Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid full price for this car, why am I forced to deal with so many ads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new owner, I didn't like the push message from the app yesterday, which seemed like it was something important which made me click it, only to find it's an ad for solar, I was a bit annoyed but I wasn't sure if this is a regular thing (which would annoy me moderately).

I don't mind the upgrade menu in the car.

Now let me tell you something that happens in the Bolt that may blow your (op's) head wide open...

Every once in a while, there will be a sudden, loud voice announcement from the car, telling me that this vehicle is equipped with OnStar but only has basic functionally and to click the blue OnStar button to speak to someone to add premium features. It startles me everytime.

I think you're missing some information. This is what happened to me today, and I suspect it's what got the OP update. My phone chimed and I saw a notification from the Tesla app that said I had a message. I'm expecting a message from a Service Center so I opened the app to look, but it turned out to be the Loot Box advertisement. Maybe this is only happening on Android.
I got this and it is only the second time in 10 months. I too have android and you can limit these messages from the app. Sadly it may limit your other messages you care about. It slightly annoyed me but it is not worth getting upset about. The upgrades tab is on the menu in the car because you can add OR remove features (Enhanced auto pilot, FSD, premium connectivity) which change the way you interact with the car. It is there to make the experience better, it is not an ad. It is no different than having an app store on your phone, a place to shop for upgrades. Where else would you put it?

• Helpful
Reactions: APotatoGod
But why does your car have an "Upgrades" option on the main menu? Is that not an ad? Did your previous car have a for-purchase option in the *main* menu? And did it ever spam you about solar panels on a random Thursday evening?
You are tying the app to the car and although they are connected, they are not the same. I have to forcefully disable push notifications from a lot of apps, Tesla is no different there. In the car there is no notification, nothing in your face. The upgrade tab is specifically that, want to upgrade your car, click here. That is not an add, it is an option and one you can ignore or use. I used it once to try out FSD for a month, but I had to select it and purchase. It was not asking me to.

Reactions: MrG_NY
Only ads I see are in your loot box and you need to click get started. In your profile across the top there are cards your car, reservations if any, get Tesla Insurance etc. But you have to go in the profile page and select. In the car never got an ad.

Only ads I see are in your loot box and you need to click get started. In your profile across the top there are cards your car, reservations if any, get Tesla Insurance etc. But you have to go in the profile page and select. In the car never got an ad.

I now understand what OP is talking about. I had a flat tire and tesla gave me a low tire pressure warning on the screen...Clearly that was an advertisement trying to sell me a new tire. Damn you Tesla!

What ticked him off initially is that he got a chiming notification from his phone telling him he had a message. That message was about the Loot Box. Same thing happened to me. I dropped everything to check the message because I'm in communication with a service team.

Seems to me when my free Premium Connectivity expired, a message notification was appropriate. But when it's a Loot Box ad for solar (especially when I already have solar), that's spam.

Reactions: lensovet
Exactly. Tesla is exploiting the fact that I need to use the app and allow notifications for regular usage of my car, and they are using that advantage to push ads at me.

In other words, my car is spamming me and I can't do anything to stop it other than to disable some core functionality. Not sure why everyone thinks this is normal and OK.

edit: Or can I? This app setting seems new, and seems promising. Maybe I'll just go back to complaining about the menu. 🤪

1674237196656.png

Last edited:
Exactly. Tesla is exploiting the fact that I need to use the app and allow notifications for regular usage of my car, and they are using that advantage to push ads at me.

In other words, my car is spamming me and I can't do anything to stop it other than to disable some core functionality. Not sure why everyone thinks this is normal and OK.
That's one notification letting you know how the loot box works and referrals. You probably won't see much after this if at all.

edit: Or can I? This app setting seems new, and seems promising. Maybe I'll just go back to complaining about the menu. 🤪
IMG_2387.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy
1. You have to opt in to get ads from the loot box. That's why most have never received them. It says it on the screen if you open it.
2. I think the OP knows he's being a troll about "ads" in the menu with the upgrade option. Those used to be only available on the website and were put there as a convenience to owners. There are no notices, pop-ups, or ploys to make you navigate to those and by definition are not ads.

Almost every car that has sirius, XM, or radio services have the option to subscribe on their menu...do you really consider these ads as well?

This may be the most ridiculous thread I've seen on TMC...

Guys, you don't have to "opt-in" for the ads, you don't have to dig into the Loot Box, you don't have to have a certain phone brand, and disabling all important notifications is not a great solution. Your phone just bleeps on a random Thursday with an urgent message about solar panels or flamethrowers or tunnel tickets or whatever Elon feels like selling you today.

Anyway, the app does have an option to disable "SMS News" which hopefully works, although this solar ad was neither "news" nor "SMS".

And for the record, this is what I currently see when I open the Loot Box. It does not appear that I have signed up for any ads.

1674240443604.png

1. You have to opt in to get ads from the loot box.

I received a chiming notification from the Inbox (not the Loot Box) telling me "Loot Box credits await" if I order solar. That's what the OP is complaining about. I just went to Loot Box and saw a big "Get Started" button below fine print saying that if I click it I agree to the terms and conditions. I've never clicked it, so am not opted in. Right?

I received a chiming notification from the Inbox (not the Loot Box) telling me "Loot Box credits await" if I order solar. That's what the OP is complaining about. I just went to Loot Box and saw a big "Get Started" button below fine print saying that if I click it I agree to the terms and conditions. I've never clicked it, so am not opted in. Right?
Correct
You are not opted in.