Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid full price for this car, why am I forced to deal with so many ads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On your Tesla you can turn on Points of Interest in the map. It shows you restaurants, stores, etc. Again, these are not ads. They show you places you can spend money …but are not ads. You have to turn it on or off. You can permanently hide them. An ad is something that comes up without your consent.

If you don’t tap on the upgrades menu item or the POI button… they don’t come up by themselves.

I didn't pay full price for this web browser, my head is fine. What's this about "actively deciding to click on the ad"? Why would I click on ads that I don't want? I'm not clicking on the ads, I'm annoyed by the ads. They clutter the menu of the car. That's my whole point.

I don't buy the arguments that "it's not an ad until you click on the ad" or "it's not a very big ad" or "it's an ad for awesome stuff for YOUR car!". It's an ad - sheesh!

Is this not unusual for a car to have ads in the *main* menu? And did no one else receive an urgent push notification about a "Loot Box" solar offer tonight?

That inbox is in the app, and has to be clicked on to read. There is no reason to click it if you dont want to. I hate advertisements as much as the next person (probably more actually), but this is grasping at straws to complain about something.

Don't click on the inbox if you don't want to see the Tesla ads. There aren't a lot of them though. A few messages a year maybe?

I think you're missing some information. This is what happened to me today, and I suspect it's what got the OP update. My phone chimed and I saw a notification from the Tesla app that said I had a message. I'm expecting a message from a Service Center so I opened the app to look, but it turned out to be the Loot Box advertisement. Maybe this is only happening on Android.

Reactions: lensovet and mgs333
I'm not going out of my way, nor digging into sub menus. 8% of the *main menu* is ads. That seems unusual to me for a car. No?
Honest question - What ad are you seeing in the menu? I looked at your photo and I see no ads there. Are you referring to the "upgrades" entry at the bottom?

I think one of the issues here is that you are mentioning all the ads you see in the car and no one knows what you are referring to.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Honest question - What ad are you seeing in the menu?
Does this look like an ad to you?

1674191309866.png

Or is it totally not an ad unless you click on it, just a normal thing that cars have on the main menu mixed in with the fog lights and stuff?

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Does this look like an ad to you?

View attachment 897745

Or is it totally not an ad unless you click on it, just a normal thing that cars have on the main menu mixed in with the fog lights and stuff?
But that’s not what it says. It simply says “upgrades”. Sorry you are offended.

Btw - looks like I don’t get the app notices because I didn’t opt in. My “loot box” shoe a “get started” button that says clicking is agreeing to notifications.

Thanks Dad, yes, cluttering the main menu, cluttering the app, and then finally exploiting the app to push ads to me was the motivation for my complaint.

Maybe think of it this way. The Tesla screen has, what, at least double the number of possible sub menus that any other cars have? Just imagine that half of them are gone. Maybe the bottom half. That way you won't see the ad at all! :)

But that’s not what it says. It simply says “upgrades”. Sorry you are offended.

So if the ad says "Click here to purchase" it's an unusual ad to have on the main menu of a car, but if the ad says "upgrades" then it's just totally normal? Are you really arguing that this slight difference in phrasing distinguishes traditional cars from ad-based cars?

Tough crowd here. Seems the reactions range from:
  • "The ads aren't that big, there's still plenty of room on the screen to drive the car safely"
  • "The ads aren't that bad, cuz it's awesome stuff for your car, and you know you want it"
  • "The ads require you to click on them for purchase, so technically it's not actually "an ad" until you've fully completed the checkout process"
  • "The random spamming to your phone only happens sometimes, randomly, and you can just opt out of major functionality if it bothers you"
Am I crazy? Did all of you folks previously have cars with *more aggressive* ads? Would anyone care to offer up an example brand?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Tough crowd here. Seems the reactions range from:
  • "The ads aren't that big, there's plenty of room to drive the car and have ads"
  • "The ads aren't that bad, cuz it's awesome stuff for your car"
  • "The ads require you to click on them for purchase, so it's not actually an ad until you've completed checkout"
Am I crazy? Did all of you folks previously have cars with more aggressive ads?
I really hadn't noticed the "ads", as you call them, so I went to my car and tapped the Upgrades menu item. My car says there are no upgrades available. Not even an offer to sell me a Ginzu knife or a Ronco smokeless ashtray.

You'd kind of think that Tesla would make a deal with restaurants to pop up a menu so you can pre-order snacks to be delivered to you at your next supercharger stop. Now that would be an ad worth griping about - though it actually would be a nice service!

But why does your car have an "Upgrades" option on the main menu? Is that not an ad? Did your previous car have a for-purchase option in the *main* menu? And did it ever spam you about solar panels on a random Thursday evening?
My car does not send me spam. Tesla might, but the car does not.

Until I blocked them, my previous car dealer used to send me spam trying to get me to make appointments for one service or another. They would mail all sorts of come-on offers to try to get me to trade in my car for a new one. Probably sent emails to that effect as well, but, since I blocked them, I did not have to see them.

What do you think of all those supercharger icons on your map? I guess you could twist those around and call them ads as well, since they are Tesla displaying opportunities to purchase electricity from them. And, when you bring up a supercharger site and see lists of amenities, are not those ads as well? And there are even POI icons on the map for things like gas stations. Gas stations?? For a Tesla? Horrors!

I guess you could even say that the Service button on your Tesla app is and ad for you to use Tesla to repair your car - especially once it's out of warranty.