!)

In my case, I think of it as being a $7000 expense.

I modified my Model Y order during the one week period (circa July 2020) when they announced but had not yet begun the $1k price increase to $8000. Ever since then, I've felt that I had set myself up to pay twice as much as I was comfortable doing.
The combination of an FSDC price increase to $12000 _AND_ the availability of instead paying $6000 for EAP has, sort of ironically, made me feel better.

I've not been able to get my Safety Score up past 91 or 95, so I've been unable to try out the latest software... and I've been wondering about the wisdom of my purchase. Now however, I can mentally trick myself into thinking that it's not so bad. If I was going to get AEP from scratch, it would "only" be $1000 cheaper than the FSDC package I instead purchased.

Now I can view it as a $1000 gamble that FSD will one day be a real thing.

I can live with that decision.

Its like a messy teenagers room when buying software packages in a new Tesla, you never know what you will find when cleaning up.